Review by ZShulfer -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outt...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ZShulfer
Currently Reading: The Storm Runner
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zshulfer.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Review by ZShulfer -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outt...

Post by ZShulfer » 23 Nov 2018, 23:07

[Following is a volunteer review of "If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You want to make something out of your life, right? Wait, you're saying that you can't? Why is that? If you were to give me an excuse that includes the word "but," you're already failing. Making excuses doesn't help anyone, which is why I recommend that anyone who is struggling to make something of their life to read If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts: A No-Nonsense Guide to Happiness and Success by Mark L. Wdowiak.

The full title of If Life Stinks should be a giveaway to what the book is about. It's not a story about success; instead, it's Mark Wdowiak encouraging his readers to do something more with their lives. He does include examples from his life or the lives of people he knows. Throughout the entire text; Mr. Wdowiak uses humor and genuine advice to encourage people to make a decision, commit to the decision, and take action to achieve their goals. He also makes time to tell his audience not to make excuses for not taking action. What happens in your life is your responsibility.

If Life Stinks is not the first non-fiction or self-help book I've read, but this is undoubtedly one of the most entertaining I've seen. Wdowiak has a way with words that grab the readers' attention. His witty text helps in delivering his points. What I appreciate most is Wdowiak’s ability to talk to his audience without coming across as condescending. Given the nature of If Life Stinks’s topic, a reader could easily be unwilling to take any advice presented in the text. Luckily, that doesn’t happen. As Wdowiak gives examples of how he's failed and made excuses throughout his life, he makes the whole book more open and relatable to readers.

I, for one, can appreciate the contents of If Life Stinks; because I've already been there. I have been the kind of guy who sees no fault with himself. And you know what? It's a pathetic way to live. I was miserable, blaming outside forces for my misfortune. It wasn't anyone's fault but my own for why I was failing at life. It took a coworker slapping some sense into me that I realized, "Wait a minute, I'm a punk. I need to change." So now, my goals focus on self-improvement. That also means “no excuses, no buts.” I didn’t necessarily need this book to start my self-transformation, but there was a lot I agreed with here. It felt like reading someone who shared experiences similar to my own. Wdowiak's book was able to strengthen my conviction for self-improvement.

Unfortunately, people who have already made up their minds about their lives may not be able to take Wdowiak’s words to heart. I speak from experience when I say that it is hard to get out of the "blame everyone but yourself" mindset. It's pretty addictive. Now there exists the possibility where said individuals could see this book as a wake-up call. They might see this book as a sign that they need to change their ways. However, those who are excessively stubborn may say that "this book is telling us the obvious," and never actually commit to change. And the unfortunate truth is that If Life Stinks’s words may not be able to reach the people who need it the most.

I thoroughly enjoyed If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts: A No-Nonsense Guide to Happiness and Success, so it earns a 4 out of 4 stars rating from me. I strongly recommend this book to adults for sure, as they need a reminder on how to continue despite their struggles. Also, while teenagers may be resistant to the book's teachings, it might still be ideal to introduce them to this book. This book may be what's necessary to get teens to prepare themselves for adulthood. We can't go through life making excuses for our mistakes or misfortune, so let's get our heads out of our buts and butts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZShulfer's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”