Official Review: Restoring Your Child's Mental Health

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Restoring Your Child's Mental Health

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Restoring Your Child's Mental Health" by Gracelyn Guyol.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most of us know a child or teen with ADHD, depression, or addiction. The incidences of these and other mental disorders continue to multiply even as we develop more medications intended to treat them. Current research shows that widely-used psychiatric medications trigger responses like mania, psychosis, suicidal behavior, and violent crimes. Parents and other advocates for kids’ mental health have been speaking out for decades, and they are beginning to be heard. In her 2018 book, Restoring Your Child’s Mental Health: 10 Innovative Drug-Free Treatments, Gracelyn Guyol makes a strong case for getting off of the meds and finding lasting cures through holistic treatments. Specialized nutritional supplements, energy psychology, and cutting-edge brain balancing technologies are among the treatment categories that are proving to be worthy challengers to drug therapy.

In 1993, through the help of a Naturopathic Doctor, Guyol discovered that the Wellbutrin she was taking for mood swings had likely caused several breast cysts; they had appeared after she began taking the medicine and disappeared when she stopped the drug. Determined to find non-drug treatments for her bipolar disorder, the author began researching holistic solutions for psychological conditions. Guyol cured her bipolar disorder using holistic modalities and is now an activist for drug-free mental health treatment for kids and adults. New research shows that these less invasive, non-medication remedies are not just effective but are often more effective than drug treatment. Very few of the holistic treatments have any adverse side effects or drug interactions.

Holistic treatments address the biological or energetic systems of the whole person, rather than just one, isolated disease or set of symptoms. Guyol details treatments such as nutrition therapy to balance brain hemispheres, which mitigates ADHD and autism spectrum disorders. Special formulations of amino acids stimulate the neurotransmitters necessary for treating all types of addiction. But aren’t holistic treatments expensive? Some are, but many - such as homeopathy, and the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) – require a consultation with an expert, but continuing treatments are inexpensive and self-administered. Recent Harvard Medical School research favors energy psychology modalities like the EFT as the preferred treatment for psychological trauma from experiences like combat, accidents, school shootings, and sexual violence.

This book is nicely presented, with beautiful formatting and a solid structure. Each section reflects a sector of holistic medicine and highlights several specific treatments. The book is impeccably edited; I found just one error. Guyol’s tone is educational and technical, and always professional. She explains in very accessible terms each of these practices, the science each is based on, and how they help restore health in kids and adults. The bottom line is this: Research shows that many psychiatric medications are quite dangerous and that the safer holistic treatments work. That makes this an important book. I devoured the book in one sitting, but it could be used as a reference guide to evidence-based holistic health practices.

I rate Restoring Your Child’s Mental Health 4 out of 4 stars. Gracelyn Guyol has fully researched holistic healing and distilled her experience in this important and relevant book. She has authored several books and an educational television series on healing mental disorders without drugs. We will likely be hearing more about homeopathy, brain training, tapping, and amino acids, as our culture continues to evolve, seeing the whole person and not just a set of symptoms. If treating the whole person is not interesting to you, or if you are a Western Medicine traditionalist, this book may not appeal to you. I recommend Restoring Your Child’s Mental Health to anyone who is interested in mental health issues. If you are concerned about side effects of medications or are interested in non-drug mental health treatments for children or adults, this book is a necessary addition to your library.

Restoring Your Child's Mental Health
View: on Bookshelves

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a well-researched and beautifully constructed book, and it would definitely make a good addition to the shelves of people interested in the topic. Thanks for the review!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

gen_g wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 10:19 This sounds like a well-researched and beautifully constructed book, and it would definitely make a good addition to the shelves of people interested in the topic. Thanks for the review!
Yes, it is a very well-executed book. Thank you for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I laud the author for her work both in search for a better cure for her ailment and in sharing her findings with us. I pray that those in similar situations will be benefited. Mental illness is a difficult battle; any new weapons will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your thoughtful review, Eva!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

At last! This book seems to offer wisdom and real solutions to getting our kids off prescription drugs, and on the path to health and happiness without the side-effects. This is a insightful review of a helpful book. Thank you!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I have always had misgivings about drug therapy when it came to mental health issues, but I find that the alternatives (e.g., psychotherapy) are usually not seen as very effective either. This is another side that seems to strike a balance between "just shove down these drugs" and "just tell me how you feel about that." As yet another weapon in the arsenal of mental health professionals, I'm very interested in the research behind all of these. Thanks for the recommendation and comprehensive review, Eva!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Miriam Molina wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 17:14 I laud the author for her work both in search for a better cure for her ailment and in sharing her findings with us. I pray that those in similar situations will be benefited. Mental illness is a difficult battle; any new weapons will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your thoughtful review, Eva!
Yes, this book feels important. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Miriam.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 19:27 At last! This book seems to offer wisdom and real solutions to getting our kids off prescription drugs, and on the path to health and happiness without the side-effects. This is a insightful review of a helpful book. Thank you!
Yes, I think her work is really valuable. Thanks for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

inaramid wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 20:53 I have always had misgivings about drug therapy when it came to mental health issues, but I find that the alternatives (e.g., psychotherapy) are usually not seen as very effective either. This is another side that seems to strike a balance between "just shove down these drugs" and "just tell me how you feel about that." As yet another weapon in the arsenal of mental health professionals, I'm very interested in the research behind all of these. Thanks for the recommendation and comprehensive review, Eva!
Yes, these holistic modalities are definitely filling a void in effective treatment for mental health issues. The research is pretty interesting. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I think it must take an enormous amount of courage to forego traditional medication and start on a holistic pathway, especially when it comes to one's own mental health. I am very opposed to the current trend of medicating children unnecessarily, and admire a well balanced and carefully researched alternative such as this. It was a pleasure to read your review Eva. Well done.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think we all need to find more holistic ways to treat many, many things not just mental disorders. There are great alternative approaches out there if we are just willing to research a bit. This sounds like a fabulous book, especially for those with teens. Thanks so much for the information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This book is nicely presented, with beautiful formatting and a solid structure. Each section reflects a sector of holistic medicine and highlights several specific treatments. The book is impeccably edited; I found just one error. Guyol’s tone is educational and technical, and always professional. She explains in very accessible terms each of these practices, the science each is based on, and how they help restore health in kids and adults. The bottom line is this: Research shows that many psychiatric medications are quite dangerous and that the safer holistic treatments work. That makes this an important book. I devoured the book in one sitting, but it could be used as a reference guide to evidence-based holistic health practices.
This is such a relevant topic, and it sounds like the book was well researched. I enjoyed your review, Eva.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

sonya01 wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 03:05 I think it must take an enormous amount of courage to forego traditional medication and start on a holistic pathway, especially when it comes to one's own mental health. I am very opposed to the current trend of medicating children unnecessarily, and admire a well balanced and carefully researched alternative such as this. It was a pleasure to read your review Eva. Well done.
Yes, the research was impressive. Thank you so much for stopping in and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 08:41 I think we all need to find more holistic ways to treat many, many things not just mental disorders. There are great alternative approaches out there if we are just willing to research a bit. This sounds like a fabulous book, especially for those with teens. Thanks so much for the information!
Yes, it's important work. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Cecilia_L wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 23:06
This is such a relevant topic, and it sounds like the book was well researched. I enjoyed your review, Eva.
Yes, the research was really interesting. Thanks so much for dropping by, Cecilia.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”