Review by Theresam -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outt...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Theresam
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Review by Theresam -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outt...

Post by Theresam » 21 Nov 2018, 10:31

[Following is a volunteer review of "If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the main focuses of the book If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But’s: A No-Nonsense Guide to Happiness and Success by Mark L. Wdowiak is the definition of success and how it differs from person to person. The author encourages the reader to identify his or her idea of success in order to work toward that specific goal. It is important to know what success means to you in order to develop a specific plan of action. Once the reader has identified and defined that version of success, the author stresses how important it is to be prepared for opportunities that may arise. Basically, if you aren’t prepared for an opportunity before it presents itself, you will miss an opportunity that could have helped you achieve your goal. The author stresses that each person needs to commit to the time and effort necessary to attain this individual version of success.

Another main focus of the book is the idea that the reader needs to stop making excuses for not achieving the success he or she desires. The author provides examples from his own life to illustrate how often people make excuses for their actions or inactions without even realizing it. The idea of accountability is central in this book. The author encourages us to identify areas where we blame others for negative aspects of our lives and to realize that we are responsible for our own decisions. Mr. Wdowiak requests that the reader sign his or her initials at the end of each chapter. This is a unique way to keep the reader engaged and accountable to make these positive changes.

I really enjoyed this book. The author provided great advice that was easy to understand. I especially appreciated the examples he provided from his own life that were relatable and comparable to decisions I have made in my life. In some sections, these examples illustrated how he took his own advice to his benefit and others showed the negative impact of bad decisions. He provided a thoughtful and honest description. It never feels as though the author is lecturing the reader, which tends to be the case with some self-help books.

The concept of signing my initials after each chapter was a unique approach. I felt that, by signing my initials, I was committing to making the changes discussed in that chapter. It also kept me actively engaged in the book and in developing my plan for change. I felt accountable and excited to commit to something positive. I also enjoyed the format of this book. The author included boxes containing topics described as “interesting facts” and “life landmines”. This format highlighted that particular fact and really grabbed my attention. Each of the boxes provided important topics beneficial to anyone interested in positive change.

I have read several self-help books and this one stands out as unique and very straightforward in the advice it provides. I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys self-help books or is looking to make positive changes. Because it provides great advice and really motivates the reader to stop making excuses and take action, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Theresam's review? Post a comment saying so!

VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ » 21 Nov 2018, 15:21

Hi, thanks for your in-depth review. It seems like you enjoyed the book a lot and, although I'm not the biggest fan of self-help book, it looks like an interesting read! I really like the idea of signing your name on each page - that's quite unique. :) You did a great job at summarizing the book and pointing out the positive aspects. I may give it a read! Thanks for your recommendation.

Beatus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: The last Assassination by James E Doucette

Post by Beatus » 23 Nov 2018, 04:40

Thanks for your reccomendation and for this nice review. It is definatelly a unique book as it requires one to sign initials at the end of every chapter...never seen before. I liked the fact that the author provuded experienses from his own life. Great job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”