Official Review: You Can Totally Do This

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Official Review: You Can Totally Do This

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Can Totally Do This" by Joy Tonbara Ikumoinein.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Joy Tonbara Ikumoinein says it all in the title: You Can Totally Do This: Stop doubting yourself, reach for greatness and be happy. Currently in the business of “coaching teens on personal development and educational advancement,” Ikumoinein does not promise the reader a perfect life but rather control of one’s life. She’s been lost before, she confesses in the introduction. Through her book, she intends to help others achieve what she wished she’d found sooner: clarity of direction.

Ikumoinein divides her advice into 13 chapters, with titles like “Believe in Your Own Awesomeness” and “Live the Life You Love” priming the discussion for each section. She elaborates on the titles and fortifies her message with inspirational stories, advice culled from other authors or sources, or anecdotes from her own life. The chapters end with a list of “steps to take” — exercises to do or questions to reflect upon in order to drive the lessons home. The bedrock that seems to ground Ikumoinein’s philosophy is the concept of self-love, which she firmly distinguishes from selfishness or greed. Throughout the book, she urges you to believe in yourself, love yourself, forgive yourself, and affirm your own worth.

Ikumoinein’s ideas are not groundbreaking by any means. In fact, much of the things discussed, such as self-limiting beliefs and the therapeutic value of adaptive self-talk, are iterations of concepts found in cognitive psychology. “We create our realities via our thought patterns,” Ikumoinein says, echoing psychologist Albert Ellis’ own assertion that “people disturb themselves by the rigid and extreme beliefs they hold about events.” The lesson is the same: What you think is what you become. Change your thoughts and the rest will fall into place.

While Ikumoinein obviously meant to focus on different aspects of self-development in the various chapters, there is quite a lot of overlap in them. Writing is one recurring advice, as Ikumoinein stresses the value of keeping a journal to document your ideas, track your progress, itemize the things that you are grateful for (gratitude journal), or perhaps jot down your accomplishments for the day (achievement journal). I agree with her views on the value of social relationships, particularly the merits of having a mentor as well as a strong support system. I also appreciate that she advocates counseling, a process that she herself has benefited from in the past.

Ikumoinein is a cheerleader through and through, and the optimism she exudes gives the book a very positive and sincere vibe. She is candid about her own life experiences, drawing from them as she touches upon issues like career development, body image, and abusive relationships. References to God indicate that she is religious as well, but this aspect is not so overwhelming that it runs the danger of alienating a non-Christian reader. “That you are alive is a reminder that God is not finished with you yet,” she states, but she goes no further and does not impose her values upon the reader. She mentions a platform she started for teenagers and young adults, called Living Joys, but she does not use the book as a mere vehicle for self-promotion. Instead, at the end, Ikumoinein provides a list of useful resources — of motivational books that she hopes readers will find as valuable and enlightening as she did.

I rate You Can Totally Do This 3 out of 4 stars, with 1 star deducted for several punctuation issues and typographical errors. While there is nothing much that would distinguish it from other self-help books out there, You Can Totally Do This is as inspirational as they come, like an upbeat soundtrack meant to knock you awake, lift your spirits, and give you that push to take a step forward and move. For people struggling with low self-esteem or depressive tendencies, this book could be a lifesaver. At the end of the day, however, self-validation should come from within. With her infectious positivity and genuine regard for her readers, Ikumoinein offers an excellent starting point.

You Can Totally Do This
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Self help books seems to be mainstream these days; nothing new to expect. However, this one is for teenagers finding it hard to know their purpose and helps fight low self-esteem and depression. I think I'll pass on this one though. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
eben1983
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eben1983 »

This is a good online material. It is self explanatory. Helping teenagers even youths, to put their feet on the right track.
Keep the good work going..
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like that the author is so positive. It shows by the chapters in her book. I feel like everyone could use a friend like her. Some one to cheer you on. Thank you for that fabulous review!
:tiphat:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really great resource for those who are in need of it. I love that the author is sincere and genuinely wants to help others with her book. Thanks for the brilliant review, as always!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

T_stone wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 01:18 Self help books seems to be mainstream these days; nothing new to expect. However, this one is for teenagers finding it hard to know their purpose and helps fight low self-esteem and depression. I think I'll pass on this one though. Thanks for the review
Yes, the contents would be very helpful for the young. Thanks for dropping by!

eben1983 wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 01:31 This is a good online material. It is self explanatory. Helping teenagers even youths, to put their feet on the right track.
Keep the good work going..
Helpful material indeed. Thanks for commenting!

Book Lover 35 wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 01:39 I like that the author is so positive. It shows by the chapters in her book. I feel like everyone could use a friend like her. Some one to cheer you on. Thank you for that fabulous review!
I do love the genuineness the author exudes in her writing! Thanks for dropping by!

gen_g wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 22:49 This sounds like a really great resource for those who are in need of it. I love that the author is sincere and genuinely wants to help others with her book. Thanks for the brilliant review, as always!
Thank you for commenting! For self-help books, I find that the "helper's" sincerity is a must, and the author certainly came across as genuine.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

There is a thin line between self-love and selfishness or greed. It is a good thing that the author firmly distinguishes between these two and builds on the philosophy,
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like the exercises included. However, I'm not sure there's enough unique about this one too make me read it. I'll keep it in mind, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Cotwani wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 16:50 There is a thin line between self-love and selfishness or greed. It is a good thing that the author firmly distinguishes between these two and builds on the philosophy,
Thanks for dropping by. This was one of the things that I really appreciated in the book.
kandscreeley wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 17:39 I like the exercises included. However, I'm not sure there's enough unique about this one too make me read it. I'll keep it in mind, though.
Thanks for commenting. The contents are not so different from other self-help books I've read before, but the overall positivity of the author is very uplifting in itself.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The message from this author sounds similar to other motivational books. I am glad the author has included personal experiences to reinforce the main points. Interesting review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It is seems like the author genuinely wants to help the intended audience. This makes this self-help book all the more helpful.

Thank you for the great review.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's interesting how this author manages to get so much information across in such a subtle way. That's quite unique for a self-help book, even if the content isn't groundbreaking :)
Loved your review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

inaramid wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 08:52 Ikumoinein’s ideas are not groundbreaking by any means. In fact, much of the things discussed, such as self-limiting beliefs and the therapeutic value of adaptive self-talk, are iterations of concepts found in cognitive psychology. “We create our realities via our thought patterns,” Ikumoinein says, echoing psychologist Albert Ellis’ own assertion that “people disturb themselves by the rigid and extreme beliefs they hold about events.” The lesson is the same: What you think is what you become. Change your thoughts and the rest will fall into place.
I really like the title of this book. It got me. While the advice in the book is not new, I admit I can't be reminded enough how important thoughts are. It's so easy to slip back into questionable self-talk. This sounds like a good primer for someone who is just beginning to look at cognitive patterns. I always enjoy your reviews, inaramid. Thank you.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

Thank you for the review! I am not sure if I will read this though. Nothing about this seems to really stand out as different to me from other self-help books. Although, I do like that the author gave you a list of material to dive into. Thanks again!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Self-help books are not my taste. But ai enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”