Official Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Official Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad » 19 Nov 2018, 16:54

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "True Blue Friend" by Roy DeMauro.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Is addiction a blessing or a curse? Are years of abusing your body worth years of savings others? True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro chronicles what addiction can do to you and for you. The author lays his life bare in unflinching style as he details the highs and lows of his daily existence. This is a powerful story of what you can accomplish with a little help from your friends.

Royce started drinking when he was eleven. He cherished his time with his “true blue friend.” Alcohol, drugs, anything he could get his hands on went into his body. The purpose of a job was to get enough money to buy the next pint and then move on. Almost die, time to try rehab. Almost die, time to try rehab again. Finally, at age 30, something clicked and AA meetings replaced his “true blue friend.”

Dedicating his life to AA and helping others changed Royce dramatically. He started a family and held a steady job. He became a sponsor and a speaker passing on his journey to sobriety to others. He set a stellar example for his two sons who became his pride and joy. Royce led a simple life, but it was a sober life rich in the rewards of being in control and paying it forward.

Royce was illiterate until his thirties. The grammar, word choice and sentence structure in this book are extremely poor. I’m not sure if this was to make the book more “real life” but there is no way it could be this poor if anyone proofread the book. The grammar does make the book difficult to read. The book also does not have a cohesive story. It appears to be more like elaborations on random diary entries.

Even with all the negatives, I found this book fascinating. I believed every word of this book. It was real, it was gritty, and it was the story of his way of life. Royce took someone to Wendy’s for a birthday lunch. He pounded the dents out of his son’s car. He went to AA meetings multiple times a day for years. An amazing glimpse into a redeemed life.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The grammar issues are significant and impact the rating. The shotgun approach to the story also negatively impacts the rating. The guts of the story are worthy of two stars. Fans of non-fiction, memoir-type books would enjoy this story. Recovering addicts or family members would also enjoy this book. Romance or action book enthusiasts would not enjoy this book.

True Blue Friend
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jcoad's review? Post a comment saying so!

Book Lover 35
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 » 21 Nov 2018, 00:01

It's a shame about the errors and that there is not much of a story. This books sounds like it could still be inspirational. I would be interested in seeing how his life changed for the better. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:

Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat » 21 Nov 2018, 00:49

Let's hope that someone takes this book and helps the author to rewrite it and have it edited properly. Stories like this need to be told so that perhaps someone on the brink will learn what the 'addicted lifestyle' is really all about, and find the inspiration to turn back. Love this review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 21 Nov 2018, 08:45

I'm glad that Royce was able to turn his life around. It sounds like there's good content in there somewhere even with all the errors. It would definitely be worth getting the book proofread at the very least. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 08 Dec 2018, 02:01

The plot is quite interesting. But sad to hear about poor editing. Thanks for this honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 113
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 449
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Shrabastee » 19 Dec 2018, 00:16

A motivational read it seems! Having first hand experiences of drug and alcohol abuse, he could warn others more effectively, I believe. It is admirable that he put all those negativity into doing something good. However, deliberately leaving a book poorly edited to make it sound more authentic does not at all seem a good strategy. Thanks for your very honest and insightful review!

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sushan » 28 Dec 2018, 19:27

I am not a big fan of self-help books. Anyway I enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍👍
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Kajori50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Kajori50 » 08 Feb 2019, 13:13

Even with all the negatives, I found this book fascinating. I believed every word of this book. It was real, it was gritty, and it was the story of his way of life. Royce took someone to Wendy’s for a birthday lunch. He pounded the dents out of his son’s car. He went to AA meetings multiple times a day for years. An amazing glimpse into a redeemed life.
Royce's life sounds fascinating. I can't believe he started drinking at 11.

Thank you for the lovely review.

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 01 Jun 2019, 01:51

Maybe he wanted the book to be real. Otherwise why wouldn't he get it proofread by a professional. I think I'll give it a try, but if it turns out too hard to understand might have to give it up. So, thanks for the great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”