Official Review: 90 Days to Live

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Re: Official Review: 90 Days to Live

Post by inaramid »

Very interesting. I love how you structured the beginning. It really makes you identify with the authors and the struggles they're going through. Looking forward to this.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 09:16 Very interesting. I love how you structured the beginning. It really makes you identify with the authors and the struggles they're going through. Looking forward to this.
I hope you enjoy it! It is so well-written that it's fun to read even for a non-fiction story! Thanks for commenting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

"No one ever seemed to sue a doctor for injecting them with mustard gas, but if he were to suggest a change in diet along with pancreatic enzymes, he would face ridicule and ostracism from his peers—and possibly even jail time."
That's quite sad. However, it is not an isolated occurrence when traditional and newer thinking collide. Both perspectives need review and there's no point preventing one from prevailing over the other if we have sufficient and valid reasons to do so. This is especially true if we're dealing with people's lives and those they may leave behind sooner than could be if newer remedies are found. Yet I would also choose to trust a doctor's word. My mum passed away too early from a similar state; like you, I also think it'll be good if there'd be more people who'd find better hope in further medical discoveries and innovations.

Thank you for your thought-provoking review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Espie wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 18:17
"No one ever seemed to sue a doctor for injecting them with mustard gas, but if he were to suggest a change in diet along with pancreatic enzymes, he would face ridicule and ostracism from his peers—and possibly even jail time."
That's quite sad. However, it is not an isolated occurrence when traditional and newer thinking collide. Both perspectives need review and there's no point preventing one from prevailing over the other if we have sufficient and valid reasons to do so. This is especially true if we're dealing with people's lives and those they may leave behind sooner than could be if newer remedies are found. Yet I would also choose to trust a doctor's word. My mum passed away too early from a similar state; like you, I also think it'll be good if there'd be more people who'd find better hope in further medical discoveries and innovations.

You have some good thoughts. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. It would just be nice if the doctors wouldn't discount the alternative treatments so quickly. Perhaps the two could go hand in hand. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 18:43
Espie wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 18:17

You have some good thoughts. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. It would just be nice if the doctors wouldn't discount the alternative treatments so quickly. Perhaps the two could go hand in hand. Thanks!
Thank you. :tiphat:
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Your review reminded me of another book recently featured on the OBC, called Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski. It also covers non-traditional methods of tackling this dreaded disease, mostly through dietary changes and supplements. I am fascinated by this topic and usually devour any books related to it, so I really appreciated reading your review. I'll be sure to add this one to my list and hope the author enjoys many years of being cancer free. Thank you for highlighting the merits of this book.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

sonya01 wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 01:29 Your review reminded me of another book recently featured on the OBC, called Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski. It also covers non-traditional methods of tackling this dreaded disease, mostly through dietary changes and supplements. I am fascinated by this topic and usually devour any books related to it, so I really appreciated reading your review. I'll be sure to add this one to my list and hope the author enjoys many years of being cancer free. Thank you for highlighting the merits of this book.
I reviewed that one too! They both have their merits. This one is a bit more about their actual lives. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really inspiring read, especially for those whom conventional medical wisdom does not work. I do personally think that science still has yet to scratch at many surfaces, so I'm definitely intrigued by the characters' thoughts on it. Thanks for the review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Cancer is a theme, arround which many books are written, both fictional and non-fictional. Nice review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 22:46 This sounds like a really inspiring read, especially for those whom conventional medical wisdom does not work. I do personally think that science still has yet to scratch at many surfaces, so I'm definitely intrigued by the characters' thoughts on it. Thanks for the review!
Sadly, I think we're more interested in making money than truly curing something. Maybe one day that will change. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sushan wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 02:58 Cancer is a theme, arround which many books are written, both fictional and non-fictional. Nice review. Thank you 👍👍
Very true. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

This is a very inspirational story for people battling cancer. I wish more research could go into alternative methods, as I've heard a lot of similar stories where alternative methods were used effectively. Thank you for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

prospero360 wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 21:35 This is a very inspirational story for people battling cancer. I wish more research could go into alternative methods, as I've heard a lot of similar stories where alternative methods were used effectively. Thank you for the review.
Alternative therapies can be very successful but don't make pharmaceutical companies any money. So I don't know if you'll ever see them becoming main stream. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This story is similar to a personal family member. The diagnosis was cancer, but the decision was to forgo chemo. The prognosis was 5 years - that was 12 years ago. Alternative therapies and diet made all the difference. I see a lot of similarities with Rodney's story. I would like to see what type of things he did to overcome his cancer - just to compare. Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 21:48 This story is similar to a personal family member. The diagnosis was cancer, but the decision was to forgo chemo. The prognosis was 5 years - that was 12 years ago. Alternative therapies and diet made all the difference. I see a lot of similarities with Rodney's story. I would like to see what type of things he did to overcome his cancer - just to compare. Great review!
Wow! That's amazing! I love to hear stories like that! There are great treatments out there that don't leave you as sick as chemo. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”