Official Review: The Sex Offender by Rocky Taormina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: The Sex Offender by Rocky Taormina

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sex Offender" by Rocky Taormina.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sex Offender is unlike any book I have ever read. Blunt, sarcastic, emotional; this story of a man whose life was snatched away before his very eyes will tug at your heartstrings. Author Ricky Taormina has done quite a number on this one. I desperately want to believe this story is actually fiction and not based on actual events in someone’s life, but that would be akin to burying my head in the sand.

Dayne Fuller is the world’s coolest dad. He is his teenage son’s best friend. The local police, however, consider Dayne a nightmare, as he keeps writing scathing articles centered on their misconduct in the newspapers. Then one beautiful day, Bad Luck herself waltzes in in form of Lisa, a promiscuous teenage acquaintance of Dayne’s son Anthony. Lisa tries to come on to Dayne and is upset when rejected. Then she decides to tell everyone that she was molested by Dayne and had to run away. She eventually spreads this falsehood all the way to the police station, and earns Dayne a bed at the county jail and eventually, prison. Will this newly minted sex offender be able to clear his name and prove he is the real victim of this heinous crime?

Written in the third person narrative, this story’s lifelike descriptions are gripping. The author presents each scene in sufficient detail; right down to the roses on the neighbors lawn. His descriptions of the protagonist’s lifestyle, both before and after prison feels so real I’m still struggling to make myself believe this story is fiction. We see both the primary and secondary characters mature in a way only life can make you. What’s more, the ending shocked me to my bones.

This is one book every member of today’s society needs to read. More so, everyone who has been affected by injustice in the judicial system either directly or indirectly. Now and then, we hear reports of people whose convictions were overturned after years in prison; some after decades! Increased awareness of this growing problem sometimes caused by some overzealous individuals can help curb the rate at which it is proliferating.

I absolutely loved this book. It is therefore with a heavy heart that I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. There were quite a number of grammar errors that were most likely missed during editing. I believe having this book edited one more time wouldn’t hurt. I am positive The Sex Offender would make a great book club read; in person or online.

The Sex Offender
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a great book. I hope he is able to seek justice somehow. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Pearlnavon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pearlnavon »

If the title "The Sex Offender" by Rocky Taormina doesn't catch your attention. I'm very much positive this intro will! Suspense is what i live for and i am very much looking forward to reading a full copy of this. I hope justice is served because lying is not right! Especially on such a sensitive serious topic.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This book addresses a very confronting trend that is occurring more and more frequently. How many aging celebrities are now facing court and jail time because some wannabe starlet decided to complain - even years after the abuse allegedly happened? Please don't misunderstand me, I know abuse does happen in lots of situations and it is a terrible thing with lasting tragic consequences. However, as in this story, how many false allegations have also ruined lives and relationships? Excellent review!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 23:54 Sounds like a great book. I hope he is able to seek justice somehow. Thank you for the review!
It’s a really sad and all-too-real depiction of what happens when the justice system is abused. Thanks for your lovely comments.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Pearlnavon wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 00:02 If the title "The Sex Offender" by Rocky Taormina doesn't catch your attention. I'm very much positive this intro will! Suspense is what i live for and i am very much looking forward to reading a full copy of this. I hope justice is served because lying is not right! Especially on such a sensitive serious topic.
You definitely should. This book is such an eye-opener. I don’t think we pay our tax dollars to have people oppressed. Thanks for your comment!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 00:33 This book addresses a very confronting trend that is occurring more and more frequently. How many aging celebrities are now facing court and jail time because some wannabe starlet decided to complain - even years after the abuse allegedly happened? Please don't misunderstand me, I know abuse does happen in lots of situations and it is a terrible thing with lasting tragic consequences. However, as in this story, how many false allegations have also ruined lives and relationships? Excellent review!
This is so true and I totally agree with you. Sometimes these cases are not as serious as they may seem. Yes, I know there are serious ones, but men are also citizens and can be victimized. Thank you for your comments.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I truly believe that things like this happen. It's so difficult. You want to believe someone when they say they've been raped, but it's easy to ruin someone's life with allegations as well. This sounds like a very emotional story. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 08:50 I truly believe that things like this happen. It's so difficult. You want to believe someone when they say they've been raped, but it's easy to ruin someone's life with allegations as well. This sounds like a very emotional story. Thanks for the review.
The story is tres emotional. It’s a very sad example of how evil people can fashion what should be a good thing into a weapon of destruction. Thank you for your comment.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

This sounds like a great book. I already want to read it, and your reaction to it, makes me want to read it even more. Excellent review.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Julie Green wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 03:20 This sounds like a great book. I already want to read it, and your reaction to it, makes me want to read it even more. Excellent review.
It really is. Thank you Julie!
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I have to agree that false accusations are unfortunately common, so this book is very relevant today. Even though this book is fiction, I can think of at least three situations in real life where an angry rejected girl/woman made a false allegation for revenge. I think these types of books help spread awareness to the issues that not only circle false allegations, but just the manipulative nature of women in general. I know this sounds incredibly sexist, but as a woman, I can testify that I have witnessed this type of behavior more so with women than with men. Even I have been a victim of false allegations from women. Unfortunately, the judicial system tends to favor women in these cases, which allows more women to make false allegations for revenge. I appreciate your review, from the depths of my heart. Thank you.
:character-ariel:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I looked at this book a couple of times when deciding on what to read and review next, but I wasn't quite convinced. Your thorough review, though, convinced me that it is worth a read, though I know that I'll likely spend a good part of the read being angry. Thanks for being so convincing!
Jaykik
Currently Reading: The Carbynarah Chronicles, Book #1
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaykik.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jaykik »

What happened to the main character is actually what happens everyday in the real world. Victims are the ones actually being punished instead of criminals. I look forward to reading the book. Thanks for the review.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Wow, I feel conflicted about this subject just reading your review. This kind of false accusation doesn't happen often but is devastating when it does. I will probably skip the book, but I really enjoyed your review. Your writing is very engaging.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”