Official Review: Killing Vincent; The Man, The Myth, and ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Killing Vincent; The Man, The Myth, and ...

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Killing Vincent; The Man, The Myth, and The Murder" by I. Kaufman Arenberg MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And when no hope was left inside
on that starry, starry night,
you took your life as lovers often do.
So goes the line from Don Mclean’s hit song “Vincent (Starry Starry Night)” about the life and death of Vincent van Gogh, painter par excellence, and known as the art world's “tortured soul.”

Dr. Arenberg, a retired ear surgeon and a van Gogh fanatic, begs to disagree. The final sentence of his preface resounds, “He was murdered.” Thirty years of studying Vincent’s short life of 37 years led Dr. Arenberg to that conclusion. His book presents his arguments to support this allegation; he explores the why, where, and how of the murder of this revered icon. He uses both the available historical evidence and the tools provided by modern forensic technology. Then he proposes a who! If you love art, know van Gogh, or enjoy forensics, this book will keep you hugely entertained.

While I waited for this book to download, I was worrying that there was an error because it was taking so long. Finally, I had this huge PDF file of 70MB.

Killing Vincent: The Man, the Myth, and the Murder is a fascinating book on many counts. The file is so large as it contains a lot of pictures; it’s a virtual art gallery of Vincent’s works. He is known to have produced around 900 oil paintings during his painting years (only ten years); the book has around seventy of them. Awesome! The author recounts Vincent’s life, focusing on his last three days. He is said to have shot himself in a field, walked a mile back to his quarters, and died 30 hours later. I got to know the people contemporaneous to Vincent well, as if I were there watching them as they interacted. Vincent and beloved brother Theo, friend Paul Gauguin, doctor Paul Gachet and son Paul Jr., and model Adeline all come alive in the pages. Heaps of evidence debunking the suicide theory are in the book. The author definitely convinced me. I was almost moved to curse those scheming hypocrites who killed Vincent! The book is arranged methodically; one can easily navigate the pages and reread portions desired. Most chapters end with a helpful summary. The author’s unreserved admiration for Vincent shines through; it doesn’t hurt that I am a Vincent fan myself. I so want to give this book a perfect rating. But I can’t.

While the book is heavily researched, the editing leaves much to be desired. There are various grammatical errors, including wrong verbs, inconsistent spellings and misspellings, faulty sentences, and bad punctuation. There are various sentences, even whole paragraphs, that are repeated for no apparent reason. We find at least 300 figures (photos, paintings, or diagrams) in the book; there are times when these are incorrectly referenced. Two sets of figures are numbered 80 to 93, adding to the confusion.

I support Dr. Arenberg’s dogged pursuit of the truth surrounding Vincent’s demise. He perseveres in clearing Vincent’s name of the stigma of suicide, although many in the art world think it “blasphemous” to say Vincent did not kill himself. Will any of the rich art collectors finance the further investigation of Vincent van Gogh’s death in 1890, so the truth can be told? I certainly hope so.

In the meantime, I urge Dr. Arenberg to polish his book, so it can be a masterpiece worthy of the master he “pays homage to.” Right now, the book gets 3 out of 4 stars.

P.S. Van Gogh’s paintings gained fame only after he died. He sold only one painting during his lifetime; it earned 400 Belgian francs in 1889 (equivalent to US$2000 today). He died a pauper. In contrast, his most expensive painting sold for US$82.5 million in 1990. His most famous work, “The Starry Night” (referred to in the song), is speculated to fetch US$300 million if ever it will be auctioned. Whatever way he died, one truth remains: Vincent’s star will shine forever.

Killing Vincent; The Man, The Myth, and The Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I wonder if he had lived on (no murder/suicide) and tried harder to promote his work if things might have changed? The stigma surrounding his suicide is what made people look in the first place, so maybe, without his death, we wouldn't even know van Gogh's work today?
Either way - this sounds super interesting :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I always found van Gogh a fascinating character, and I do think that it is really important for the world to find out more about the man behind all the beautiful artworks. I'm glad that the author took up this pursuit, although it is a pity about the editing errors. Thank you for the stunning review, as always! (:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 03:00 I wonder if he had lived on (no murder/suicide) and tried harder to promote his work if things might have changed? The stigma surrounding his suicide is what made people look in the first place, so maybe, without his death, we wouldn't even know van Gogh's work today?
Either way - this sounds super interesting :)
One would really wonder: what if? I also learned these: The song Vincent is continuously played in the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. While Dutch, Vincent's most prolific years were in France. He is also buried there. He suffered four broken hearts and one broken ear.

I had a great time with this book! Merci, Vincent!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

gen_g wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 03:53 I always found van Gogh a fascinating character, and I do think that it is really important for the world to find out more about the man behind all the beautiful artworks. I'm glad that the author took up this pursuit, although it is a pity about the editing errors. Thank you for the stunning review, as always! (:
It is a stunning book. While the "suicide theory" has been questioned before, this seems to be the first time that somebody is shouting "murder." Will we ever find the truth? "Can we handle it?" Reminiscent of A Few Good Men!

Hey, gen_g. The review for Never Enough Love is out. I respect the reviewer's take on it.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Miriam, this review is wonderful! :tiphat: Your unbridled enthusiasm for Vincent and this book shine through and it makes me really want to look deeper into this mystery. Thanks for the time and effort you clearly put into this.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

It must have taken you a great deal of time and utmost concentration to review this book; and you have done a good job with this one. I think if Van Gogh was still alive(lives long), he won't have made a name for himself. Thanks for the review Miriam.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

sonya01 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 16:38 Miriam, this review is wonderful! :tiphat: Your unbridled enthusiasm for Vincent and this book shine through and it makes me really want to look deeper into this mystery. Thanks for the time and effort you clearly put into this.
Even before I started reading, I was thinking "four stars!" It's really a shame about the errors. I wish everyone could read this book. Van Gogh must be smiling among the stars now. His dying words to his brother were, "The sadness will last forever ('la tristesse durera toujours' in French)." I hope the sadness has ended.

Thanks for the appreciation!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

T_stone wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 17:39 It must have taken you a great deal of time and utmost concentration to review this book; and you have done a good job with this one. I think if Van Gogh was still alive(lives long), he won't have made a name for himself. Thanks for the review Miriam.
We will never know. The man inspired many other artists and is believed to have paved the way for modern art.

Thanks for the visit!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 16:14
gen_g wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 03:53 I always found van Gogh a fascinating character, and I do think that it is really important for the world to find out more about the man behind all the beautiful artworks. I'm glad that the author took up this pursuit, although it is a pity about the editing errors. Thank you for the stunning review, as always! (:
It is a stunning book. While the "suicide theory" has been questioned before, this seems to be the first time that somebody is shouting "murder." Will we ever find the truth? "Can we handle it?" Reminiscent of A Few Good Men!

Hey, gen_g. The review for Never Enough Love is out. I respect the reviewer's take on it.
Indeed!

I have just seen the review, I'm glad that the reviewer enjoyed it still. :)
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Thank you about making your point about the story on PDF. I know that I would be curious why it was taking so long too. I love when books have pictures so I am excited about that. The book sounds interesting. Great review!
:tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm just not really into art. I admire the artist's talent as I could never do something like that, but I can't stare at the pieces for hours trying to puzzle them out. Nor am I really interested in the artist's life. For those that are, this would be fascinating I'm sure. I'll pass, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 23:42 Thank you about making your point about the story on PDF. I know that I would be curious why it was taking so long too. I love when books have pictures so I am excited about that. The book sounds interesting. Great review!
I do hope you can read the book and enjoy the pictures (especially the paintings), too. What's great about ebooks is that you can enlarge the pictures to see them better.

Thanks for the visit.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 09:09 I'm just not really into art. I admire the artist's talent as I could never do something like that, but I can't stare at the pieces for hours trying to puzzle them out. Nor am I really interested in the artist's life. For those that are, this would be fascinating I'm sure. I'll pass, though. Thanks.
I definitely don't have that talent. My specialty is drawing stick people. I also wouldn't be able to distinguish good art from bad, especially the abstract kind. But I love learning about how famous people lived (and died). While preparing the review, I checked the Net for other artists who died so young. One I found was Raphael Santi (the last of the Renaissance trinity with Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo) who is rumored to have died at 37 after a night of excessive sex. Can you call that self-inflicted and, therefore, a suicide?
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am interested in forensics as well as historical mysteries. This will be a great read for me. Thank you for the nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”