Official Review: Killing Vincent; The Man, The Myth, and ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: Killing Vincent; The Man, The Myth, and ...

Post by Manang Muyang »

Sushan wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 12:18 I am interested in forensics as well as historical mysteries. This will be a great read for me. Thank you for the nice review 👍👍
I do hope you enjoy Dr. Arenberg's thirty-year project. Thanks for the visit.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Another detailed masterpiece right here! I promptly dropped this book on my shelf. I love art, especially paintings, as I ten to get lost staring into their contours and blended colors. I also love a book with historical details, so even though the size is scary, I look forward to checking this out. It would be interesting to read on the background story and what is generally hidden from public knowledge (even if it isn't confirmed).
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Fabulous review. Makes me want to read the book in spite of the typos and grammatical errors. I do hope the author can review and correct the errors. Well done!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

CambaReviewer wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 09:18 Fabulous review. Makes me want to read the book in spite of the typos and grammatical errors. I do hope the author can review and correct the errors. Well done!
Thank you for visiting. The author's work deserves to be read. Do tell me what you think of his discoveries and his "reconstruction" of the murder.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Vickie Noel wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 08:57 Another detailed masterpiece right here! I promptly dropped this book on my shelf. I love art, especially paintings, as I ten to get lost staring into their contours and blended colors. I also love a book with historical details, so even though the size is scary, I look forward to checking this out. It would be interesting to read on the background story and what is generally hidden from public knowledge (even if it isn't confirmed).
It's not really long. The huge size is because of the pictures. (Toni the Superhero is at 22MB.) I am sure you will have a great time with this book, especially if you read it on a starry night.

Thanks, Vickie!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

What a treat that the book contains images of the paintings! I am a Van Gogh fan too and the thought that his work sold well only after his death is sobering - the moral I guess is to make great art, no matter what. I'd like to read this though I'll wait and see if it gets edited first because despite the great visuals, the typos would irritate. Thanks for a wonderful review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 16:21 What a treat that the book contains images of the paintings! I am a Van Gogh fan too and the thought that his work sold well only after his death is sobering - the moral I guess is to make great art, no matter what. I'd like to read this though I'll wait and see if it gets edited first because despite the great visuals, the typos would irritate. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Oh, I assure you you'll find the artwork awesome! Vincent lived to paint. A pity that he had such a sad short life.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 07:00 I support Dr. Arenberg’s dogged pursuit of the truth surrounding Vincent’s demise. He perseveres in clearing Vincent’s name of the stigma of suicide, although many in the art world think it “blasphemous” to say Vincent did not kill himself. Will any of the rich art collectors finance the further investigation of Vincent van Gogh’s death in 1890, so the truth can be told? I certainly hope so.

In the meantime, I urge Dr. Arenberg to polish his book, so it can be a masterpiece worthy of the master he “pays homage to.” Right now, the book gets 3 out of 4 stars.
Goodness, this book sounds compelling. As an artist, I enjoy artist bios, and this one is a must. It's intriguing that the suicide story is preferable to those from the art world. What has happened to the quest for truth? I digress. I am very interested in this story. Thank you for the brilliant introduction, Miriam.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

You will definitely enjoy this book. I do hope someday for everyone to know the truth.

Thanks for the kind words, Eva!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds really interesting. It's too bad bout the bad editing, but I will still add it to my want to read shelf. Great review! I loved that last line about Vincent's star shining forever.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 18:02 This sounds really interesting. It's too bad bout the bad editing, but I will still add it to my want to read shelf. Great review! I loved that last line about Vincent's star shining forever.
Thanks for the appreciation. I got to know Van Gogh a lot better with the book. The man was a lonely genius.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This sounds like a fascinating look into Van Gogh’s death! Because of his issues, it feels like it would be “easy” to murder him and have it ruled a suicide, relatively speaking, so while I haven’t read the book, I feel it’s a compelling question!

Have you seen the Netflix special Nanette? (Caution: It’s very heavy and deals with themes of mental illness, assault, strong language, etc.) There is a fantastic bit where Hannah takes down the idea that mentally ill people shouldn’t be treated because if they are we might miss out on things like Van Gogh’s art. If you’re not interested in the entire thing, it might be worth finding a clip of just that bit.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 19:45 This sounds like a fascinating look into Van Gogh’s death! Because of his issues, it feels like it would be “easy” to murder him and have it ruled a suicide, relatively speaking, so while I haven’t read the book, I feel it’s a compelling question!

Have you seen the Netflix special Nanette? (Caution: It’s very heavy and deals with themes of mental illness, assault, strong language, etc.) There is a fantastic bit where Hannah takes down the idea that mentally ill people shouldn’t be treated because if they are we might miss out on things like Van Gogh’s art. If you’re not interested in the entire thing, it might be worth finding a clip of just that bit.
I don't watch much these days, but I'll try to catch "Nanette." Van Gogh was a brilliant but misunderstood artist, and I don't blame Dr. Arenberg for being obsessed with proving that he was killed and did not commit suicide.

Thanks for visiting and sharing your sentiments.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 20:01
BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 19:45 This sounds like a fascinating look into Van Gogh’s death! Because of his issues, it feels like it would be “easy” to murder him and have it ruled a suicide, relatively speaking, so while I haven’t read the book, I feel it’s a compelling question!

I don't watch much these days, but I'll try to catch "Nanette." Van Gogh was a brilliant but misunderstood artist, and I don't blame Dr. Arenberg for being obsessed with proving that he was killed and did not commit suicide.

Thanks for visiting and sharing your sentiments.
DO IT DO IT DO IT ! (Sorry, I am over-enthusiastic as a human, so this is excited yelling, not angry or aggressive yelling.) It’s “stand-up comedy” so even though it’s intended to be watched you can listen to it while doing other things and still “get” it. However, the comedian (Hannah Gadsby) uses her special to subvert and critique the stand-up comedy structure and the last 20 minutes are very, very serious- insightful and important, but not funny at all. Again, major content warning, but such a smart take on important issues. Hannah has a degree in art and she isn’t afraid to use it as she explores her difficult themes either, which really sets it apart. As you can see, I can’t think of Van Gogh now without thinking of her special!

Thanks again for this great review and for letting me ramble at you. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A non-fiction book revolving around the life and (mysterious) death of Van Gogh sounds intriguing. It is good that the book is well-researched, well-document, and well-presented. Hopefully, those editing errors you mentioned were fixed by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”