Official Review: Brushstrokes of Heaven

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: Brushstrokes of Heaven

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brushstrokes of Heaven" by Tammy C. Heidenreich.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The author, Tammy C. Heidenreich, writes about her experiences of “Pain and Trauma touched by the Healing Hand of God” in Brushstrokes of Heaven. It is an inspirational nonfiction book written from the author’s perspective as a Christian and referring to the Bible and her communication with God. Brushstrokes of Heaven explores several themes such as grief, loss, bullying, low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts, accidents, post-traumatic stress disorder and family ill-health. It discusses the positive side of the trials and challenges faced by the author. There are twenty-seven chapters in the book. The first thirteen chapters describe the painful and traumatic experiences of the author. The other half of the book are reflections on the lessons learnt from the trials and experiences.

The author’s first experience described in the book was about an episode of physical assault during pregnancy and the grave health risks that event posed to her and her unborn child. She admits that she had always been afraid of childbirth and for several years, before ever being pregnant, had prayed for safe and uneventful labor. However, the fact that her first experience turned out to be so traumatic did not shake her faith in God as she sought to look at the events from a positive side.

I liked the way the author was able to see positivity in the experiences she had. I think it is a healthy attitude that can give one strength to endure and overcome life’s numerous challenges. It is so fundamental that non-Christian readers can relate to and identify with the core message of this book. I particularly enjoyed chapter 13. In it, the author identifies herself as someone who has too much empathy for others. I could thoroughly relate to that, and I found her submission on how to deal with it inspiring. I particularly liked this statement.
God continues to teach me how to keep boundaries on this empathy and use it only if He directs, for it can lead me to take on pursuits and spend my energy on responsibility not meant for me.
I also liked the author’s assertion that God’s first concern is not about our service for Him, but our intimacy with Him and our security in His extravagant love. The story in chapter 23 about balancing family life and other interests will appeal to a lot of mothers. I found it comforting to know that God loves me and understands the challenges I face in this area. I enjoyed reading the back stories that preceded the poems in the last section of the book.

I had great difficulty in identifying the few grammatical errors I found in this book, so I think it was professionally edited. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I was inspired by the message. It would be a useful addition to church and family libraries.

Brushstrokes of Heaven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CambaReviewer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Wow. Sounds like a strong woman. This book seems like it covers a lot of ground. It looks like it is worth the read. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Though the book seems to contain heavy themes, I like the fact that it is an inspiring read that talks about the word of God and the lesson learned by the author through out her trails and experiences. Nice review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one seems quite powerful. It's hard to hold on to faith during those tough times in our lives, and it sounds like the author inspires her readers to do so. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

Book Lover 35 wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 00:40 Wow. Sounds like a strong woman. This book seems like it covers a lot of ground. It looks like it is worth the read. Thank you for the review!
Thanks for reading and commenting! it definitely is worth the read!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 08:46 This one seems quite powerful. It's hard to hold on to faith during those tough times in our lives, and it sounds like the author inspires her readers to do so. Thanks.
Thanks for reading and commenting. You are right that it is very hard to hold on to faith during tough times in our lives. The author inspired me to look at everything I go through from a positive perspective by faith. Cheers!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 01:16 Though the book seems to contain heavy themes, I like the fact that it is an inspiring read that talks about the word of God and the lesson learned by the author through out her trails and experiences. Nice review!
Thanks for reading and commenting. I agree the themes are heavy, but then they are also everyday trials that we or people we know have gone through or may go through in the future.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I totally agree - a positive attitude can change anything.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

This book appears to have a very positive message and the author a strong woman with an enduring faith. The stories contained within the pages of this book could inspire and encourage others as they go through trials. Thanks for the excellent review.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

There is always a reason to be grateful. Sometimes, we only need to know that other people are in worse situations.

When we encounter difficulties, we ask, "Why me?" The better reaction: Thank God the situation is not worse. But when we are riding high, we ask, "Why not better?" The human is the master of discontent.

May the author inspire us to be more grateful for the blessings that always come every day, courtesy of a loving and merciful God.

Thanks for the inspired review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This book does not seem very interesting to me, but thank you for the detailed review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Hardships do not only present the greatest tests to our faith, but also the greatest growth. It would we interesting to see how the author overcame her struggles. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”