Official Review: Lost in the Reflecting Pool

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Lost in the Reflecting Pool

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost in the Reflecting Pool" by Diane Pomerantz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diane Pomerantz was shocked when it first dawned on her that her husband wasn’t who she thought he was. Though red flags had been present since the beginning of their relationship, Diane was able to rationalize them with the blinding affection she had for her husband. In her memoir, Lost In the Reflecting Pool, she describes the gradual process of waking up to the truly sadistic nature of her husband’s personality, and the immense task of rebuilding her life without her previous source of support.

At the start of their relationship, Diane is quickly won over by Charles’ charming and thoughtful gestures, and the instant connection they both seemed to feel. She overlooks several instances that cause warning bells to ring in her mind, such as the times her husband rants negatively about his parents, expressing high levels of unresolved rage and contempt for them. Their relationship is peaceful for the most part, and Diane explains away her husband’s bouts of questionable behavior as quirks. The couple move forward with plans to start a family, only succeeding after several years of frustrating difficulties with fertility. Upon Diane’s transition into motherhood, Charles suddenly begins treating her with direct contempt – almost as if the issues he had with his own mother were transferred to his wife.

The family faces several more difficult life situations, notably, the death of each of Diane’s parents, Diane’s own diagnosis of breast cancer, and eventually, the dissolution of Diane and Charles’ marriage. The author describes her battle with cancer with a raw authenticity of a survivor, giving a factual and emotional glimpse into the turmoil of that time. Witnessing the lack of care her husband exhibits for her during her difficult journey forces Diane to admit to herself that their relationship may not be salvageable. As if confirming her assessment, Charles continues to grow in his mistreatment of his wife, and by proxy, his two children.

This is an emotionally gripping and, at times, heartbreaking account of a marriage falling apart, and a woman learning how to build a life from scratch. The author’s story progresses along an even and logical timeline, building in intensity much like the building of the conflict within the marriage itself. The writing is clear and easy to follow, and the story is simple but engaging. One factor that increased the level of my interest was the fact that both Diane and her husband worked in the mental health field – she as a psychotherapist, and he a psychiatrist. Often, we idealize mental health providers as folks who ‘have all the answers’ or have unlocked a door to permanent happiness and problem-free living. This memoir demonstrates that none of us are immune to the problems that can plague a marriage, and that there are often no easy answers when it comes to choosing what is best for an entire family.

The author explains at the beginning that this memoir was written as a means for her to process through the memories of her marriage. As a reader, I found it fascinating to follow the journey of her and her husband’s relationship, from their early infatuation to the completely shattering end. The story is emotional without being melodramatic and delivers just the right level of detail about each of the family members involved. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to readers who are looking for memoirs about marriage and relationships, or specifically the topic of emotional abuse. This book also tells the story of the author’s journey through cancer and may interest readers of this topic. Overall, it is an emotional and (especially at the end) empowering read.

Lost in the Reflecting Pool
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"This memoir demonstrates that none of us are immune to the problems that can plague a marriage, and that there are often no easy answers when it comes to choosing what is best for an entire family . . . The story is emotional without being melodramatic . . . Overall, it is an emotional and (especially at the end) empowering read."
Thank you for this detailed review. I definitely want to read this one now.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one definitely sounds powerful. I find myself curious as to how exactly their marriage falls apart and how the author is able to rebuild her life. Thanks for a great review of such an apropos book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

They say that you cannot really truly know someone. Maybe it is the case for Diane, or maybe she's just blinded by her love for her husband for hwr to objectively know him. I think that this is an inspiring book with her story on how she lives a brand new life.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Diane has such a challenging and sad adult life. I hope that her relationship with her children is strong and helps her to be happy after the dissolution of her marriage. This book sounds far too depressing for my tastes.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm not interested in memoirs, especially heavy ones like this one, so I'll pass on this. I do commend the author for sharing her story and writing it so well. Great review!
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

Sounds very intense. I read the first two pages in a sample on amazon and they were well written and compelling, even if disturbing. I am interested in memoir and I am intrigued to see what happens and how everything unfolded. Great review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A Memoir recounting the relationship of a psychologist with her narcissist and abusive husband sounds like an emotional read. Abuse, aggressive breast cancer, death of her parents, she had a lot on her plate. It is too intense for me, but I am glad you found it interesting. Thank you!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

This sounds like an incredibly emotional read. At six months pregnant, I would probably cry all the way through. Best save it for later.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This is not my kind of book, but surely it can be inspiring for people who passed through serious adversities. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting and memorable non-fiction memoir highlighting marriage, psychology, betrayal, abuse, infertility, adoption, growth, and determination.The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and an excellent OnlineBookClub review.Congrats @drdcpmd on the BOTD selection.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I'm not a fan of memoirs so I am going to pass.
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

The reviewer's feedbacks are affecting me emotionally. Thanks for a complete review and a clear summary. Can't wait to be attached with this book.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

One factor that increased the level of my interest was the fact that both Diane and her husband worked in the mental health field – she as a psychotherapist, and he a psychiatrist. Often, we idealize mental health providers as folks who ‘have all the answers’ or have unlocked a door to permanent happiness and problem-free living. This memoir demonstrates that none of us are immune to the problems that can plague a marriage, and that there are often no easy answers when it comes to choosing what is best for an entire family.
How interesting! The fact that they are both mental health professionals must add a whole new level to such an emotional narrative.
Thank you for such an insightful review!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I'm not keen on memoirs especially when there's so much gloom. Reading the review is enough for me. Although, the book contains issues many women can relate with.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”