Review by ashleyfowler90 -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Hea...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ashleyfowler90
Currently Reading: Booked
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleyfowler90.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Review by ashleyfowler90 -- If Life Stinks, Get Your Hea...

Post by ashleyfowler90 » 13 Nov 2018, 10:10

[Following is a volunteer review of "If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But’s, by Mark L. Wdowiak, was a conversational read. By the time I was in the fourth chapter, I felt like I was personally being mentored by Wdowiak without ever meeting him. His stories were engaging and simple to understand.

Take responsibility: this is where Wdowiak begins his book. Take responsibility for your life. You have chosen to be here, either directly or indirectly. But with that slap in the face, he reminds us also to let us be us. Appreciate who you are now, what you do now, and where you are now. We must be reminded sometimes that everyone takes a personal journey and we need to take responsibility and acceptance of the journey that we are on.

Wdowiak claims that we already have everything we need, right here, right now to be successful. He uses an anecdote about music, painting, and literature as an example. There are only 7 notes, 3 primary colors, and 26 letters of the alphabet, yet when used creatively, there is no end to what those small amounts can do. Let me break this down a bit farther. Every (English) book you have ever read consists of the same 26 letters rearranged in different orders to make logical meaning. This example spoke to me on a personal level, as I want to be an author and I already have what other authors have, the same 26 letters lay before me ready to be arranged.

The three major ideologies are take responsibility of yourself, take control over your thinking, and take action on your behalf. But Wdowiak does not just leave us with three vague ideas; he breaks them down into further little steps through out his book. He teaches us to take our little successes and our failures to build them into larger successes. Toward the end of the book, he begins asking specific questions that require some time to ponder. What do I want in my life? What do I deserve? Those were hard questions for me, and there are more. But then a glimmer of hope, at the very end of the book, Wdowiak reminds us that we become successful the same way we climb a mountain, one step at a time.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. Wdowiak used some well-known stories to make his points and some that I had never heard of before. He uses this book to have a mentoring conversation, rather than a condescending tone, to engage with his reader. It was a delightful read with real and useful steps to become more successful.

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ashleyfowler90's review? Post a comment saying so!

chelhack
2018 Reading Goal: 29
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack » 29 Nov 2018, 00:31

I agree that it felt like I knew the author on a more personal level throughout reading this book.
Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”