Official Review: Touchstone by Linda Eatmon-Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Touchstone by Linda Eatmon-Jones

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Touchstone" by Linda Eatmon-Jones.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Linda Eatmon-Jones, Touchstone celebrates the life and accomplishments of Earle Francis Jones. The author thinks that it is important to praise and honor people while they are still alive. With this book, she has taken the opportunity to honor her husband's admirable life. More than that, she hopes that "Earle's life story and his legacy provide the inspiration for anyone in any stage of their life to realize that your thoughts create beliefs, beliefs create attitudes, attitudes create behaviors, and behaviors create results."

This non-fiction book is a collection of essays that could be considered a biography. It has nine major sections, which discuss different spheres of Earle's life. These sections are: "Family," "Church," "Education," "The World of Work," "Friends," "Boards, Associations & Foundations," "Congressional Lobbying," "Personal Business Relationships," and "Books, Books, Books." Family members, worshippers, educators, coworkers, friends, executives, and members of Congress contributed essays to celebrate Earle. They all share how Earle is a family-oriented, honorable, loyal, and dependable man who puts his family and God above all else.

What I liked the most about this book is that it is a labor of love. Linda Eatmon-Jones wrote a book to sing the praises of her husband's character and achievements. She got a lot of people to participate in the book. The fact that a significant number of people who know Earle wrote essays to honor him elucidates on the quality of Earle's persona. Earle's values, family life, work ethic, and acts of service impressed me. He followed the steps of his hard-working grandparents and his cultured parents. He raised his stepson as his son. He stood by his wife when she had cancer. He treats everyone with respect and gentleness. He has had a long, successful career. He serves his church in the parking ministry. He is an advocate for African-American causes.

Pastor Marshal L. Ausberry Sr. says that his "observation of Earle is that he is a man who desires deeply to live a life that is pleasing to God." David L. Cohen argues that "Earle's leadership, his presence, his credibility, and his stature all have played a central role in building Comcast's reputation on Capitol Hill." Congressman G.K. Butterfield maintains that "there is no doubt that Earle's service on the council furthered CBCF's mission to advance the global black community by developing leaders, informing policy, and educating the public. His professional drive is matched by his love for family."

I rate Touchstone by Linda Eatmon-Jones 3 out of 4 stars because it is a labor of love. It is incredible how a lot of people shared their sentiments about Earle and their experiences with him. Earle is indeed a role model for everyone to admire and follow. I deducted a star because I found more than ten grammatical errors in the book, which means that it needs another editorial revision. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy biographies and collections of essays about remarkable individuals.

Touchstone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

She sounds like a loving wife. That's sweet that she chose a book dedicated to him. Great review!
:tiphat:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I agree that we need to appreciate and honour each other, while we still live. It is a terrible shame that we mostly say good things about a person only at their funeral when they are not present to hear them. I had not heard of Earle Jones, but from reading your insightful review, he seems to be someone I would like to meet and spend time with. Thank you.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I agree with Caylie on the fact that people should be celebrated and honoured while they're still alive; not dead! This is a very insightful review and I'll like to indulge my myself in it. Also, my moniker is a short form of "Touchstone" :D
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that she loved her husband so much as to take the time to write this book about him. Still, it's not something I would normally gravitate to. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
owiezeek
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by owiezeek »

Yes people should be appreciated and honored why they are still alive... Well said and we need it done.... Thank you
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What a dear book - a wife honoring her husband with a biography about his leadership and his interesting life. Sounds really positive. And I enjoyed reading your review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The author thinks that it is important to praise and honour people while they are still alive.
I could see whether the author is coming from. It's better to be early than late, indeed, in more senses than one. Thank you for your well-written review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I absolutely agree with the author's view that people should be made aware of how much they mean to us while they are alive. This book reflects an unusual take on the author's part. But the approach is mind-blowing as it shows her (and others') appreciation for Earle and also creates an inspirational read. Thanks for the wonderful review, Yolimari.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The author thinks that it is important to praise and honor people while they are still alive. With this book, she has taken the opportunity to honor her husband's admirable life. More than that, she hopes that "Earle's life story and his legacy provide the inspiration for anyone in any stage of their life to realize that your thoughts create beliefs, beliefs create attitudes, attitudes create behaviors, and behaviors create results."
I agree with this sentiment. We often wait until we lose someone to value their accomplishments and celebrate their life. Why not do it while they're alive?
This biography seems very inspirational and, as you say, the most important is that it's a work of love and we should value and respect that.
Thank you for your review.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

What a wonderful way to honor her husband. He sounds like a great person.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is good that Earle's wife and friends had many good things to contribute to the book about his life and influences. The public doesn't always hear about all the people who have made a difference in others' lives. He influenced the "global black community by developing leaders, informing policy, and educating the public."
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A biography about the legacy of the author's husband sounds inspiring. It is touching that the author honored her husband that way. It sure shows her love to him. That each essay is written by a different man, shows how popular Earl is. Hopefully, the errors were fixed by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

What a keen eye you have! I am becoming stronger with this and appreciate your thoughts and insight. I love stories that are focused on love and admiration. I will look for the errors mentioned so I can become better with detail!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

This book sounds so inspiring. The author is right. It's good to praise and honor people when they are still alive and not after they have died.With Touchstone by Linda Eatmon-Jones, the author has taken the opportunity to honor her husband's admirable life. Can't wait to read it. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”