Official Review: The High Sign by David S. Heeren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: The High Sign by David S. Heeren

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The High Sign" by David S. Heeren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The High Sign, David S. Heeren relates his thirteen-year experience of frequent Bible study and compiling evidence for his conclusion that a comet will be the celestial sign of Jesus's Second Coming. Rather than contradicting the scriptures in Matthew stating that no one can predict the day of His coming, Heeren teaches, "The Day of the Lord comet will be the last and perhaps the greatest evangelism tool in world history."

The book includes fifteen chapters; each concludes with a helpful summary of the detailed content. Throughout the book, Heeren illustrates how God has used comets to accomplish His purpose through events in history. The book's final three chapters provide evidence that God will use a comet as a herald of Christ's Second Coming. Ultimately, when Christians recognize the celestial sign, they will have a final opportunity to share the gospel with unbelievers. Heeran expresses that the book's purpose is not to dwell on distress and tribulation, but rather to be prepared.

When I read the book's synopsis, my interest was piqued, but I wondered if it was going to predict the timeline of the Second Coming. Since the Bible teaches in Matthew 24:36, that "...no one will know the day..." I am always skeptical when books seem to imply otherwise. However, my concerns were soon put to rest once I started to read. It's evident that Heeran is a methodical Bible scholar who has done his research. Additionally, the book was organized, and careful attention was given to presenting the content in a manner that anyone can understand. The summaries at the end of each chapter were especially helpful in that regard.

On the other hand, my least favorite chapter was Comet Objects Shaping Up. In this chapter, Heeran lists specific objects, both animate and inanimate that he believes are referenced in the Bible as images of comets. I could fathom some of the items he includes such as in Revelation 5:1: "I looked again--and there before me was a flying scroll." I can visualize a flying scroll as a comet. However, there are in total 54 objects that Heeran describes as comet-shaped, and honestly, some of them seemed like a stretch to me. However, it isn't necessary to agree with all of Heeran's conclusions, in order to take away insights from the book.

The book appears to be professionally edited, as I didn't note any errors. I'm pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy Bible study related to the Second Coming of Christ. Those who are sensitive to content related to the tribulation may prefer to pass on this one.

The High Sign
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"Since the Bible teaches in Matthew 24:36, that '...no one will know the day...' I am always skeptical when books seem to imply otherwise. However, my concerns were soon put to rest once I started to read. It's evident that Heeran is a methodical Bible scholar who has done his research. Additionally, the book was organized, and careful attention was given to presenting the content in a manner that anyone can understand."
I was skeptical for the same reason before I read your review - now I'm curious to check this one out. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Thanks for your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

At the very least, I think this would be quite interesting. I'm not sure I'd agree with all that he has to say, but I'm still curious what he thinks. I believe the Bible also states that we will know more and more about what will happen the closer we get to that point. But, I agree that we will NEVER know the day or hour. Thanks for this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

Many events are already been linked to celestial activities. It would be interesting to read about a comet to be the sign of the second coming of Jesus Christ.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 10:14 At the very least, I think this would be quite interesting. I'm not sure I'd agree with all that he has to say, but I'm still curious what he thinks. I believe the Bible also states that we will know more and more about what will happen the closer we get to that point. But, I agree that we will NEVER know the day or hour. Thanks for this one.
Thank you for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

charmperit wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 15:52 Many events are already been linked to celestial activities. It would be interesting to read about a comet to be the sign of the second coming of Jesus Christ.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It would be interesting to hear why he thinks it would be a comet. The front cover is nice. Great review!
:tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 00:12 It would be interesting to hear why he thinks it would be a comet. The front cover is nice. Great review!
Thank you.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 10:14 At the very least, I think this would be quite interesting. I'm not sure I'd agree with all that he has to say, but I'm still curious what he thinks. I believe the Bible also states that we will know more and more about what will happen the closer we get to that point. But, I agree that we will NEVER know the day or hour. Thanks for this one.
I agree that we won't know the exact day, hour, minute, or second that He'll return, but I also acknowledge that the Bible does say that there will be signs leading up to it. I'm assuming it'd have to be one hell - Heaven? - of a comet, though, to differentiate from the many others we've seen and have yet to see... Thanks so much for the food for thought.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

MsTri wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 23:20
I agree that we won't know the exact day, hour, minute, or second that He'll return, but I also acknowledge that the Bible does say that there will be signs leading up to it. I'm assuming it'd have to be one hell - Heaven? - of a comet, though, to differentiate from the many others we've seen and have yet to see... Thanks so much for the food for thought.
I appreciate your comment. Because the author does a good job of supporting his findings, it does give you a lot to consider.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book seems well laid out and the review is great, but I am not interested in this book.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A theological book using cosmetic activity to predicate the Second Coming of Christ sounds ambitious. It is good that the author does a good job of supporting his claim. Well organized, well edited, and well written make it easier to. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it despite some of the stretched conclusions.. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Wilkister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister94.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Wilkister94 »

The High Sign by David S. Heeren sounds good. I will love to try it out because it will be interesting to read about a comet to be the sign of the second coming of Jesus Christ. Nice review.
Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don’t want to go.
Rob White
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book is not something I would read, but as always, you created a thorough review! Some of the information seems far-fetched. What I am interested in, is what other comet-shaped objects the author included!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”