Official Review: Animals teach us life by Nabi Gueye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Official Review: Animals teach us life by Nabi Gueye

Post by Kalin Adi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Animals teach us life" by Nabi Gueye.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who doesn’t like animals? I think we all do. There is a wide spectrum of varied and astounding species in this planet. They have remarkable skills, instincts and lessons for us. From a tiny ant to a huge giraffe, animals teach us what to do or not to do silently. GET INSPIRED WITH ANIMALS Animals Teach Us Life written by Nabi Gueye highlights profound lessons we can get from some animals in a simple style.

Knowing the importance of learning lessons from animals, author Nabi Gueye decides to write this raw diamond guidebook. In here readers can decide whether to read about an animal a day or the whole book in one sitting, for the book is very short with only 51 pages, one for each animal. Actually, most of the facts shared by the author will not be new for the readers; instead, the reader will get clever, keen teachings.

The truth is animals are worth admiring and valuing. They behave in ways that inspire us compassion, patience, strength, responsibility, respect, and unity. As smart creatures, the least we can do is to imitate these wonderful qualities in our life. This is why I chose to read this book.

For example: What can we learn about crocodiles, hares and pigs? In Nabi’s guidebook, the reader might get excited paralleling the patience crocodiles have when waiting for their prey to come closer with the patience a person must have before opening a business. Hares are skillful runners because of their spectacular strong hind legs, and what is the lesson we can learn from them? If we have a skill, exploit it. That skill can get us out of a pickle. And pigs are usually seen as filthy animals because they are always covered by mud. However, they do so to avoid sunburns. Lesson? If we want to achieve a goal, think first about the reputation we will get. Is it worthy?

Nevertheless, as I mentioned before, this guidebook is a raw diamond. I was very thrilled when I picked this book. I thought I was going to learn new things about these animals, but the “facts” about the animals mentioned in the book are quite basic, and sometimes I felt the author did not research about the animal. He just expressed his point of view or observation, such as when talking about cows, horses, and zebras.

Besides, in my PDF version, the formatting of the book needs to be edited. There are texts that overlap each other; for instance, the bear and the bee on page 7. I couldn’t read well the information about the bear because the text about the bee was on the top. The same error happens in other pages as well. Also, there are issues with typos and odd wording. In fact, the book can be better organized. When reading it, I couldn’t stop asking myself: What will the reader learn from this animal? An attribute? A behavior? A skill? How or when a reader can apply the lesson? For example: when talking about giraffes, the lesson is “If you are given the chance in whatever, make the most of it.” The reader will benefit more if sample situations are given and if it is explained how the lesson can be applied. Lastly, there is not a single illustration of the animals in the whole book aside from the cover. If we are talking about animals, the reader expects to see the animal in an image, or a drawing.

In sum, people buy cut diamonds because their brilliance and scintillation are beautiful. In fact, that is why cut diamonds draw anyone’s attention. I believe this guidebook will be a cut diamond once it gets professionally edited and it will be admired by quite a wide audience. But now it only gets a 2 out of 4 stars from me.

Animals teach us life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kalin Adi's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Contrary to your opening statement, I don't think it's everyone that likes animals; majority? Yes. The author's failure to do detailed research shows the lag in this book. Although this book has potential of being a great book, this is really a turn off for me. Thanks for honest review though.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

We certainly can learn from animals, in fact, we can learn from the weather, or a range of mountains, or a river. Although I probably would not read this book, the essence of it makes perfect sense and should inspire us to appreciate our natural world. Thanks for the review!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I can see a lot of potential in this book, it’s just a pity that the research and presentation fell short. I wonder if the author would consider a revised edition, as I really think this could be a wonderful resource for adults and children alike. Many thanks for highlighting the shortcomings for us.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've always said that editing in a children's book is even more important. They don't know the difference. It sounds like this could be a good book, but it still needs some work. I have no children anyway, so I'm going to pass.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is a book i will obviously enjoy... even though theses are information i might already be aware of, i would mind refreshing my memory of them.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

And here i thought animals had taught the author how to properly represent them and to give detailed accounts and factual information about them :D . I would like to say sorry on behalf of all animal lovers. I hope proper correction is done on the highlighted areas. Cheers
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

The book would better if there were pictures in it. That's too bad there wasn't any new information to learn from it. Thank you.
:tiphat:
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

If additional pictures would be of the same caliber as the cover art, I would actually prefer the author not add them in. However, in general I see your point. I would expect such a short book about animals to have beautiful pictures to along with each description. I think this has potential with the life lessons it can teach while tying that into the typical behavior of certain animals. Sounds like it needs a lot of work first.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

We all could learn in various ways, indeed. It seems this book extends that thought even further. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

The title sounds interesting but the picture on the front page page seems like the author didn't really put a lot of thought into it. I completely agree with you when you say that we should imitate the good qualities of these animals. Thanks for the nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”