Official Review: In Search of Self Without Selfies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: In Search of Self Without Selfies

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In Search of Self Without Selfies" by Victor V Bianco.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Victor V. Bianco's In Search of Self Without Selfies: A Historical Memoir is a non-fiction book in which the author reminisces about his past, narrating his journey of self-discovery and the significant events that impacted his life.

He begins with his earliest childhood memories and walks the reader through to his post-retirement years. Topping the list of his most memorable events is a month-long boat ride from Italy to Argentina, which he took with his family when he was seven years old. That set in motion a series of migrations and induced in him the "Marco Polo syndrome." It was a drastic change, and he explains why the move was necessary.

Through the eyes of a little boy, the author analyzes discrimination. At the time, he didn't understand why the children of this new world despised him. The silver lining is that the multiple instances of bullying helped him learn how to control his temper. The author also voices some strong political opinions and points out the reasons behind the unrest leading to the military dictatorship in Argentina. His poignant take on this topic will leave readers with much to reflect on. His first-hand experience as a college student during these dark times made me acknowledge and appreciate the perks of living in a relatively peaceful environment.

Memoirs are easier to read when the events appear in chronological order. With this one, the author did an excellent job of outlining and pacing the work, but on a few occasions, the plot tends to overlap. That, however, isn't glaring and doesn't detract from the reading experience. Bianco brought the text to life with vividly descriptive scenes which describe flora and fauna of the different places he visited, and It often felt like I was replaying the events from memory. I also like how he condensed over fifty years into less than two hundred pages. He provides relevant details, and nothing I read seemed to be out of place. The author is a retired social worker with years of experience exploring the human psyche. He presents these issues in a palatable manner, and I'm glad that the sections don't read like an academic paper.

Overall, this is a thought-provoking read that I will recommend to travel enthusiasts, people in search of their roots, and anyone interested in world affairs. The text is well-edited, with a few errors which are easy to overlook. I'll award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because It deserves nothing less.

In Search of Self Without Selfies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Sounds like my cup of tea! I found the title of the book to be attention-seizing. Thank you for the thorough and candid review. :tiphat:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love memoirs, travel reads, and books that remind me to appreciate the calm and safety in my life. This checks all those boxes. I wouldn't have known without your great review. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy memoirs more when they are in chronological order. However, that's not a necessity if the author still writes the book well. This one does sound intriguing, but I have too many other books to read right now. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like travel books. The title of this book is eye-catching. Also memoirs, are usually Interesting. Think I'll add this to my tbr lib. . thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It's not a type of book that I'm used to, but I'd be willing to try something different. Book sounds interesting. Great review!
:tiphat:
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

The cover is eye-catching. Though I have never tried any memoir I would love to try this once.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”