Official Review: Alabama History in the U.S.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Alabama History in the U.S.

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alabama History in the U.S." by Angela Broyles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alabama History in the U.S. by Angela Broyles is a research-based book written for young learners on the history of the state of Alabama in the context of other historical U.S events.

Broyles explores the accounts of the first white explorers in the state and their interactions with Native Americans. She later explores the battles between early settlers with Native Americans and how the latter lost their lands and their untold suffering. Further, the book covers slavery, the Civil War and the continuous persecution of the African Americans even after the war. Many accounts such as those of heroic figures like Hellen Keller, Julia Tutwiler, Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver and many others who played an important role not only in Alabama but also in the U.S. and other parts of the world are also included. The history of Alabama during the World Wars is also described as well as the beginning and development of power generation activities in the state.

I appreciated the fact that the language used in the book is accessible to the target audience. Every section starts with a list of new words that the reader can learn and enrich their vocabulary. The descriptions used are easy to understand and each topic explores basic information of the state’s history in a way that the reader will acquire knowledge in the research area and develop an interest in other advanced sections of U.S. history. The author also includes documents, sites, books as well as questions that can aid the learner in further research in every section of the book.

There are also many entertaining accounts covered in the book that easily held my attention. However, the accounts that were really moving were those of the people who lost their identity, lives and livelihood through dubious treaties and slavery. The characters in these stories vary in terms of their traits; some are courageous, others are cunning while many are selfish. The author presents the unforgiving nature of war in a way that shows the suffering that follows and what it took for the state to be founded. She also explores the cruelty faced by Native Americans as they lost their lands, homes and lives and the African Americans’ long wait for freedom even after the Civil War.

The book is well researched and includes many components of Alabama history from the people’s ancestry, to the origin of names, the history of Alabama’s governance and the U.S. as a whole, the people battles that took place including Alabama and the U.S.’ role in the two world wars. Broyles also incorporates the stories of various men and women whose lives impacted the nation and other people the world over.

Some structural and organization mistakes that include repetition appear in the book. Otherwise, Alabama History in the U.S. is an informative book that is a treasure for any reader eager to learn about the history of the state of Alabama as well as that of the U.S. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Alabama History in the U.S.
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I love the fact that the book is well researched, this means the information given is accurate and valid. This is interesting and I know I will enjoy it. thank you for the good review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad this one is well-researched. It would be good especially for children that live in Alabama and are curious about their state. It's not really something I'm interested in at the moment, but I do appreciate your review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I enjoy reading historical fiction because it gives me a glimpse of how people lived several years ago. Thanks for your candid review. I will be checking this book out.
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

I see this book as educational teaching the readers the history of Alabama, as well as presenting new vocabolaries to learn. It is good that it covered entertaining accounts to make the reading more enjoyable.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”