Official Review: Ignite Your Magnificence by Z Newell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Ignite Your Magnificence by Z Newell

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ignite Your Magnificence" by Z Newell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ignite Your Magnificence by Z Newell is an encouraging reminder that it is imperative to take regular inventory of our thoughts, emotions, and words to manifest what we desire. His goal is to help readers integrate their hearts with their minds to produce a life that is filled with passion and purpose.

This book begins with the author recounting a harrowing brush with death that landed him in the hospital unable to physically move or verbally respond. He was aware of all that was going on around him without the ability to interact or react. This occurrence led the way to a discovery that he has termed the Magnificent Quotient (MQ). During his long recovery process, he began to look at his existence from a different angle.

Using various personal anecdotes and citing works written by others, like Eckhart Tolle for example, he guides his audience on a journey to bring balance both internally and externally. Early on, he states that he prefers not to use the word 'self-help' to describe the process that he is suggesting you undertake. Instead, he would rather come from the perspective that all of us have extraordinary gifts already lying in wait on the inside of us. We don't need fixing, but we need to be able to tap into what is buried under false beliefs and wrong programming we might have received during our formative years. Once these faulty ideas are dealt with, and we have gently faced them instead of hiding from them, this practice teaches us how to acknowledge thoughts and make a conscious decision to either let them fester and wound us more or to discard them for better ways of thinking.

I liked the exercises that were given throughout the book to help dismantle erroneous thought processes. This isn't just a book to breeze through, but it requires thoughtful reflection as well as active participation to get to the root of what is causing a struggle in certain areas in your life. One example that the author gave was when he came home with an A-minus on a paper, and his mom asked him why he didn't get an A. I could relate to this experience because this happened almost word for word to me as well. The author was left with the impression that all of his hard work meant nothing and that he had to be a perfectionist. One suggestion he gives for uprooting this type of mental stronghold is to use a sense of humor to disarm its power over you. I thought that was a great idea because a person typically cannot have two opposite emotions at one time, and by laughing at something that isn't true, eventually, you will believe that it isn't.

Another aspect I appreciated was that certain sentences were set apart in bold lettering so that an idea could sink in. In addition, there were diagrams along the way depicting his explanations, so you get a good grasp on what is presented. This all contributes to a reader-friendly book.

Even with all of its wonderful components, I did find myself tiring of the phrase 'an aha moment.' Part of this may be that I have read a lot of other books in this genre, and this buzzword can be overused, in my opinion. For me, I would have liked to see a revelation of ideas described with other words because it got repetitive and lost its meaning for me.

I found only a few minor errors in the entire book mostly with missing commas. This in no way detracted from the quality of the writing, and this material seems to have been properly edited.

I am awarding this a 4 out of 4 stars with an accompanying message. For some who have had a lot of experience reading books about ridding oneself of past negative thoughts and emotions, this may be repetitive. However, there can be something good in reviewing what was once learned to see if it is being put into practice. Sometimes, we can learn from another person in a way we may not have been able to from someone else. I enjoyed this author's personal story, and he did put some new twists on what some might say are 'old ideas.' For those who do not like non-fiction books about improving oneself, then this is one you might want to skip.

Ignite Your Magnificence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I like a non-fiction self-help book, but to be honest, this one sounds much like all the rest with very few new ideas to bring to the table. So I’ll likely not read this one. Glad you enjoyed it tho.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I've had a lot of self books to read and this may be some sort of religion, however, no one person knows it all. What this author has may be slightly different from what others have. I'm here for that difference. I think I'll be checking this out later. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Near death experiences certainly have a way of making you take inventory of your life. It sounds like the author has some good advice to share with us, but I'm not into self-help books at the moment. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

As much as the author might cringe at the thought, this still seems like a self-help book. And I generally steer clear of them. The title is perfect though. I enjoyed your review. But I'll keep my magnificence rein in a little for now.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

sonya01 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 03:06 I like a non-fiction self-help book, but to be honest, this one sounds much like all the rest with very few new ideas to bring to the table. So I’ll likely not read this one. Glad you enjoyed it tho.
That is what I was thinking as I was reading it, but I didn't want to deter those who have had very little to no exposure to this type of material. I know when I was starting out, I read anything and everything on the subject to get a good grounding in it. I did like his story and how he got on his way to finding some peace in his life. Thanks so much for reading my review. I appreciate it! :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

T_stone wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 07:10 I've had a lot of self-books to read and this may be some sort of religion, however, no one person knows it all. What this author has may be slightly different from what others have. I'm here for that difference. I think I'll be checking this out later. Thanks for the review.
I didn't get the impression that this was based on any religion. This was more about the author going through an experience that led him to discover some fallacies in this thinking, how to deal with them and then going on to unlocking for himself a better life. I have read a lot of self-help too, and I always seem to find something that touches me in each one even if I don't agree with everything that may be said. Thanks for reading this. I sure appreciate it!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 08:25 Near death experiences certainly have a way of making you take inventory of your life. It sounds like the author has some good advice to share with us, but I'm not into self-help books at the moment. Thanks for the review, though.
I have also read a lot of self-help, and I always get something of value from each one even if I don't agree wholeheartedly with the author. However. at this time, I too am getting a little burnt out. I think it's time for a genre change for me for a little bit. Thanks so much again for reading my review! I love it when you stop by! :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Dael Reader wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 08:35 As much as the author might cringe at the thought, this still seems like a self-help book. And I generally steer clear of them. The title is perfect though. I enjoyed your review. But I'll keep my magnificence rein in a little for now.
I think you are right. For those who are just starting, this may be brand new material for them, and the author's story was compelling. I did like the idea of not needing to be fixed but rather tapping into what already exists in us. Thanks for reading my review. I sure do appreciate your comments and thoughts! :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The title really draws attention. This seems like an inspiring read.

Thank you for the great review.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Kajori50 wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 14:04 The title really draws attention. This seems like an inspiring read.

Thank you for the great review.
I thought the cover was very eye catching, and the word magnificence sounds so uplifting. I appreciate you reading my review! Thank you so much. :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”