Official Review: Individual Advantages by Brian S Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
EmunahAn
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Carry the Moon Across the Sky by Jillian Rose

Official Review: Individual Advantages by Brian S Smith

Post by EmunahAn » 06 Nov 2018, 04:03

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Individual Advantages" by Brian S Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Individual Advantages by Brian S. Smith explores different building blocks and ways that can help anyone maximize their full potential and hence contribute efficiently in the teams that they belong to.

In the book, the author recounts his experiences while growing up in a volatile environment that was marked by constant change and the absence of accountability. Now as a father and a professional, Smith shares the lessons he has learned along the way regarding personal growth. In the book, Smith appreciates the uniqueness in every person and explores various ways that can help one fully maximize the opportunities around them. One such lesson is the ability to be present and acknowledge one’s current environment. Smith also discusses individualism as a positive aspect when considered for the right reasons. Another great lesson included is the advantage of communication and the power of the written word in case of legal issues. Smith also encourages the reader to engage in introspection, though he admits that this process is quite personal.

One of the things that I liked about the book is its inclusion of the author’s personal stories. Not only do they contain invaluable lessons but they also helped me remember the author’s advice even after I had completed the book. Some of the accounts are quite hilarious and for a non-fiction book, this was an added bonus. Through the stories, I was able to grasp the messages being put across by the author and easily relate with the characters in the book.

Another great feature of the book is that it covers different spheres of a person’s life. Smith shares his experiences as a father and a husband that were learning points in his life. In one story, he shares his son’s experience with competitive bike racing and how he and his wife almost missed the toll that the sport was taking not only on his son but also on the family. With regard to his professional path, the author shares his encounters with various people who have influenced his career. Some were employees, bosses and even business associates. Each of them possessed unique habits and traits, some of them good and others bad.

The book is also well organized and edited. There were close to no grammatical errors. The accounts are brief and to the point. Most importantly, the author acknowledges that there are various paths towards success and each person is different and unique. Individual Advantages is appropriate for readers who wish to develop their own unique abilities and personal strengths while working on their weaknesses so as to benefit their teams. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Individual Advantages
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron

cristinaro
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: Winslow Homer from Poetry to Fiction by Reilly Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cristinaro » 07 Nov 2018, 07:18

I also happen to believe that for a team to function much better it should rely on those individual advantages that ensure the uniqueness of each team member and contribute to its success. I am glad the author also shares some personal stories as it could make his messages get through easier. Thanks for an interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

melissy370
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: The rise of Esther, by Paul Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 » 07 Nov 2018, 08:48

The author's life story intrigues me. Coming from a difficult childhood and learning from it, is commendable to me. I really don't care about self-help books, but I would read this one.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 81
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Shooting the Breeze with Baby Boomer Stars by Torchy Smith

Post by kandscreeley » 07 Nov 2018, 08:53

I appreciate that the author explores the uniqueness of individuals. It sounds like this book would be helpful for taking advantage of opportunities around us. Thanks for the review, but I'm avoiding the self-help genre at the moment.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Vickie Noel
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 295
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Altered Reality by Joel Knox
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel » 07 Nov 2018, 14:37

I like that the author expounds on individualism as a positive aspect when considered for the right reasons. Does he explain it conversely, individualism as a negative aspect? It's nice that the book contain a touch of humour. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel

sonya01
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya01.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by sonya01 » 07 Nov 2018, 17:39

There is always a big emphasis on teamwork these days and lots of advice out there on getting along with others, etc, so it's nice to see a book that extols the merits of individuality and encourages people to first develop themselves as individuals, so they can go on to function better as part of a team. It's a different take on the subject, and I appreciated you highlighting it to us. Thanks!

Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 102

Post by Franc93 » 09 Nov 2018, 02:45

Reading your review i feel the compelling urge to state that this book was surely meant for me. The main things talked about in it reflects my perspective as per now. GREAT review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”