Featured Official Review: Discovering Significance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Featured Official Review: Discovering Significance

Post by Mely918 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Discovering Significance" by Philip Giordano.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Discovering Significance by Philip Giordano details the author’s personal journey from self-doubt to empowerment. Through self-reflection and journal entries, Giordano is able to look back and see how events and people in his life have brought him to where he is today. The book also encourages the readers to chronicle their lives through journal entries. It provides suggestions and journal questions to help others in this process. The purpose of all this is to bring a greater self-awareness to individuals.

One of Giordano’s greatest focus in this book is finding a balance between love and power. He believes that too much of either can lead to unhappiness. It is better to seek a bit of both instead. Many of the stories that Giordano shares throughout this book go back to this concept. Additionally, he coaches his readers in using love and power to become better leaders and communicators in their own lives.

I enjoyed a lot of the stories that the author shared. He touched on many themes about life and relationships, which helped make this book a well-rounded read. I really liked that this book details a single morning in which he told all of these stories to his daughter. It was nice for the author to make himself vulnerable to not only his readers, but his daughter as well. This allowed for a better self-reflection process. Some of the things that Giordano touched upon were not easy for him to talk about, but he decided to share them anyways with no objections. He did this so that both he and the readers would learn more about him. Everything that he went through, whether good or bad, has molded him into the person that he is now. Additionally, I liked reading the journal questions and inspirational quotes that he provided at the end of each chapter.

There was hardly anything I found wrong with this book. It was a quick and pleasant read. I did find a few grammatical mistakes. They were mostly punctuation errors. However, the book’s content made up for it. They didn’t distract me from the overall novel. Another thing is that, at times, the dialogue between Giordano and his daughter seemed a bit unrealistic. I’m sure these issues are fixable with another round of editing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s a great self-reflection book about an individual’s personal journey through life. The book has a nice tone to it and flows well for the most part. My only suggestions would be to rewrite some of the dialogue and have an editor look through it for grammatical errors. This isn’t the best book for those who don’t like nonfiction or personal stories. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys journal writing and is looking to find more meaning in their lives.

Discovering Significance
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes

Like Mely918's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I found the author's point about healthy relationships being a balance of power and love very interesting, and a concept I have often observed and pondered on. Self-reflection books can often be overly narcissistic and indulgent, but after reading your insightful review, this one seems different. Good work!
Galnius
Currently Reading: The Last City of America
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galnius.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Galnius »

I find it interesting that self-help and self reflection are not put hand in hand more often. This is especially true considering how we base ourselves off of society and others. This book is definitely interesting due to that.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Thank you for this great review. I love books on self motivation and self reflection especially when it comes with certain tips, i would grab it immeadiatly. This is a must read for me.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A good self help book which seems different from a lot of self discovery books available with flat out points. Thanks for reviewing this.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This almost sounds like a cross between a memoir and a self-help. I'm glad the author was able to find his significance and that you enjoyed this one. I don't think it'd be right for me; it just doesn't sound appealing. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

As a former chronic journaler who has let busyness get in the way of writing, your review really makes me want to check this one out. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I have always wanted to write a journal, but never quite went on to doing it. This book sounds fascinating; I love it when the author is honest about their experiences. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

Too much of love and too much of power leads to unhappiness? :?: Well the way the author interprets these concepts has had me intrigued and i would pretty much like to read the book to find out how he came to this conclusion. Thanks
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Although not a great fan of non fictions, I enjoy these kind of books. They not only show the author's journey, but often act as eye-opener for others. Thanks for the insightful review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like self-help served in memoir style. The author seems to have struck a practical balance. Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think journaling can be very healing. I wish I had the patience to follow through because I've tried it a million times. Maybe this book will finally get me going.
I agree with you, letting yourself be vulnerable isn't easy but it's very valuable.
Great review, thanks.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

When I was younger, I used to write bits and pieces of my life in a diary. Then came social media where everything could be done virtually while at the same time connecting with loved ones and friends across the miles. Of course, some things are best kept private, and yet it's notable how transparent and unfiltered the author had been as he shared his true stories to his daughter and even to all.

Thank you for your thorough review of his work.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Yes! Writing about one's experiences in life, and the lessons from those experiences; shows that the author love to teach the world to learn from oneanother and ofcourse from him. I'll love a book like this because from this review, it sounds motivational, and informative.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I'll add it to my "want to read" shelve

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”