Official Review: Island People: Finding Our Way

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Island People: Finding Our Way

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Island People: Finding Our Way" by Henry R. Danielson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island People: Finding Our Way by Henry R. Danielson follows the author and his wife, Julie, as they teach high school in several communities and travel around the world in their various yachts. The first third or so is dedicated to their adventures teaching English for the Peace Corps on an island in Malawi, and the rest of the book is dedicated to various yachting expeditions and the author's experience teaching high school English in the United States.

Before going to Malawi, the author and his wife taught in a predominantly African American school district. Here and in Africa, the cultural differences - and even similarities - they had to navigate were quite interesting. I was touched by how the author described how welcoming the African American family he lived with was. In Malawi, he found people to be similarly kind, and his portrayal of the way superstition and science can collide was respectful and insightful.

Danielson's writing has a distinct tone that makes you feel like he's speaking to you directly, and the straightforward, wholehearted way he discusses his experience with other cultures is heartwarming and fascinating. This made the first part of the book a joy to read, as there's a personal touch added to the descriptions of foreign cultures and bizarre circumstances. In addition, the book is quite well-edited, with only one or two minor grammatical errors.

Unfortunately, I can't say I was as impressed with the rest of the book beyond the first third. The yachting expeditions started to feel quite repetitive after a while, and they were rife with terminology that was out of my depth as someone with no experience boating. This portion of the book was also disappointing, in my opinion, because it lacked the social insight into teaching students of different cultures in favor of a more traditional type of adventure. It felt jarring after the first part of the book, and I can't help but feel the accounts of their yachting adventures would be better off separated into its own novel.

Island People: Finding Our Way is a good memoir, but its lack of focus keeps it from being a great one. If you enjoy learning about boating and education, or have an interest in one and don't mind the other element, I highly recommend this book to you. The author's life is certainly rich, and there were many parts of this book I found thought-provoking. Due to its somewhat lacking organization, though, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Island People: Finding Our Way
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It is interesting to read about people's viewpoints and experiences with other cultures, as I am most unlikely to do anything like this myself. That's what I like about books - you don't have to go there to learn things. Lovely review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like I would enjoy the first third of the book but not much beyond that. I am not familiar with boating terminology either, and I'd probably get bored pretty quickly. I guess I'll skip this one for now; too many other great books to read. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

When I read the first line of your review, I immediately thought that this book wasn't for me. Regardless, the first third of the book seems impressive. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I am a teacher of English, even the yachting part may be irrelevant to me, i still want to read this because i think there something for me in it. Thanks for the good review.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I can definitely understand when you say that it got repetitive and hard to follow. It does seem like a book with promise though. Thank you for the review!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

It does sound as though this book lacks focus. I think that would have bothered me. Learning about the culture in Mulawi, though, sounds really interesting to me. Thanks for the great introduction to the book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

this book is not for me. but thanks for the review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”