Official Review: TrumpCare by John Geyman, M.D.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Official Review: TrumpCare by John Geyman, M.D.

Post by dragonet07 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "TrumpCare" by John Geyman, M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Healthcare has been a hot-button topic in the United States for years. It has been the cornerstone of multiple political campaigns, constantly appears in the news, and has widened the divide between the Republican and Democratic parties. But how well-informed is the average American citizen on the subject? Private insurance, single-payer systems, ACA (Obamacare), Trumpcare, the topic of healthcare is not just complicated; it can be downright confusing. That is why we must read up on information from the professionals—not politicians or lobbyists but experts in the medical profession and its ethics, experts like John Geyman, M.D.

TrumpCare: Lies, Broken Promises, How It Is Failing, and What Should Be Done by John Geyman, M.D., is a guide to the controversy of healthcare in the United States, including a look at the history, the present, and the future of this debate. The book, approximately 300 pages long, is divided into four main sections: “How Did This Happen?”, “What is Trump Care?”, “How TrumpCare is Failing”, and “What Now? Just Two Options Ahead”. Each section uses statistics, tables, graphs, and other academic evidence to provide a thorough but easy-to-follow look at this subject, all of which are appropriately referenced at the end of each chapter. By the end of TrumpCare, readers have the knowledge they need in order to make an informed decision on healthcare as well as Geyman’s own opinions on the matter.

I am not afraid to admit that I had only minimal knowledge of the healthcare issue prior to reading this book. I did know that, based on other first-world countries’ healthcare and medical issues that make it hard for my friends, my family, and me to get decent healthcare, I prefer the idea of a single-payer plan. However, I still needed to learn more if I were to truly make an informed decision. That is why I am glad that I came across Geyman’s book. It is very informative and detailed but still written simply enough that the average citizen could easily understand it. I even learned more about the history of the healthcare debate, something which I thought was more recent (perhaps Reagan era at best) but actual goes back to Theodore Roosevelt’s unsuccessful 1912 presidential bid. Geyman’s writing is also clean, compelling, and well edited with no noticeable errors. This kind of topic is normally boring for me, and I have gotten lost during similar books and articles because the terminology is foreign to me. I never had these problems with TrumpCare.

While the book is easy to read, factual, and well documented, I do not think it is for everyone. Obviously, based on the subject, it is most helpful for American readers. Non-Americans with an interest in American society and politics might want to read it, but I think that it is best suited for those whom it will affect most: American citizens. I should also warn readers that Trump supporters might not like what Geyman has to say. From the start, it is clear that Geyman has some critiques for President Trump and his policies. Regardless, the wealth of information he presents is incredibly valuable for Trump’s supporters and opponents alike. We all need to stay informed on the issues outside of our politicians’ beliefs, and TrumpCare is a great way starting point for healthcare.

If I were to pinpoint a flaw in Geyman’s writing, it would be his obvious bias against the current conservative agenda for healthcare. Personally, I am very liberal in my political leanings, so I was not so much bothered by Geyman’s bias. I also feel that even if I did oppose his views, I would have to give his thoughts some consideration due to his background as professor emeritus of family medicine at the University of Washington School of Medicine and as Chairman of the Department of Family Medicine (1976-1990). Still, I do not think that Geyman’s bias overtakes the book or outweighs any of the facts. Rather, the facts of the healthcare debate from both parties’ perspectives take center stage and remain the focus as Geyman draws his conclusions. Nevertheless, Trump supporters and other conservatives will want to approach his writing with a grain of salt and give Geyman’s views serious consideration.

Overall, I give TrumpCare by John Geyman, M.D. 4 out of 4 stars. I found it to be a very helpful guide to the healthcare issue that I will be returning to for quite some time. Geyman certainly knows what he is talking about, and it is a relief to see an argument about the state of and future of healthcare that is not overrun by misconceptions, blind belief in the free market, or overly-emotional testimonies. This author gives his reader the facts and then presents them with his conclusions on what should happen next in order to optimize healthcare in America. You might not like or agree with his opinion, but at least if you read his book, you will have the facts to back up your claims, no matter which side of the fence you fall on.

TrumpCare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dragonet07's review? Post a comment saying so!
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Though i am not American, i would love to read this book. I do have some knowledge on obamacare and reading this would help gather more knowledge since i love to be up to date on global issues. Thank you for this great review
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree that we all need to learn more about our healthcare system and how to fix it. BUT, I think a book such as this should be written from a non-bias angle. We need the facts so that we can make our own decision. I don't want to read someone that has already made my decision for me. For that reason, I will be skipping this one. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I don't want to read someone that has already made my decision for me.
The book I just read is doing that same thing, on many more issues than health care.
This happens in so many areas! "Facts" are presented, then opposing "facts", we have to read and research all sides of everything to try to find if a truth even exists. Once we've made up our minds that we finally have the real story, or as close as we can get, anyone who disagrees condemns us as brainwashed, sheep, uninformed, or misinformed.

Our choices seem to be to give up and believe nothing, which doesn't help, really. Or we can choose a side and stick to it against all arguments, assuming any so-called information that doesn't fit the view is a lie. Perhaps we're supposed to quit working, having a family life, and sleeping to devote our every moment to researching all these issues until we come to an understanding. Of course, by then, we'll be dead because that's how long it will take...

Ecclesiastes 12:12 My son, beware of anything beyond these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

Ever since Trump become president, his name has been a subject for all manner of literature. Health care is a fundamental pillar of society and should be affordable to all. Therefore any book touching on the sensitive matter should be honest and factual. I enjoyed your review, thanks.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Dragonet07, you say:
That is why we must read up on information from the professionals—not politicians or lobbyists but experts in the medical profession and its ethics, experts like John Geyman, M.D.
It's true that I don't want to necessarily get information from politicians or lobbyists, but those in the medical profession have their own stake in this matter. What if the politicians are striking against the medical field to stop corruption? Or perhaps the lobbyists are insisting on our behalf? Isn't going to the medical field the same as going to cigarette producers for truth about cigarettes and health? I find it impossible to find a source that is truly objective in presenting both (or many) points of view. That's not human nature, we're designed/have evolved to make judgments as we go about what we see, hear, and learn.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Thanks for your review.

As someone inside health-care, I can attest that there are many things we notice that others don't. My biggest pet peeve is that insurance companies do whatever they want and raise rates regularly, no matter who is in office.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 08:59 I agree that we all need to learn more about our healthcare system and how to fix it. BUT, I think a book such as this should be written from a non-bias angle. We need the facts so that we can make our own decision. I don't want to read someone that has already made my decision for me. For that reason, I will be skipping this one. Thanks, though.
That about sums up my feelings on this book.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I think the title really explains the author's position from the outset. It might turn a lot of people off - but I would rather read about the politicizing of healthcare from someone who understands it rather than a politician who doesn't understand the research.

Your review does a great job pointing out the potential biases while emphasizing the scientific nature of the book. I'm going to check this one out!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

A book that outlines the details of American healthcare sounds pretty important to me. I hear that the author's bias came through and that would be a deterrent for some readers. While I am pretty well-versed in the intricacies of healthcare, I would be interested in reading this book to fill in some blanks. Thanks for the balanced, thorough review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I am not American, and this piece may not be relevant to me. However, it is good that you've found the book worth reading. Thank you for your informative review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”