Official Review: PSALMS that can Change Your Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: PSALMS that can Change Your Life

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "PSALMS that can Change Your Life" by Stephen H. Farra, PhD, LP.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bible has often been referred to as 'the living word' that many look to for direction and comfort. In his book Psalms That Can Change Your Life, Stephen H. Farra, PhD, LP blends components of psychology with ancient scriptures to show his readers that good mental health can be achieved and sustained. The author's professional credentials include experience as a pastor, research psychology, and currently, he is the director of the Psychology Program at Columbia International University. His expertise in this field is evident in this informative and wisdom filled book.

He provides statistics and cites references for authenticity so that interested parties can explore more material on the subject he is presenting. His goal is to demonstrate that the Psalms, even though they were written long ago, are still relevant today in helping people overcome fears, anxiety and stress-related psychological symptoms.

One of the biggest lessons I learned from this was the difference between happiness and joy. According to the author, when a positive outside event occurs, we experience an upswing in mood, and our outlook on life improves. However, after a while, this fades, and we may find ourselves seeking that same euphoria. Some do this by pursuing money, popularity or ingesting chemicals. In essence, he explains that happiness is fleeting, and he encourages his audience to find joy which abides and is independent of the external conditions of life.

How do you do that? You meditate on the Word of God which produces a fortifying inward strength and renews the mind. He notes that psychologists have administered Cognitive Behavioral Therapy(CBT) to help clients recondition their thinking which creates better behavior. While many believe this is a newer treatment practice, he uses Psalms 42 and 43 as evidence to support the fact that self-talk, like what is used in CBT, has been in the Bible as a remedy long before it became a popular approach in clinical settings.

For example, in Psalm 42:5 it says, "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And, why are you so disquieted within me? Hope in God! For I shall praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God." (KJV) Here the author points out that the writer of this was speaking and encouraging himself to brighten his outlook on life and pull out of despair. By examining one's inner dialogue, better mental health can be gained, and one can put this into practice instantly without drugs or a practitioner standing by. While he does not condone people going without their prescribed medication, he offers this as another piece of the process.

I liked the beginning of the book and its short explanation and history on where the Psalms originated from and the time span of their writing. I enjoyed the psychological side of his comments and how the Bible can be a useful tool in the world of psychology. Many times, we hear that science and God shouldn't mix, but he gives solid reasoning and facts as to how the two working together can create a purposeful life for people. He emphasizes that many of us don't tell ourselves the truth about a situation. Maybe we think another person is to blame, and we don't see our role in the problem. By getting quiet and reading this section of verses, we have a chance to have an accurate depiction come forth and a clearing away of mental obstructions that hinder us.

I am giving this a 4 out of 4 stars for its easy to apply principles that include meditation and worship. I found a few minor errors in the text and had I not been looking for them, I may have missed them entirely.

For those who have been subjected to abuse through a church, this guide may be helpful in getting you on the right track spiritually. A broader group of readers who aren't offended by Biblical references will also find this appealing. People who do not believe in Christianity may not find this enjoyable.

In closing, two verses seem to be the way that the author is directing attention. In John 10:27 it says: "My sheep listen to my voice, I know them, and they follow me." And, in Psalm 23:2 it says: "He makes me to lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet streams. (KJV) This book offers a way to an intimate relationship with God that can bring respite to those who are suffering.

PSALMS that can Change Your Life
View: on Bookshelves

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am glad that you enjoyed reading this book and took home some important life lessons, but as I am not familiar with the Bible (being a non-Christian), I will not be able to relate with this book. Hence, I will pass this one. Thanks for the review.
ekwe1
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ekwe1 »

the book of psalm in the Bible is a great book this writer is correct
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I agree wholeheartedly with what the author says. The bible contributes tremendously to our mental well being. I have seen this in my own life and can say replacing your thoughts with scriptures is beneficial. Thanks cpru68 for your wonderful review.
Gee-Ruth
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-ruth.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by Gee-Ruth »

Thank you for your wonderful review. "THE LIVING WORD" has greatly influenced my life and in a positive way.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the book of Psalms. This sounds like this would be a great book for Christians to really delve deeper into joy and some other themes in the Psalms. I could use a book like that at the moment. I'll have to look into it further. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

I don't really like anything to religious, I am classified as spiritual and can't relate to bibles, only nature. This was a good review. unfortunatly i am not interested in the book it self.
jevvel
Currently Reading: Dyed Souls
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by jevvel »

cpru68 wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 16:35 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "PSALMS that can Change Your Life" by Stephen H. Farra, PhD, LP.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bible has often been referred to as 'the living word' that many look to for direction and comfort. In his book Psalms That Can Change Your Life, Stephen H. Farra, PhD, LP blends components of psychology with ancient scriptures to show his readers that good mental health can be achieved and sustained. The author's professional credentials include experience as a pastor, research psychology, and currently, he is the director of the Psychology Program at Columbia University. His expertise in this field is evident in this informative and wisdom filled book.

He provides statistics and cites references for authenticity so that interested parties can explore more material on the subject he is presenting. His goal is to demonstrate that the Psalms, even though they were written long ago, are still relevant today in helping people overcome fears, anxiety and stress-related psychological symptoms.

One of the biggest lessons I learned from this was the difference between happiness and joy. According to the author, when a positive outside event occurs, we experience an upswing in mood, and our outlook on life improves. However, after a while, this fades, and we may find ourselves seeking that same euphoria. Some do this by pursuing money, popularity or ingesting chemicals. In essence, he explains that happiness is fleeting, and he encourages his audience to find joy which abides and is independent of the external conditions of life.

How do you do that? You meditate on the Word of God which produces a fortifying inward strength and renews the mind. He notes that psychologists have administered Cognitive Behavioral Therapy(CBT) to help clients recondition their thinking which creates better behavior. While many believe this is a newer treatment practice, he uses Psalms 42 and 43 as evidence to support the fact that self-talk, like what is used in CBT, has been in the Bible as a remedy long before it became a popular approach in clinical settings.

For example, in Psalm 42:5 it says, "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And, why are you so disquieted within me? Hope in God! For I shall praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God." (KJV) Here the author points out that the writer of this was speaking and encouraging himself to brighten his outlook on life and pull out of despair. By examining one's inner dialogue, better mental health can be gained, and one can put this into practice instantly without drugs or a practitioner standing by. While he does not condone people going without their prescribed medication, he offers this as another piece of the process.

I liked the beginning of the book and its short explanation and history on where the Psalms originated from and the time span of their writing. I enjoyed the psychological side of his comments and how the Bible can be a useful tool in the world of psychology. Many times, we hear that science and God shouldn't mix, but he gives solid reasoning and facts as to how the two working together can create a purposeful life for people. He emphasizes that many of us don't tell ourselves the truth about a situation. Maybe we think another person is to blame, and we don't see our role in the problem. By getting quiet and reading this section of verses, we have a chance to have an accurate depiction come forth and a clearing away of mental obstructions that hinder us.

I am giving this a 4 out of 4 stars for its easy to apply principles that include meditation and worship. I found a few minor errors in the text and had I not been looking for them, I may have missed them entirely.

For those who have been subjected to abuse through a church, this guide may be helpful in getting you on the right track spiritually. A broader group of readers who aren't offended by Biblical references will also find this appealing. People who do not believe in Christianity may not find this enjoyable.

In closing, two verses seem to be the way that the author is directing attention. In John 10:27 it says: "My sheep listen to my voice, I know them, and they follow me." And, in Psalm 23:2 it says: "He makes me to lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet streams. (KJV) This book offers a way to an intimate relationship with God that can bring respite to those who are suffering.

PSALMS that can Change Your Life
View: on Bookshelves

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
https://za.gl/JfxN check this too..
I am very thankful for your review :)
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The Psalms is one of my favorite books of the Bible, and this book really appeals to me. I love the author's perspective. Thanks for the recommendation.
nice 2 rv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by nice 2 rv »

Thi is a must read' book for every human being irrespective of anyone's religion or belive: because even reading the psalms everyday and meditating on it breaks the evil york of this system of things in your life and makes you strong and active to overcome ill'lucks that may come your way every blessing day if you use it every other day. Thanks to the author for making it easier to find the benefits and usefulness of the psalms without compulsoryly going for the bible for those who aren't familiar with the bible. However they will be compelled to grab the bible for themselves after reading this book for a strong spiritual growth.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I have never noted the relation between psalms and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). This must be a well thought book. I love psalms and i do find them Therapeutic. This book seems to be offering something new. It is a must read for me.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

It is quite rare in my opinion to find books that tend to discuss how spirituality and science gel. I believe in the Bible being The Living Word and how it helps to solve a myriad of problems facing man today.I look forward to reading this book in future so as to fully grasp the message conveyed. Great review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I like this book already just reading your review! Its rare that religion and science mix so this is really interesting. Thanks for a wonderful review.
dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dublinkmy6.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by dublinkmy6 »

It's refreshing to realize that people appreciate the authenticity of psalms to this day.
dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dublinkmy6.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by dublinkmy6 »

evan1995muniz wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 08:40 I don't really like anything to religious, I am classified as spiritual and can't relate to bibles, only nature. This was a good review. unfortunatly i am not interested in the book it self.
Yes, I think religion is a personal thing. though I think nature itself is a testament to the authenticity of the bible as a whole.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”