Official Review: Go Forth, I Am My Brother’s Keeper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Go Forth, I Am My Brother’s Keeper

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Go Forth, I Am My Brother’s Keeper" by Norma J. Edwards Merriweather.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"For I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me." Matthew 25:35-36 New King James Version

Go Forth I Am My Brother's Keeper by Norma J. Edwards-Merriweather is a collection of twelve scripture-based lessons she wrote for a church class she facilitates which subsequently inspired the book. The chapters also include thought-provoking questions inviting personal reflection.

The book contains twelve chapters, one for each lesson. While it addresses many women's issues, the lessons could apply to men or women of various ages and stages in life. Some of the topics discussed include learning how to fulfill God's purpose in our lives by helping others, the importance of giving, and the key to forgiveness. There is a lesson that addresses being sensitive to others' feelings by following the Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (Luke 6:31) The informative chapter provides specific examples of how we can apply the principle at home with spouses and children, at work, and at church. Regarding perseverance in faith, the author compares a runner preparing for a marathon by training on inclines and hills to the Lord allowing us to go through trials to prepare us for the journey ahead. She challenges readers to prepare and train for the challenges of daily life through Bible study and prayer. Subsequent chapters discuss how to prevent feeling boxed in by remembering that God is in control, seeking His guidance about what's next, and avoiding complacency by finding purpose in each stage of our lives. Additionally, there are teachings on breaking free from patterns that prevent us from growing spiritually as well as the bondage of abusive relationships. Ultimately, the author reminds us of the importance of trusting God's power despite the troubling times we live in, that He is the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, and the Great I Am.

For readers who appreciate biblical teaching, there is a wealth of information in the 92 pages of this book. While I enjoyed it enough to read in one sitting, the chapters contain the type of lessons I will refer back to from time to time. The author's writing style is straightforward and easy to understand. Each chapter includes scriptures that support its teachings as well as practical examples that challenge the reader. At the same time, I don't think one has to agree with every point doctrinally in order to be inspired by the book. In addition to the scriptural lessons, I wasn't surprised to learn the author is a nurse as well, as I noted her knowledge of medicine reflected in her teachings. My interest was also piqued by references to her first book, Commissioned by God. I got the distinct impression I would enjoy sitting in on one of the classes taught by this minister's wife.

What I liked most about this book was the author's common sense approach to helping others and the practical application of biblical principles to daily life. She presented her teachings in a way that would appeal equally to both those who are new to the Christian faith as well as more experienced believers. For example, in reference to the verses I quoted at the beginning of the review, she acknowledged that while it might not always be safe to bring a stranger into your home, there are alternative ways of helping such as contributing financially or volunteering at a homeless shelter. I also appreciated her examples that illustrated that giving to others can be something as simple as cleaning or running errands, which might mean the world to someone who is in need.

The only weakness I noted was a tendency toward repetition. I understand it is natural for some of the content to overlap in this type of teaching book, but at times, emphasizing a point was overdone. In one instance, the exact same sentence appeared on two pages in a row. While the book and cover appear professionally edited, I noted a number of errors that were overlooked. As much as I enjoyed the book, for these reasons, I find it necessary to deduct a star. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to Christian readers who enjoy scripture-based studies. Since it was originally written as class lessons, it would also make an excellent book for a group study. Those who don't enjoy reading the Bible will prefer to pass on this one.

Go Forth, I Am My Brother’s Keeper
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This might be good for those who teach Sunday school. It seems like it's those type of lessons. I could see myself enjoying this, so I'll have to look it up. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree. Thanks for your comment.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A Christian book for believers of the bible. Preaching love and care for a fellow person. Thanks for yet another suncint review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 20:56 A Christian book for believers of the bible. Preaching love and care for a fellow person. Thanks for yet another suncint review.
I appreciate your comment.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Nice review as always, just not sure that I can bring myself to read another religious book so soon after the last one! The lessons do seem reminiscent of many others I have read before, but I'm sure for an ardent Christian reader these points will be appreciated. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

This seems like a good resource for a study group or Sunday school class. The practical application, straightforward and understandable presentation, and topic/chapter format allow for someone to open and begin.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sonya01 wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 03:51 Nice review as always, just not sure that I can bring myself to read another religious book so soon after the last one! The lessons do seem reminiscent of many others I have read before, but I'm sure for an ardent Christian reader these points will be appreciated. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Thank you, Sonya. I understand--I prefer to alternate genres, too.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

KarinaBordas wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 12:50 This seems like a good resource for a study group or Sunday school class. The practical application, straightforward and understandable presentation, and topic/chapter format allow for someone to open and begin.
Thanks for your comment.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I have recently taken more interest in my faith and think this would be a great read for me. I like that it has taken 12 lessons and based them around teachings from the Scriptures.

I'm really glad to have stumbled across your review.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is the kind of book i will read over and over again. I loved the book and this too is a must read for me.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I am a Sunday School teacher and I appreciate the work the author has put into creating these lessons. The repetitiveness might be a little annoying if you do the lessons back to back. I would be willing to give it a shot though. Thanks for your review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 20:46 I have recently taken more interest in my faith and think this would be a great read for me. I like that it has taken 12 lessons and based them around teachings from the Scriptures.

I'm really glad to have stumbled across your review.
Thanks, Georgia. Hope you enjoy the book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

fredrick otieno wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 06:15 This is the kind of book i will read over and over again. I loved the book and this too is a must read for me.
Thanks for your comment, Fredrick.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

melissy370 wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 06:38 I am a Sunday School teacher and I appreciate the work the author has put into creating these lessons. The repetitiveness might be a little annoying if you do the lessons back to back. I would be willing to give it a shot though. Thanks for your review.
I think it would be ideal for adult Sunday School lessons. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”