Official Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Official Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Making Of A Con" by Grace Larson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Making of a Con is a book written by Grace Larson. It is a biography of a man whose been in and out of prison. Edwin Grant "Pappy" Hamilton is a son and a grandson of known physicians. His life was not easy; he was raised in a toxic environment and for him, he thought it was normal. His father killed himself when he was still a baby, and his mother lied to him by telling him that his father had been murdered. He was one of the national guard, and he was first convicted when he and his friends pulled a prank to their Colonel. And after that he was then accused of stealing their Colonel's money. He served 3 years in Angola, and staying for that long made his life miserable. When he was released from Angola, he went home to his mom and met a girl named Dorothy. However, Grant started doing crimes and was convicted for the second time. Can Grant have another chance in life? Or will he be in jail for the rest of his life? And what about Dorothy, will their love last even if the other one is locked up?

Reading this book has been hard for me. The main character had been through a lot of catastrophic events in his life. He dealt with a lot of mental issues without him knowing it. The first time that he was convicted, aside from getting involved in a harmless prank, he didn't do anything wrong. He was 17 when he was sent to Angola, where prisoners are treated badly. It is heartbreaking how we judge ex-convicts even though we didn't know the story behind their conviction. The book made me realized a lot of things and taught me a few lessons about chances and judgements. It is a book that will wake you up and slap you with the reality.

The author did a great job in writing this one, I spotted some errors but it doesn't affect the story that much. The biography of Pappy is really interesting. I enjoyed reading it. It has depth in it and the issues that it tackled are seen in our society. The characters that had mental issues, didn't know that they got one. Like what I've mentioned earlier, Pappy was raised in a toxic environment, and with that he thought that his mom's actions and what he does is normal. It is alarming for the reason that a lot of people went through the same experience in their life. It is also awakening because, the book will be a representation for us on how we raised our child(ren) properly.

Honestly, from the beginning up until the end I was hooked with this biography. Edwin Hamilton is a man with beautiful soul, yet he was pushed and raised by toxic people. It is a heartfelt novel that will make you feel a lot of emotions, from sadness, frustration, disappointment, sympathy and a lot more. It is a well written book with unforgettable story and moral lessons that will carve in the heart of the readers. And because of that, I would gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is the first biography that I've read, and it is incomparable to any books that I've read before.

I recommend this book to every one who loves to read stories about crime, and to those people who are curious about how inmates are treated inside a prison cell. If you are into well written biography then this book is for you as well. After you read this book, you will realized that criminals aren't born, they are developed by our society. And the real monsters who created them are still free and blends in with the normal citizens.

The Making Of A Con
View: on Bookshelves

Like Noraine Alissa Poria's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

There are a few grammatical errors in your review but it was well-organized. I can empathize with Grant - it was not his fault that he was raised by toxic people and that he was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time. I would have picked up this book to find out if Grant's and Dorothy's love survives his incarceration but this book deals with a lot of dark issues which I am not ready to read right now. Thanks for the review.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I do agree that criminals are made and not born. This indeed is a great crime story. It indeed would help the reader see criminals from angle. I love crime stories and would go for it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's funny, many criminals say they are innocent. It definitely sounds like the author had a hard life, and I would be interested in learning what led him to do the things that he did. I wonder if it would be helpful to learn how to keep others away from the life that he lived. Thanks for the lovely review. I'll put this one on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a good crime story to learn from. Growing up with toxic people wasn't his fault and meeting Dorothy should have some kind of effect on him. Although this story has a lot of bad events, I'd like to know what becomes of him. Thanks for the detailed review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

fredrick otieno wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 04:55 I do agree that criminals are made and not born. This indeed is a great crime story. It indeed would help the reader see criminals from angle. I love crime stories and would go for it.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

It is heartbreaking how we judge ex-convicts even though we didn't know the story behind their conviction. The book made me realized a lot of things and taught me a few lessons about chances and judgements. It is a book that will wake you up and slap you with the reality.
This part of your review is really eye-opening and makes me want to read the book.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

Many are the times we judge others without taking a moment to about where they've come from. I feel this book will teach us many lessons on how to treat others even when they are on the wrong.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Well, I am in agreement with the assertion that our culture has some responsibility for creating the atmosphere for certain groups of people to turn to crime. I'm glad someone wrote this book. Thanks for the thorough review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

Interesting review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The main character had been through a lot of catastrophic events in his life. He dealt with a lot of mental issues without him knowing it. The first time that he was convicted, aside from getting involved in a harmless prank, he didn't do anything wrong. He was 17 when he was sent to Angola, where prisoners are treated badly. It is heartbreaking how we judge ex-convicts even though we didn't know the story behind their conviction. The book made me realized a lot of things and taught me a few lessons about chances and judgements. It is a book that will wake you up and slap you with the reality.
I am not much into biographical books
However, this paragraph really interested me in the book.

Thank you for the great review.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Grace Larson's The Making of a Con is a biography of Edwin Grant "Pappy" Hamilton. This book sheds light to the minds of the people about parenting, sound judgment, and perspective on the ex-convicts. Thanks for the review.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nice to note that the author was able to make the story to evoke varying emotions in the reader. I am also learning a lesson just from reading the review. This is especially on how we are so quick in judging people based on their actions and not knowing what was the motive behind it. Quite an enthralling review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I've read books about inmates before. But there's a fine line between reality and fiction. I think this biography will touch many hearts. So, thanks for your wonderful review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

People who goes to prison have interesting stories to tell, almost always. Definitely this will be an interesting book. Nice review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”