Official Review: Our 351 Sons by John Gillespie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Our 351 Sons by John Gillespie

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our 351 Sons" by John Gillespie.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our 351 Sons is written from both John Gillespie and his wife, Jan’s perspective of their life’s mission running the Rawhide Boys Ranch. It all started with providing a loving home for one troubled boy that sparked John and Jan’s interest to begin having a foster home for up to eight troubled teen-aged boys at a time. This grew into having the Rawhide Boys Ranch that could house up to 50 boys at a time, with many more house parents involved. The Rawhide Boys Ranch was (and still is today) a non-profit, faith-based program that captured so many aspects of helping boys who were in trouble with the law, who had problems at school, and who came from abusive or dysfunctional homes. It is one of the most successful youth rehabilitation programs in the United States.

I enjoyed reading about John and Jan’s love and firm, no-nonsense discipline they had for the boys who were in their care, while also caring for their own two sons. The famous Green Bay Packer’s quarterback, football player, Bart Starr and his wife Cherry, have been involved with supporting the ranch for over 50 years. Even the famous Coach Lombardi helped the ranch make contacts for donations. Many other famous people have donated time and money. The Rawhide Boys Ranch’s success was made possible by countless people who donated money, time, talent, skills, cars, building materials, and much more.

The Rawhide Boys Ranch had a lot of features to help develop life skills, work ethics, and self-confidence in the boys, while at the same time providing encouragement, discipline, and adventure for them. There was always a variety of work to do on the ranch. There were house chores, taking care of the horses and other animals, building homes and other structures, working on cars, welding, and giving tours of the ranch. The boys also experienced outdoor activities of horseback riding, camping, swimming, fishing, boating, and firefighting. The ranch helped in their education and job interviews as well.

I was impressed with the statistics that for the boys who stayed at least three months or more at the ranch, 85% of them never got into trouble with the law again. I liked John and Jan’s motto of “Praised in public; correct in private.” I also liked their life verse (Proverbs 3:5-6), “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct your paths.” Perhaps the most moving motto to me was Jan’s motto: “Those who deserve love least, need it the most.” Though there were so many things that I liked about the book, I best liked how miracles would happen in just the right time to provide either the money or just the thing that the ranch and the boys needed. My favorite “miracle” was when John and Jan only had five dollars to spend on each of the boys for Christmas, and then someone made a donation, and they all had the best Christmas ever. I won’t tell you all the details about this so you can read it for yourself. Another favorite part of the book was Jan’s way to deal with the boys not picking up after themselves. What a GREAT idea!

Though the book was mostly upbeat and not dwelling on the boys’ problems, there was a very sad thing that happened to Bart and Cherry Starr’s son, Bret. This was the part I least liked about the book if I had to think of something that I did not like.

The book is very well edited and written in an interesting way that held my attention all through the book. I rate Our 351 Sons 4 out of 4 stars. In a day where we hear about so many fake and false claims and frauds going on in the world, it was so refreshing and good to hear about the Rawhide Boys Ranch being an authentic, wonderful, well-rounded program to truly help troubled teens. The people who would enjoy this book the most are professional youth workers, parents with troubled teens, counselors, and people working in youth rehabilitation programs. If you like to read about heart-warming stories about people who have made a big impact on lives, you would also love to read this book. People who do not like memoirs and non-fictional stories may like this book the least.

Our 351 Sons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
Last edited by gali on 21 Oct 2018, 21:32, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited out links
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

These sound like wonderful people that have done so much good. I'm interested in their lives and the ranch that they run. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book seems to me as one to teach children discipline. It's also good book of rehabilitation for children that are troubled and are in need of counseling. Thanks for the thorough review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Saints really do exist in the world, just not always in the form that we expect. Two people like this that can make such a difference to just one boy - how much more so 50 or more - deserve our respect and awe. Thank you for taking us briefly through their story with your review; I think this is one I would like to read for my self. A lesson in humility and selflessness indeed.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

It's refreshing that Bill and Jan have made a positive impact in the community. The boys who pass through their hands are sure lucky to have them in their lives.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The story of John and Jan's efforts in making a difference in the lives of troubled teens sounds interesting. I will be pinning this to my TR list. Thanks for the review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow! I'm really impressed. Doing something like that for free is really a meritorious deed. Every moment when they make sense into those boy's lives, everything in the helper's lives makes sense to them. It's nice that the author took the liberty to share this story with us, as well as thank you for sharing it with us through your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

It always amazes me how programs like this can grow out of one act. In this case the couples decision to take in one child. It sounds like this book was very well written and could probably provide some valuable lessons to a lot of people...myself included. Thanks for the very well written review.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

What an encouraging book to read. I agree that we see far too much sadness and not enough of the successes. This family has an amazing story to share, and I am glad they did.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book gives so much hope to society! Thanks for your wonderful review. It motivates us to have hope even when things seem to be going downhill.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

what a noble thing to do. John and Jan truly plays a major role in the society. I want to learn their way so i might have a heart like theirs.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I thought this book looked interesting--glad to see it was well-written. It's always inspiring to read about those who have helped others so much. Excellent review!
stanjayjr
Favorite Book: Simple Simon
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by stanjayjr »

They sound like amazing people that have work so much good. I'm so interested in their lives and the ranch that they run with. Thanks.
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

i find it a very motivating book.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Amazing how a couple's sacrifice to offer a home to a troubled boy, let to giving a second chance to many others. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”