Official Review: The World in Chaos by Chiman Salih

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: The World in Chaos by Chiman Salih

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The World in Chaos" by Chiman Salih.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The World in Chaos by Chiman Salih is a non-fiction book in which the author analyzes the political situation of the Middle East, specifically the Kurdistan region of Iraq. She examines issues such as religious extremism, ethnic cleansing, and terrorism.

The author's experience as a human rights activist, journalist, and legal consultant enables her to provide an in-depth analysis of the on-goings in the region, revealing more than what I've seen on mainstream media. A Kurd herself, she points out atrocities that the Kurds have experienced at the hands of previous regimes and iterates why it's necessary to have an Independent Kurdistan. She also holds strong opinions that perpetrators of violence should face the full force of the law, a view that's popular among many.

This book's events were a breeze to process because the author provided enough backstory, putting everything into perspective. I learned a little history about the minority groups that reside in the Middle East, and this shed light on their struggles. I was heartbroken to learn that the Yazidis, an ethnic minority, have survived 14 genocide attacks. I, however, admire their resilience because they've always stood up to bullies and terrorists.

The author boldly calls out the international community, specifically the US for its role in fueling the expansion of ISIS and also questions why no Muslim country has offered to shelter any migrants. To these and many other thought-provoking topics, the author provides sufficient material to enrich her point of view. She also points out that extremists exploit poverty and unemployment when recruiting for their cause. It's evident that in most cases, one's poverty level is directly proportional to his/her fanaticism.

Overall, this was an enlightening read. It comes as no surprise that the book reads like a news report and I attribute this to the author being a journalist. Thanks to this book, I got a vivid picture of the political climate of the Middle East and applauded efforts made by various groups to restore sanity to the region. I would have, however, liked to read about the author's personal experience with extremism and how her life has changed since the attacks began. Snippets of these would've added a personal touch to the book.

As I noticed multiple errors, mostly misspelled words, I'll recommend that the text undergoes a round of editing. Unfortunately, the most hard-hit is the first chapter, which was such a pain to consume. I was relieved when I got to the second chapter because that's where the joy of reading began. I, therefore, award this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to Middle Easterners, advocates for world peace, members of women's organizations, and journalists.

The World in Chaos
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad this one needs more editing. The topic is one that is so important for today. It reminds me of the book I just finished reviewing. Females in the roles of Islamic jihadists. I'll check this one out.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

That stinks about the grammer errors. Sounds like a very educational book. Great review!
:tiphat:
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

In as much as something can be done to end all this, it seems this is taking too long. Even after a great writer piling it up in such a great book. This is not just a book to be read and dumped, at least something should be done. Thank you for the good review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

In the present time, when the Middle East is a ticking time bomb having the potential to wreak havoc on the entire world, a book on such a pertinent topic is welcome. A detailed perspective on Kurdistan is more welcome since this is a lesser known area in the world but thousands face persecution here. Your suggestions, if taken sincerely by the author, can make this book a 4-star material and hopefully, will reach a wider audience. Thanks for your incisive review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The history of the Yazidis seems interesting, what a strong ethnic group they are. I would also like to know how the extremists exploit poverty and unemployment. Glad you found the book enlightening. Great review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

That is so sad about the Yazidis. I agree with you that snippets about the author's experience with extremism would have enriched the book. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The Middle East is something I would like to learn more about. I like the way you have described the author's writing style. This seems like an interesting book, informative without coming off as a textbook. Thanks for an excellent review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”