Official Review: Surviving Mass Victim Attacks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: Surviving Mass Victim Attacks

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Surviving Mass Victim Attacks" by Gary M. Jackson, PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a psychologist with impressive experience as a threat and behavior analyst for nearly all U.S. intelligence and military agencies, Gary M. Jackson, PhD puts his decades of practical knowledge to the benefit of all. In his book, Surviving Mass Victim Attacks, Jackson takes the unique approach of addressing acts of terrorism with a focus on victims rather than the perpetrators. The book is broken into three parts, providing insight ranging from what to do if you are caught in an attack, to the physical and psychological after-affects of a mass attack.

Jackson's book looks at past attacks and touches on the various stages a perpetrator goes through to carry out their plan. Types of weapons used, victim targeting, and location are all important factors. Jackson details strategies for specific scenarios, including whether to try to escape, hide, stay in place, or attack the attacker. He also goes into detail on the importance of having a personal security plan and how it can be applied to different age groups during an attack. Using his own experience working on mass victim cases, Jackson reveals the necessity of being observant and advises what to do if you encounter suspicious activity or witness warning signs. Truly comprehensive, this book also discusses post-attack effects on individuals, including physical, emotional, and psychological ramifications.

Although the theme of this book covers sensitive and terrifying material that most of us would rather not focus on, it relays very practical information that has the potential to save lives if the unthinkable were to happen. The book was exceptionally organized, presenting information clearly and concisely, with repeated emphasis on key points. This book was immaculately edited, and Jackson writes with a professional yet compassionate tone. The data in the book is current, citing attacks as recently as the Parkland, Florida school shooting in February of 2018.

This book left nothing to be desired as far as expectations one would have when choosing to read it. In addition to being filled with valuable resources, including pertinent contact numbers, statistics, and informational websites, it is also packed with footnotes and a lengthy list of citations. Jackson even provides graphs, charts, and tables for those of us who learn better with the assistance of visual aids.

I would recommend this book to any adult. While it is not probable to find ourselves in a mass victim attack, it is increasingly possible in this day and age. And because the prevention of mass attacks is the ultimate goal, the information contained in this book can help everyone know what to look out for and how to act preemptively. It is without hesitation that I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its invaluable tips and insights, as well as the author's stellar presentation.

Surviving Mass Victim Attacks
View: on Bookshelves

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an absolutely intriguing read, especially in this day and age where all of us have been informed (in some form) about terrorism. Thanks for the review!
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

This sounds like a very interesting read that includes valuable information we hope to never use. Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one goes well with the book I just finished reading. It was a perspective on women as Islamic jihadists. This one seems full of information. Terrorism is such a prevalent problem right now. We all need to read these books. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is a good review. And the book is interesting, the fact that it covers what the victims go through after the attacks is commendable, it would not only help us be aware of how it feels like, but also prepare us for the future.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

Thank you for this very informative review. It sounds like the author really put their all into helping people with this book. I especially like that it isn't just a book about how to process tragedy after the fact, but also what to do if an attack is taking place.
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

This seems to be an insightful resource. A definite read for anyone desiring to be fully prepared in case of an attack.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like a truly resourceful book in today's world where mass attacks are sadly a reality. Great review!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This is definitely a tough topic to cover, but kudos to the author for being willing to write such a valuable book that people may not WANT to read, but could greatly benefit from. Excellent review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I find it sad that we live in a society where children in schools are being taught how to attack a gunman and where this type of book is a necessary resource. It sounds well-written and timely.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like that the book discusses post-attack effects on individuals, including physical, emotional, and psychological ramifications. This equips us in handling either ourselves or those close to us, in the unlikely event that we or they go through the harrowing experience. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

What a sad world we live in where a book like this is necessary to read. Sigh.
It does sound very interesting - I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I loved your review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I could barely get through the review so I think the book is not for me. Writing about how to best survive a terrorist attack is missing the forest for the trees. I'm more interested in the root of the problem - why we have so many attacks and what underpins the dangerous belief systems. To me this is like writing a book about how to survive the horrors of chemotherapy rather than addressing why we are using one poison to eradicate another. Sorry, I guess I don't get it. Thanks for the review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

i like the character of jason.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Enthralling review here. This is an important book. It is very informative. I know that there is something for everyone who will read it given that mass attacks are a common phenomenon nowadays. I would like to read it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”