Official Review: Invisible Martyrs by Farhana Qazi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Invisible Martyrs by Farhana Qazi

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Invisible Martyrs" by Farhana Qazi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Women are often referred to as "the fairer sex." They are generally considered more nurturing and less violent than the opposite gender. If I were to mention serial killers, the image of a man would most likely pop into your mind. So, why are the incidences of female suicide bombers increasing? Why are more women joining the Islamic Jihad than ever before? This is what Farhana Qazi explores in her book Invisible Martyrs.

For women, the lure of extremism is caused by three things - culture, context and capability. How are women treated in their culture? What is the role of a woman in her region? For context, what are the personal or political pressures that a woman faces? What is their home life like? Has a woman had the training necessary to be capable of such an act? Ms. Qazi uses real examples of women to back up her claims and conclusions.

If there are any doubts about the authority of the author to speak to such a subject, let me put those to rest immediately. The fact that the author is a Muslim herself makes her uniquely qualified to discuss these Islamic terrorists. Even more so, she has struggled with her faith. How are the words of the prophet and the Quran distorted to justify this violence? She also spent quite a few years of her life in the Counterterrorism Center tracking down these extremists and seeking to understand their motivations. If her views are not important in this war on terror, I'm not sure whose are.

After 9/11, everyone in America has suffered from "Islamophobia" to one extent or another. People like Farhana Qazi go a long way towards explaining (and proving) that most Muslims are in fact peace-loving and non-violent. Though this book delves mainly into the female psyche, these principles and ideas help to explain terrorists of all genders and races.

What I most appreciated was the actual stories of women who had either been successfully radicalized into the Islamic faith or the ones who just barely escaped. This brought the subject home and helped me to realize that these are not abstract paradigms being discussed. ISIS is, at this moment, patrolling the internet, seeking young adults to convert.

As nice as the true stories were, I would like to have had more of these in the book. While I enjoyed the discussion of the three c's I mentioned earlier as well as the dialogue on the Muslim faith, these sections of the book became a bit repetitious. The author stated multiple times that the motivations behind each woman who chose Jihad were different and that, consequently, there was no set formula as to who would become a terrorist.

Despite the slight repetitions, I believe this book has value to anyone seeking to understand Muslims, Islam and the jihadist extremists. For that reason, and because in all other aspects the book was extremely well edited, I rate Invisible Martyrs 4 out of 4 stars. I wouldn't necessarily call this book enjoyable, but it was extremely enlightening. I believe this is a book that everyone of us, especially here in America, should read. Perhaps the next time we walk into a store and see someone in a hijab, we won't wonder if they have a suicide belt strapped underneath their garb.

Invisible Martyrs
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

It's true that after the 9/11, everyone has suffered from islamophobia, the seems to be able to tackle some of the problems the world is facing concerning terrorism. I guess people do not need to die for the world to start the things discussed in this book.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Enlightening indeed. Non muslims too, have been recruited in some parts of the world to carry out the course of jihad. I do think this would be a good book for them toot, since it would she's the light on the belief of the holy war.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

wendos wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 00:47 It's true that after the 9/11, everyone has suffered from islamophobia, the seems to be able to tackle some of the problems the world is facing concerning terrorism. I guess people do not need to die for the world to start the things discussed in this book.
I hope that's not the case. Hopefully we call learn from people like Ms. Qazi. Thanks for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

fredrick otieno wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 02:35 Enlightening indeed. Non muslims too, have been recruited in some parts of the world to carry out the course of jihad. I do think this would be a good book for them toot, since it would she's the light on the belief of the holy war.
Yes. They are recruiting whoever can. It's sad.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Anytime the human psyche is discussed, I am interested. This one is especially intriguing to me because it deals with Muslim women. I have always heard what the male jihadist would receive, but what is in it for a woman to commit suicide? Definitely a book I would like to read. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

melissy370 wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 10:30 Anytime the human psyche is discussed, I am interested. This one is especially intriguing to me because it deals with Muslim women. I have always heard what the male jihadist would receive, but what is in it for a woman to commit suicide? Definitely a book I would like to read. Thanks for your review.
Yes, she discusses that issue as well. It's interesting and hopefully educational. Thanks for the comment.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Well this book sounds both important and disturbing. What an interesting topic to explore. I didn't realize so many more women were becoming involved in extremism. Thank you for the introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a book that is sorely needed nowadays. I'm glad that it was an enjoyable read, and I'm definitely interested in picking this up. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Eva Darrington wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 13:47 Well this book sounds both important and disturbing. What an interesting topic to explore. I didn't realize so many more women were becoming involved in extremism. Thank you for the introduction to this book.
Yes. And the problem is who's going to stop a woman in full gear? Not many. It's a book you must read. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 01:09 This sounds like a book that is sorely needed nowadays. I'm glad that it was an enjoyable read, and I'm definitely interested in picking this up. Thanks for the review!
It's just as interesting as it was informative. I recommend it. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This must have been quite the read. The fact that the writer has the authority to speak about this matter is a very huge plus. Definitely interested in this. (I checked out the first few pages in Amazon and really liked the author's writing style.) Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 20:00 This must have been quite the read. The fact that the writer has the authority to speak about this matter is a very huge plus. Definitely interested in this. (I checked out the first few pages in Amazon and really liked the author's writing style.) Great review!
Yes, the book is quite well-written. It was an education for me, and I don't look at people in quite the same way. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for the kind words.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I would like to read something from the Moslem perspective. There are too many stereotypes in our world.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

teacherjh wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 17:49 I would like to read something from the Moslem perspective. There are too many stereotypes in our world.
Very true. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”