Official Review: Understanding the Power of Resilience Ec...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Understanding the Power of Resilience Ec...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Understanding the Power of Resilience Economy" by Mohamed Buheji.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Unity and coexistence bring prosperity--segregation and alienation bring socio-economic disparity, life instability, and deep recessions." Mohamed Buheji

Understanding the Power of Resilience Economy: An Inter-Disciplinary Perspective to Change the World Attitude to Socio-Economic Crisis by Mohamed Buheji provides the reader with examples and stories of how RE can improve the socio-economy to better align people's wants according to their means.

The book includes ten chapters that provide a comprehensive guide on the benefits of resilience economy. The first two chapters define RE and how it can improve the socio-economy. Chapter three takes a look at the history and latest developments of RE. Chapters four and five address the different RE types and enablers. Chapters six and seven discuss managing change and the use of resilience engineering for building and improving better transformation. Chapter eight incorporates the preceding chapters as it addresses how and when RE is measured. The final two chapters include problem-solving discussions regarding complex resilience practices, sustainability, and creating reference models. The author stresses that the success of RE relies on multisectoral expertise, as well as the importance of introducing it at the right time by implementing it into policies and programs. The book also provides examples to inspire and ensure a sustainable resilient economy and how countries such as Germany, Switzerland, and Austria were among the first to become resilient.

The author's meticulous research of the power of resilience economy is the strength of the book. Concepts are broken down simply so that even readers like me, who have not been schooled in economics can understand the basics of RE and its benefits. For instance, the book reminds the reader that resilience is defined "in terms of the ability to recover quickly from the effect of an adverse incident" which helped clarify the concept. Interestingly, Google was featured in one of the chapter stories as the lead world company practicing the spirit of resilience.

However, it appears from the sentence structure that English isn't the author's first language. As is often the case, when an author must rely on translations, clear precise wording was intermixed with awkward wording used in the wrong context. I admire the author's ambition, as I can't imagine attempting to write in a different language. Nonetheless, the content lost in translation did require multiple readings for clarity, which detracted from the overall quality of the book.

There was also a pattern of poorly punctuated run-on sentences. For example: "Today having a book about resilience economy might be seen as a luxury business idea or a theory, however you just take a pause and think about it we are practicing for sure some resilience economy in different ways without may be realising it, however the more we are aware and intentionally use these practices the more we can influence our socio-economy to be more agile and resilient to any sudden or unplanned shocks." Enough said.

In consideration of the translation and editorial issues, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Overall, the well-researched book would greatly benefit from an additional edit. The book concludes with some thought-provoking questions and an extensive list of reference sources. I recommend it as a helpful resource for those interested in learning more about implementing resilience economy. On the other hand, readers who dislike reading about economics will probably prefer to skip this one.

Understanding the Power of Resilience Economy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I find topics on economics so interesting and would want to give it a try. I like the way you reviewed the book, you have clearly brought out the strengths and weaknesses of the book.
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

I am going to study political economy, next year. I guess i should give this book a reading
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

fredrick otieno wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 23:43 I find topics on economics so interesting and would want to give it a try. I like the way you reviewed the book, you have clearly brought out the strengths and weaknesses of the book.
Thank you, Fredrick. Hope you enjoy the book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

writer808 wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 00:59 I am going to study political economy, next year. I guess i should give this book a reading
Sounds like your kind of book. Thanks for commenting.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I would enjoy a book about resilience economy, though it is a shame about the language problems. You identified the problem very clearly and respectfully. It sounds like a good editor would have helped this book significantly. Thanks for another thoughtful review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a good book on resilience economy. Although the book seems to need a professional editing; the author has done a thorough job with his research. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eva Darrington wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 10:59 I would enjoy a book about resilience economy, though it is a shame about the language problems. You identified the problem very clearly and respectfully. It sounds like a good editor would have helped this book significantly. Thanks for another thoughtful review.
Thank you for your kind comments, Eva. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

T_stone wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 11:12 This is a good book on resilience economy. Although the book seems to need a professional editing; the author has done a thorough job with his research. Thanks for the review.
I appreciate your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have to say that I could kind of sense there would be errors in this book from the title. It seems to be me it would be better stated as Resilient Economy. I think this is a subject that's difficult enough to understand without the translation issues or run-on sentences. For that reason, I won't be reading this. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 10:08 I have to say that I could kind of sense there would be errors in this book from the title. It seems to be me it would be better stated as Resilient Economy. I think this is a subject that's difficult enough to understand without the translation issues or run-on sentences. For that reason, I won't be reading this. Thanks for the information, though.
I understand. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”