Official Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Official Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believ...

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In" by Harold Toliver.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mythical Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver is a book that takes on the topic of myths and why people believe them. It talks about how humans perpetuate myths to justify their actions. The book explores topics like the history of myths, group-think, and the influence of politics and religion in propagating myths.

I liked how the author clearly outlined the structure of his book in the table of contents. This made my reading experience easier, as I could read it in sections instead of all at once. The author presented some very valid justifications to support his argument. He gave instances in history where myth and propaganda were used to harm vast groups of people. The most prominent example used is that of Hitler. The author details how Hitler used myths to create group-think in a population and mobilize a war machine. The consequence was a war-torn Europe as well as the near extinction of the Jewish population in Europe.

The author focuses particularly on religion, which will probably receive mixed reactions from readers. According to the author, religion is directly connected to superstition and zeal. He goes on to state that it is consistently a cause of division. He named it as one of the main causes of turmoil in the 20th century as well as terrorism in the 21st. The author called religious beliefs “supreme fictions” that are unrecognized as such, which is a major cause of conflict. While his argument is convincing, I was uncomfortable with the over-generalization made about religion. I ended up feeling as if the book had devolved into a litany of complaints about it.

The cost of the human belief in myths was clearly highlighted and it was sobering to see. The author put the toll from conflicts in the 20th century at 160 million people. He asserted that these conflicts could be directly attributed to myths and propaganda. This was a decidedly stimulating read, which gave me a lot of food for thought. All things considered, this book is a heavy read and requires time to finish as well as digest the ideas presented.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it is a logical dissection of a contentious subject. The author’s detailed research, as well as superb argumentation, made this an engaging read. I deducted one star because I thought it focused excessively on religion. I would have liked it if he had gone into more detail about the influence of social media and big companies in disseminating myths and propaganda. I felt he overlooked something major seeing as this book was published in 2017. This book would likely appeal to those interested in philosophy and objective thinking in general. I would advise those who are firm believers in any religion to stay clear of this book. They are likely to be offended by the arguments in this book, as it disparages religion as a whole.

Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cher432's review? Post a comment saying so!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This a great book. I think it would help us understand our believes and religious principles. Even though the size may scare away some readers, i think its worth reading
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

I love to read about books, unfolding different myths.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Well, this sounds interesting and controversial. I'm not sure about the wholesale denunciation of religion, but propaganda is a horribly destructive weapon that is threatening democracies all over the world right now. Thanks for this review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

While religion can be a cause of division, I don't agree that it is completely based on superstition and zeal. It sounds like the author has some good ideas, but I don't think this is a book for me. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fairyland1010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Fairyland1010 »

This sounds like an interesting book to read. I am going to read this book after i get done reading my other one. I can’t wait to read. Thanks for the review!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I reviewed this one too and I get where the author is coming from about religion, but most of his argument is about division and very little of what I remember deals with unification and the comfort of rituals. I've found that it has practical use in looking at how messaging is based in socio-psychological influences, but he did tend to over-generalise a lot.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Fairyland1010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Fairyland1010 »

This book seems very interesting. I can’t wait to read it. It really got my attention. Thanks for the recommendation.
Tehreem_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tehreem-khan.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Tehreem_Khan »

I'm currently reading this book. I think what you said about this book dealing with religious myths for the most part is true.
Keith Pweedy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keith-pweedy.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Keith Pweedy »

I am reading this book and I feel that I learned a lot but he really did focus on religion
clumsy smurf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clumsy-smurf.html
Latest Review: A Walk in the Twilight by John J Bosco Jr.

Post by clumsy smurf »

I am also reading the book and I also feel that there is a lot we can take but I also think there is a lot that people can find disrespectful. Regarding religion, some people take their religion seriously and if a person says it's a superstition then they might get different reactions.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”