Official Review: God In My Head by Joshua Steven Grisetti

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: Official Review: God In My Head by Joshua Steven Grisetti

Post by cpru68 »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 18:55 It sounds like you are right about the audience. It's very New Age. That doesn't fit with my beliefs, so I'll pass. I do appreciate the review, though.
It was a book where I had to put my own beliefs aside and just read the story for what he was trying to say. That is what I based my rating on and tried to keep myself out of it. I totally understand that people are not going to want to read it as it sure does bring up a lot of issues. Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it. And, every time I see your avatar come up, I want to find something just as good as what you are eating! :)
Everything happens for a reason...
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

melissy370 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 16:50 I enjoyed your review. I liked your statement of what good is your beliefs if you can't challenge them. Sometimes that is where we become more rooted in our convictions. I don't think I would read this book. Although perhaps I need to be challenged as well, I will pass at this time.
Thank you for reading my review. Yes, I do put myself into situations whether by book or other media just to see what is out there and maybe not fully the same as what I believe. At times, such as with reading this book, it only strengthened what I already believe to be true. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

sonya01 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 16:37 You have tackled this rather tricky review in a thoughtful and sensitive way and I think you deserve to be commended for that. I am one of those people who remain skeptical about these 'way out' claims, but the fact that this author believes it happened to him is enough, and his experiences and opinions deserve consideration. Thank you for your comments.
Thank you so much for reading my review. It was a bit difficult to remove my own beliefs from what he was writing, but I had to give him credit for sharing his story and he is a good writer. I think it is possible to hold on to what we know and still give a listening ear to another person's opinion without changing our beliefs. Thanks again for stopping by.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 16:34
I don't fully know who would like this book because as I mentioned earlier he states that this could offend a wide range of people due to its hodgepodge of hot-button issues. By the end of the book, I thought that the New Age community would be most impressed by what he reports. My suggestion for all others is to read this with discerning eyes, take what is valuable and toss the rest aside. The humor was beyond anything I had ever read about this topic. He is a fun writer in the way he expresses himself, and it would be a shame to overlook that aspect of the material.
As I recall, there was something in the book's synopsis that hinted at bitterness. Since he is gifted at writing in a humorous manner, it's a shame this book's content was lacking. Thanks for persevering through what sounds like a challenging review!
I decided about halfway through that what he believed was not going to entirely line up to what I do. But, I had to examine his writing skills, the formatting, the overall tone of it, and I came away with being able to read it, put aside my own opinion and just basically listen. I think the bitterness you are referring to is that he didn't feel God cared about him, so when he comes face to face with Him, he realizes there is a God who does, in fact, love people. It's a roller coaster ride of a book though. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it so much.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

T_stone wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 07:00 In your review of this book, you made mention of some churches manipulate their members; this is a common thing in many churches these days. I will like to read this book to know more of the authors thoughts on the issue manipulation. Thanks for this review
That is one small piece of what he wrote. This book touches on a lot of hot-button topics, so you just have to go into it knowing that you may find some things you agree with, and some that you might not. It is a challenging one for sure. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

stacie k wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 17:55
cpru68 wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 21:01 I don't fully know who would like this book because as I mentioned earlier he states that this could offend a wide range of people due to its hodgepodge of hot-button issues. By the end of the book, I thought that the New Age community would be most impressed by what he reports. My suggestion for all others is to read this with discerning eyes, take what is valuable and toss the rest aside. The humor was beyond anything I had ever read about this topic. He is a fun writer in the way he expresses himself, and it would be a shame to overlook that aspect of the material.
You offer some good advice--to read with discerning eyes. I believe we should do so with everything we read! The humor involved is a plus for me, but I'm not sure I want to wade through the hot-button issues. Great job on the review!
I hear you on that! The humor kept me engaged while trying to hold on past parts I did not agree with. It's such a mixed bag of issues that I did walk away with some sense of understanding of what the author has been through in life, but also a strong feeling that what I do believe has come my way in the experiences I have had. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 15:06 self-investigation for the presence of God takes an importance in our life. we should emphasize to observe the purpose of our creation on the earth and after that, we all should justify those requirements.
For me, spirituality and knowing that part of myself is just as important as my physical health. This book challenges beliefs on every level, so when I read it, I decided to just listen and hear what the author had to say. I don't agree with all that he said, but it was worth the time I put into reading and doing the review. Thanks so much for reading my review. I appreciate it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”