Official Review: God In My Head by Joshua Steven Grisetti

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: God In My Head by Joshua Steven Grisetti

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God In My Head" by Joshua Steven Grisetti.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have read a number of near-death experience books over the years because they are fascinating. Usually, someone sees a light with a tunnel, and they end up in a beautiful oasis and visit with those who have gone on before them. Each recounting seems to have the same sort of semblance to one another; however, because we are all uniquely created, there may be some elements that exist in one and not in another. Overall, stories such as these give readers a feeling of hope as life can seem downright challenging to manage and to think that there is an afterlife beyond this with no worries or problems to handle sounds like a dream come true.

In his book God In My Head, Joshua Steven Grisetti has put together a unique perspective on his encounter with the Almighty. Raised in a Southern Baptist home, the author was accustomed to fire and brimstone messages that many times left him wondering why God hated him so much. To add fuel to this outlook, he had an affliction that started when he was a child and followed him throughout his adult years making him think he had committed a shameful sin to bring about his suffering. This left him isolated with these emotions because it wasn't acceptable to think or speak of any other reason as to why he was going through such physical and mental torment. By the age of sixteen, he had full-blown anxiety over this issue along with post-traumatic stress response. He coped by taking occasional prescription medicine and mixing it with alcohol to get through some of the painful procedures.

It was during one of these drugged up moments as an adult he recalls leaving the environment he was in and being met by the Creator of all. He claims that he was not dead, but he was in his subconscious. God shared the secrets of the universe with him as they chatted. At this point in his life, he had turned his back on all of his upbringings because it had been so rigid and as he matured, he began to question why he had been taught certain things that didn't hold up under his scrutiny. He was shocked to know at that moment that God was real, and He was more than willing to oblige his every question with an answer whether his mind could understand it or not.

The first part of the book is painful to read due to all that he endured throughout his years. However, his writing style is so humorous I found myself laughing out loud. This is the section I liked the most because it gives a good background on the author's childhood years and the family dynamics centering on religion. His father was more strict about the rules while his mom bent them slightly, so that is how he came to gulp down some pills accompanied by her white wine that was in the refrigerator.

There were some explanations where I agreed with the author as far as how God loves humanity, wants to see us succeed and cheers us on as we walk our path of faith. Also, I wholeheartedly concur that many churches harm people by manipulation of scriptures and extortion of funds. It sounds like I am speaking of the mafia, but sadly this is how some are operated. There were just as many places in the book where his views and mine parted ways entirely concerning the birth of Jesus and salvation. In some aspects, I felt like God was watered down and seemed weak, and that did not resonate with me.

In a few sections, the author gives warnings that those who are Christian are going to slam the book shut and forget it. In the same sentence, he mentions those who are atheist or agnostic are going to follow suit. I pressed on as I had committed myself to read and to give this a fair review. And, I asked myself this question: What good are my beliefs if I don't challenge them from time to time? This is the heart of this book. He tells readers they can stop reading. He states repeatedly that many are not going to believe what he has to say because one of the biggest things he doesn't have going for him is proof. He can only tell what happened to him and it would seem he has thrown all caution to the wind. The opinion of others seem not to bother him, and this experience has set him free from trying to please other people.

I don't fully know who would like this book because as I mentioned earlier he states that this could offend a wide range of people due to its hodgepodge of hot-button issues. By the end of the book, I thought that the New Age community would be most impressed by what he reports. My suggestion for all others is to read this with discerning eyes, take what is valuable and toss the rest aside. The humor was beyond anything I had ever read about this topic. He is a fun writer in the way he expresses himself, and it would be a shame to overlook that aspect of the material.

Because I found myself cringing at times where what he suggested seemed a bit too far out for me, I am giving this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I understand that another reader may have given this one star while another would award it a four. This book treads into waters where people hold tradition near and dear, so to up end dogma and religiosity for one individual could cause great anger while it may be music to the ears for another.

I found a few spacing errors in the material, but they were minor and did not take away from the quality of the writing, so it would seem that this has been professionally edited.

On a final summation of this novel, I will end with this: A new command I give you; Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

God In My Head
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I like the fact this book makes it okay to question beliefs and how blunt the author seems to be in his feelings on whether people will read or not. I like how you mentioned the book says about how some churches harm people by the manipulation and twisting of scriptures. I agree that there are those that are out there that do. I think I would enjoy reading this book to see what all the author has to say on his experience.
Mac :techie-reference:
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

self-investigation for the presence of God takes an importance in our life. we should emphasize to observe the purpose of our creation on the earth and after that, we all should justify those requirements.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

mac83 wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 13:36 I like the fact this book makes it okay to question beliefs and how blunt the author seems to be in his feelings on whether people will read or not. I like how you mentioned the book says about how some churches harm people by the manipulation and twisting of scriptures. I agree that there are those that are out there that do. I think I would enjoy reading this book to see what all the author has to say on his experience.
This one left me laughing at times, scratching my head and also nearly crying over the author’s pain. It's a mixed bag for sure! Thank you for reading my review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

cpru68 wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 21:01 I don't fully know who would like this book because as I mentioned earlier he states that this could offend a wide range of people due to its hodgepodge of hot-button issues. By the end of the book, I thought that the New Age community would be most impressed by what he reports. My suggestion for all others is to read this with discerning eyes, take what is valuable and toss the rest aside. The humor was beyond anything I had ever read about this topic. He is a fun writer in the way he expresses himself, and it would be a shame to overlook that aspect of the material.
You offer some good advice--to read with discerning eyes. I believe we should do so with everything we read! The humor involved is a plus for me, but I'm not sure I want to wade through the hot-button issues. Great job on the review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

In your review of this book, you made mention of some churches manipulate their members; this is a common thing in many churches these days. I will like to read this book to know more of the authors thoughts on the issue manipulation. Thanks for this review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

I read this book a while ago. Loved it
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I don't fully know who would like this book because as I mentioned earlier he states that this could offend a wide range of people due to its hodgepodge of hot-button issues. By the end of the book, I thought that the New Age community would be most impressed by what he reports. My suggestion for all others is to read this with discerning eyes, take what is valuable and toss the rest aside. The humor was beyond anything I had ever read about this topic. He is a fun writer in the way he expresses himself, and it would be a shame to overlook that aspect of the material.
As I recall, there was something in the book's synopsis that hinted at bitterness. Since he is gifted at writing in a humorous manner, it's a shame this book's content was lacking. Thanks for persevering through what sounds like a challenging review!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

You have tackled this rather tricky review in a thoughtful and sensitive way and I think you deserve to be commended for that. I am one of those people who remain skeptical about these 'way out' claims, but the fact that this author believes it happened to him is enough, and his experiences and opinions deserve consideration. Thank you for your comments.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I enjoyed your review. I liked your statement of what good is your beliefs if you can't challenge them. Sometimes that is where we become more rooted in our convictions. I don't think I would read this book. Although perhaps I need to be challenged as well, I will pass at this time.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like you are right about the audience. It's very New Age. That doesn't fit with my beliefs, so I'll pass. I do appreciate the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I wish the author had not spent so much time telling people they weren't going to like his book. He might be surprised how many people would be openminded about his experiences. Thanks for the informative review and your thoughtful analysis.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for a fair review on this book. I admire your comment about continuing to read to challenge your personal views. Your supporting reasons for the rating are well explained. Great job!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

kdstrack wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 11:07 Thanks for a fair review on this book. I admire your comment about continuing to read to challenge your personal views. Your supporting reasons for the rating are well explained. Great job!
Thank you. Despite the author and my own beliefs not lining up totally, I felt that he did do a good job with putting in the time it took to write out his experience, and I believe he should have some credit for that. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 21:41 I wish the author had not spent so much time telling people they weren't going to like his book. He might be surprised how many people would be openminded about his experiences. Thanks for the informative review and your thoughtful analysis.
I think he has gotten such a mixed reaction from people when he would share his story, that is why he seems a little fearful or tentative in writing it out. Even if he and I don't see eye to eye on some of it, I still can read a book and give it a fair review. Thanks for your message, and I appreciate that you read my review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”