Official Review: Finding The Silver Lining

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Finding The Silver Lining

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding The Silver Lining" by Judy Love Rondeau.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding the Silver Lining: Baby Boomer Life Lessons by Judy Love Rondeau is a compilation of advice, demographics, and resources from various experts as well as the author's personal experiences addressing the unique lifestyle challenges affecting the "sandwich generation," those born between 1946-1964.

The book offers practical life lessons and resources for dealing with many of the issues facing today's baby boomers including caregiving for aging parents, coping with death and grief, boomerang adult kids, raising grandchildren, leaving the workforce, and preparing for and navigating retirement. Rondeau also addresses ageism in the workforce regarding hiring people over 50, marketing to baby boomers, and their surprising statistics regarding social media use. In addition to the compilation of various expert sources, she shares her personal experiences and resources for finding the silver lining--being prepared and maintaining a positive attitude.

The strength of this book was when the author shared her personal experiences. Rondeau was candid about the challenges she faced and the lessons she learned in the process as a caregiver for her aging parents and as a baby boomer dealing with ageism in the workforce. On the topic of ageism, I found the fact that she didn't receive a single response to sending over 300 resumes staggering. Fortunately, she has since found work and shared some of her creative approaches. Rondeau also provided practical information from her caregiving experiences with her parents on topics including term life insurance, reverse home mortgages, assisted living, hospice care, and important issues to consider when planning for a parent's death. Many of the items she included in her comprehensive list of documents wouldn't have occurred to me.

On the other hand, I was disappointed that the portion of the book Rondeau wrote about her own experiences was brief in contrast to the expert advice. While the book included a disclaimer regarding the articles she referenced, I anticipated more of a balance between the two. I was unprepared for the volume of content that seemed to transition from one lengthy excerpt of others' work to another. Due to the various ways sources were cited, at times it was difficult to determine where one source ended and another began or if the author was speaking. Furthermore, I noted inconsistencies that were a result of stringing together articles. For instance, when citing two references back-to-back, the first described baby boomers as ranging from their mid-50s to mid-60s. However, the math didn't compute when the following source listed the younger end of the spectrum as 63. Despite the numerous sources, this type of inconsistency is confusing to readers. I can't discredit the wealth of knowledge as a resource guide, but I believe more contribution from Rondeau would have strengthened the book as a whole.

The book has a professionally edited appearance as the only error I noted was a single missing quotation mark. However, due to the issues previously mentioned, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. The book has great potential, but I can't help but feel the author did herself a disservice by burying her voice under the masses of other sources instead of trusting her experiences as a baby boomer. I recommend the book to baby boomers and readers who are caregivers for their parents.

Finding The Silver Lining
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I was intrigued about the book's take on issues of aging. Even though, I am in my thirties I can relate to issues such as caregiving for parents. I also I'm quite interested in the subject of ageism. However, it seems like the book would have been better if it focused more on the personal experiences. Perhaps, the author felt from her experiences of discrimination that she need more " expert" articles to convince her readers. Thank for you a detailed and great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sicily Joy wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 00:40 I was intrigued about the book's take on issues of aging. Even though, I am in my thirties I can relate to issues such as caregiving for parents. I also I'm quite interested in the subject of ageism. However, it seems like the book would have been better if it focused more on the personal experiences. Perhaps, the author felt from her experiences of discrimination that she need more " expert" articles to convince her readers. Thank for you a detailed and great review.
The resource information would definitely benefit anyone who may be facing caregiving for their parents. Thanks for your comment, Sicily.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Thanks for your review! I guess I'm at the tail end of the baby boomers generation since I was born in 1964, so maybe I'll check this one out. I've dealt with some of the issues that you noted were in the book. Too bad there are a lot of references, but maybe I'll be able to relate with some of them, and I'm interested in the author's experiences.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Most people don't buy books to read excerpts from others' works. They want original content. I would be of the same opinion. It sounds like the author has some great stories, but they were too few. Thanks for the review, but I will be skipping this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

BookReader+6 wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 07:37 Thanks for your review! I guess I'm at the tail end of the baby boomers generation since I was born in 1964, so maybe I'll check this one out. I've dealt with some of the issues that you noted were in the book. Too bad there are a lot of references, but maybe I'll be able to relate with some of them, and I'm interested in the author's experiences.
You're welcome. According to the dates, I'm at the end of the range too. Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 08:49 Most people don't buy books to read excerpts from others' works. They want original content. I would be of the same opinion. It sounds like the author has some great stories, but they were too few. Thanks for the review, but I will be skipping this one.
I feel the same way. I valued her personal experiences because she lived through them and had something to share. The rest of the content could be found by searching online. Thanks for your comment.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

The book title caught my eye and then I realized it was a double meaning type of book. I'm not in the baby boomer era, but I think I might enjoy reading this story anyhow. I think I would have liked if there were more stories about her experiences instead of more on the expert level though.
Mac :techie-reference:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

mac83 wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 08:31 The book title caught my eye and then I realized it was a double meaning type of book. I'm not in the baby boomer era, but I think I might enjoy reading this story anyhow. I think I would have liked if there were more stories about her experiences instead of more on the expert level though.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I am interested in this book. A guide specifically for baby boomers - what a great idea. I love the title, too. As a part of the "sandwich generation," I am certainly aware of the particular challenges of aging as a baby boomer. I wish I'd seen this one in the selection list. Thanks for the great review, Cecilia.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eva Darrington wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 14:21 I am interested in this book. A guide specifically for baby boomers - what a great idea. I love the title, too. As a part of the "sandwich generation," I am certainly aware of the particular challenges of aging as a baby boomer. I wish I'd seen this one in the selection list. Thanks for the great review, Cecilia.
Hope you enjoy the book, Eva. Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”