Official Review: Read this book...And SAVE A LIFE

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Read this book...And SAVE A LIFE

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Read this book...And SAVE A LIFE" by Dr. Mark McMorris Jr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you an animal lover who would like to know more about becoming a rescue hero? Have you ever wondered about alternatives when it comes to surrendering a pet to a shelter? Dr. Mark McMorris Jr wrote Read This Book...and Save a Life! as a comprehensive guide for readers who want to make a significant difference by saving the lives of furry friends. He provides step-by-step guidelines for readers who are surrendering a beloved pet to a shelter, seeking to adopt a rescue animal or desiring to become a rescue advocate in their community. He also addresses common misconceptions regarding animal welfare in many so-called humane shelters and the importance of identifying no-kill shelters.

The book is divided into three parts. Part 1 is dedicated to educating, informing, and understanding, regarding alternatives to placing pets in shelters and revealing their inhumane practices. Dr. McMorris emphasizes the preferable options of finding a home for a beloved pet with a trusted acquaintance or placement with a rescue organization rather than surrendering to a shelter. He makes the important distinction between shelters that euthanize animals and no-kill shelters and educates the reader about the stark realities that occur once an animal is placed in a shelter. Dr. McMorris stresses the importance of research regarding shelter policies. He also addresses some little-known facts including that the Humane Society does euthanize animals and that certain breeds such as Pit Bulls, are given less time to live in shelters based on breed reputation. Part 2 is designated for guiding the reader through the rescue process from including family members in the decision to preparing your home for your new pet in advance. Dr. McMorris advocates saving lives by adopting pets from kill-shelters. He offers helpful advice on topics such as tips when visiting shelters, selecting your new family member, and simple training techniques for your furry friend before he enters your home and after. Part 3 provides readers with the opportunity to make a difference in their local communities by joining Mark's Animal Rescue Network. There is no cost to members who can serve as mini-rescue organizations from the comfort of their homes. Dr. McMorris also shares the most effective ways to advocate through social media by focusing on one animal at a time and working with local county shelters.

With 79 pages, the book is a quick read that is concise and surprisingly comprehensive. In each section, Dr. McMorris literally covers any question a reader might have. I learned so much from this book regarding shelter practices and the lesser-known differences between the kill and no-kill shelters. His distinction is clear that the goal should be to surrender pets to no-kill shelters but rescue them from kill-shelters. Additionally, Dr. McMorris shares helpful tips on topics such as establishing the Alpha, leash and crate training, feeding, and bedtime routines. For readers who are interested in more information about his rescue organization, I found his website to be resourceful and very professional.

The strength of this book was the author's passionate writing style which was conveyed throughout the book. I was particularly moved by his plea to consider a pet's feelings before removing it from its home. "To my mind, it's very much like being led from your cozy bed, in your comfortable home, in the middle of the night, and being taken to a prison. Once there you will be locked in a cell, and given absolutely no explanation as to why this is occurring. Why you have been removed from your loved ones, why you will not see them again, what crime you could have possibly committed in order for this fate to befall you." I also appreciated his insights on why social media isn't always an effective tool for animal rescue. He concluded that many well-meaning animal lovers are ineffective by posting comments and sharing posts about established animals rather than focusing on one local animal at a time.

There were some editorial issues with the book. Most distracting was the author's tendency to write incomplete thoughts as sentences. The recurring pattern resulted in a lack of clarity even after rereading. Additionally, there were some punctuation errors. This example illustrates both of the issues. "Of the unfortunate realities which face our companion animals our abused and neglected animals, our surrendered and stray animals." As much as I wanted to give this informative book the highest rating, these types of errors hindered its professionalism. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Correcting the errors will easily bring the book to the full four stars.

I recommend this book to animal lovers and readers who are interested in animal rescue. Additionally, I concur with Dr. McMorris's suggestion of introducing teens and children to the benefits of animal rescue in teaching them kindness and compassion.

Read this book...And SAVE A LIFE
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Great review! A concise and a comprehensible guide to rescuing our beloved furry friends is worth reading.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Being both an animal lover and adoptive pet parent, I think this book has some very important information. From how to adopt, to caring for your dog, to participating in a rescue program, it seems to have a lot of useful resources. Thank you for your review, I'll be checking this one out.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 00:55 Great review! A concise and a comprehensible guide to rescuing our beloved furry friends is worth reading.
Thank you. It's definitely a handy resource.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

BookReader+6 wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 08:00 Being both an animal lover and adoptive pet parent, I think this book has some very important information. From how to adopt, to caring for your dog, to participating in a rescue program, it seems to have a lot of useful resources. Thank you for your review, I'll be checking this one out.
The author really did seem to cover everything. Thanks for your comment.
Ibnebukash
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ibnebukash »

This book has informative for both both an animal lover and adoptive pet parent. From how to adopt, to caring for your dog, to participating in a rescue program, it seems to have a lot of useful resources. Thank you for your review, I'll be checking this one out.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

For such a short book, this is a really informative review. Whilst I am not a crazy animal lover, this book would make a great gift for many friends and family that love pets, own them and rescue them.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
AngD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angd.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AngD »

This is a book I will definitely add to my want to read list. I have a very soft heart when it comes to our furry friends and will probably want to go rescue all the little animals after this but if we do not stand up for them who will.
What a wonderful book review it really makes me want to read this book and learn more. I am sorry that the author did not take time for better editing considering how important this book is.
Great job.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

"His distinction is clear that the goal should be to surrender pets to no-kill shelters but rescue them from kill-shelters." What an important statement to make. Just the fact that this is in your review should help spread the word. I absolutely love the ideas presented in this book. I am such a huge advocate for adopting from a shelter rather than buying from a breeder. There are so many fur babies in need of a good home. This is a great book with a great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ibnebukash wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:03 This book has informative for both both an animal lover and adoptive pet parent. From how to adopt, to caring for your dog, to participating in a rescue program, it seems to have a lot of useful resources. Thank you for your review, I'll be checking this one out.
Thanks for your comment. Hope you enjoy the book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 18:12 For such a short book, this is a really informative review. Whilst I am not a crazy animal lover, this book would make a great gift for many friends and family that love pets, own them and rescue them.
I can't have pets due to allergies, but I immediately thought of my friends and families who would appreciate the book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AngD wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 19:38 This is a book I will definitely add to my want to read list. I have a very soft heart when it comes to our furry friends and will probably want to go rescue all the little animals after this but if we do not stand up for them who will.
What a wonderful book review it really makes me want to read this book and learn more. I am sorry that the author did not take time for better editing considering how important this book is.
Great job.
I think you will enjoy the book. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 21:49 "His distinction is clear that the goal should be to surrender pets to no-kill shelters but rescue them from kill-shelters." What an important statement to make. Just the fact that this is in your review should help spread the word. I absolutely love the ideas presented in this book. I am such a huge advocate for adopting from a shelter rather than buying from a breeder. There are so many fur babies in need of a good home. This is a great book with a great review!
I agree. Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

You did an excellent review and it makes me want to pick up this book and read it. I love that the book includes information on no-kill shelters. Too many times people don't understand that humane societies don't keep animals forever.
Mac :techie-reference:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

mac83 wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 10:48 You did an excellent review and it makes me want to pick up this book and read it. I love that the book includes information on no-kill shelters. Too many times people don't understand that humane societies don't keep animals forever.
Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”