Official Review: Our Teenage Years: Growing up in a small...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Our Teenage Years: Growing up in a small...

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Teenage Years: Growing up in a small town in the 80's" by T.J.Wray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

They had agreed that he would take T.J., and she would keep Kathy. However, on the day that he decided to leave, T.J.’s dad put him in the car, drove around the block, ran behind the house, grabbed T.J.’s sister, ran out the back door, and drove away with both of his children. Author T.J. Wray tells his interesting life story in his memoir titled Our Teenage Years Growing Up in a Small Town in the 80’s.

T.J., his sister, and their dad lived on the run for more than ten years. The two children were often left alone and received very little affection from their father. Still, their dad would never let their mother and her new husband, Sam the idiot, raise his kids. T.J. returned to Gutherie to visit, and actually meet his mother. He had no memory of her. He ended up living with his mother and her husband for the next four and a half years. Those years were filled with memories made with T’J.’s best friend, Terry. The boys became friends when Terry stood by T.J.’s side during a seriously tense moment after school. Somewhere between the fights, girls, and motorbikes, T.J. and Terry formed a friendship that would last a lifetime.

This is an entertaining and interesting memoir. It is refreshing to see a man come from a rough beginning to grow up to be an optimist with a love of life and family. He lets the reader know that hurtful things did occur, but he focuses on the positive lessons he has learned. I truly enjoyed reading the development of the friendship of T.J. and Terry. This is a story about growth. It is quite engaging and a fun read. I was invested from start to finish. The book includes real family photos that put faces to the names of T.J. and his family.

This book is skillfully written, edited, and organized. There was not one grammar or editing error to be found. The story flows seamlessly from one scene to the next creating a pleasant reading experience. I recommend this book to non-fiction readers who enjoy intense memoirs.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a well-written and well-organized book. T.J. Wray tells a familiar yet interesting coming-of-age story. Readers will relate to many of T.J.’s experiences and the lessons that he has learned. This memoir highlights the importance of family, friendship, and optimism.

Our Teenage Years: Growing up in a small town in the 80's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Memoirs are not my typical go to genre, but this book is definitely an interesting read. I have so many questions, but I would have to read the book first. Thank you for your honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Wow, that whole scenario of being taken away from your mom as a child and living on the run with an unloving dad is...unimaginable. It is definitely a tale worth telling. However, I think the title and cover design could have been more appealing!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite interesting as I grew up in the 80s as well. I might see quite a few similarities. Still, I'm not sure of the life on the run aspect of the book. It sounds like you really enjoyed it, so I'll have to look into it further. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

The friendship between T.J and terry sounds like the kind to be emulated. I'm happy the writer decided to put family photos in his memoir. It gives the book a sense of personal attachment

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”