Official Review: My Career as a Book Reviewer Defending t...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: My Career as a Book Reviewer Defending t...

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Career as a Book Reviewer Defending the Faith" by Maurice A. Williams.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Career As A Book Reviewer Defending The Faith by Maurice A. Williams is a collection of the author’s book reviews. The irony has not escaped me that I am a book reviewer reviewing someone else’s book reviews. I hesitated with taking on this challenge because of that fact alone. Ultimately, my curiosity won out, and I wanted to see what Williams offered.

The compilation has reviews on books either associated with Christian beliefs or ones against it that Williams tries to refute. The reviews run the spectrum from evolution to Joan of Arc. Many other fictional stories are discussed as well, including one book from the popular Left Behind series. I found the author’s opinions insightful, especially when he talks about the Christian faith. You could tell he was passionate in his convictions.

One of the most exciting things about being a book reviewer is motivating others to read a book. Williams achieves this in his review on Man In White. I knew little about Johnny Cash besides a few of his songs and his moniker the “Man in Black”. I did not know he had written a book on Saint Paul and his life. Williams’ review convinced me that this was a must read on gaining a deeper understanding of the apostle. On a few lengthy reviews though, I kept wondering when they would end. The review of the book How To Win A Cosmic War was over 2000 words. He gave too much detail on the story and was not as concise with his opinions. I kept flip-flopping back and forth between being intrigued to yawning.

I always considered the job of a preface as arousing the reader’s interest enough for them to read further. I came away from this book’s preface, though, with more of an impression of melancholy than excitement. Williams describes his reason for compiling his reviews as this: “Altogether, I wrote about 100 book reviews that I thought were pretty good, but I fear I will probably wind up with nothing to show for all my efforts as a writer. So, before everything falls apart, I thought I would publish my best book reviews through Amazon.” This did not give me much enthusiasm for what was to come. Although I appreciate the author’s candidness, a more positive spin would have been better to draw in the reader.

The most negative aspect of the collection was Williams’ reason for doing book reviews. He wrote on the book of Revelations and his book reviews were meant to draw attention to it. This shows throughout the collection. Out of the 55 reviews, Williams mentions his book eight times. This wouldn’t be a big deal if I was reading the reviews separately. Since I was reading them back to back though, I noticed it more. I thought it was disrespectful to the writer of the book being reviewed when Williams puts in a plug for his own.

Unfortunately, there were multiple grammatical errors as well throughout the compilation. Most were a missing word or a misspelling. Because of all this, I have to give My Career As A Book Reviewer Defending The Faith 2 out of 4 stars. Anyone interested in the Christian faith or looking for a good book to read will be keen on looking at this compilation.

My Career as a Book Reviewer Defending the Faith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The idea of reviewing a person's book reviews sound weird to me. I do have the interest to read this book but not sure about the review part.
Whoa, he wrote 2,000 words for a review of 'How To Win A Cosmic War'! That's freaking long.
By the way, just out of curiosity, after reading and reviewed this book, have you ever thought of compiling your book reviews in a book and publish it like how this author did?
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
melissy370
Currently Reading:

Post by melissy370 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 03:17 The idea of reviewing a person's book reviews sound weird to me. I do have the interest to read this book but not sure about the review part.
Whoa, he wrote 2,000 words for a review of 'How To Win A Cosmic War'! That's freaking long.
By the way, just out of curiosity, after reading and reviewed this book, have you ever thought of compiling your book reviews in a book and publish it like how this author did?
Hmm...good question. I think on a blog or website would be more suited for me. Thanks for your comment.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

You have done a good job reviewing a book of reviews, seriously this is a well thought out review. Coming across the book title anywhere, I would definitely want to read it (defending the Christian faith is a goal for me; please don't ask how well I have done - anyways I intend to keep trying), so not too excited about the 2 out of 4 stars; I guess you had to do your job. I would be put off by a reviewer mentioning his own work while reviewing the work of other authors (not cool I think). Well we can't fault him too much for trying for relevance, it just seemed a bit underhanded.
I hope to still read the book though.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The most negative aspect of the collection was Williams’ reason for doing book reviews. He wrote on the book of Revelations and his book reviews were meant to draw attention to it. This shows throughout the collection. Out of the 55 reviews, Williams mentions his book eight times. This wouldn’t be a big deal if I was reading the reviews separately. Since I was reading them back to back though, I noticed it more. I thought it was disrespectful to the writer of the book being reviewed when Williams puts in a plug for his own.

Unfortunately, there were multiple grammatical errors as well throughout the compilation. Most were a missing word or a misspelling.
I was very intrigued by the book until I came to this part of your review. I agree that his personal plugs were disrespectful to the authors he reviewed. Considering his profession, the grammatical errors are disappointing as well. Excellent review!
melissy370
Currently Reading:

Post by melissy370 »

ea_anthony wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 16:00 You have done a good job reviewing a book of reviews, seriously this is a well thought out review. Coming across the book title anywhere, I would definitely want to read it (defending the Christian faith is a goal for me; please don't ask how well I have done - anyways I intend to keep trying), so not too excited about the 2 out of 4 stars; I guess you had to do your job. I would be put off by a reviewer mentioning his own work while reviewing the work of other authors (not cool I think). Well we can't fault him too much for trying for relevance, it just seemed a bit underhanded.
Don't be offset by the 2 in regards to the author's ability in defending his faith. He did an exceptional job in that, especially with the reviews on books about evolution. With the amount of errors he had, plus his shameless plugs for his book, made me lowered the rate. Thank you for your comments.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Gosh I was really intrigued by this book (and the obvious irony) until you mentioned some of the things you didn't love. I so appreciate candid reviews. I would really enjoy a book of book reviews, but the errors and the mentions of the author's book would have put me off. I agree that he sounds terribly depressed in the preface. I really appreciate the great introduction to this book. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It is hard to review a book you didn't especially enjoy, so I appreciate that you persisted and were able to give a balanced account. I'm not sure I would read a whole book of book reviews, even though the author was defending a subject dear to my heart! I also get frustrated with spelling and grammar mistakes which should never have made it through the editing process. Well done.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I agree with Cecila_L that the author being a book reviewer himself, it is disappointing to see grammatical errors in the book. Further, nothing can pique my interest in reading a book on book reviews. Thanks for the honest review!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Reviewing a book of book reviews sounds very unusual. From this review, seeing so much errors in a book of book reviews by a reviewer is quite disappointing. Good review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I hope it wasn't too boring from what you've said. All the same, your review is well articulated. Nice one there.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review! The book sounds very interesting - I think I could learn a few things from reading his reviews :P However, I agree that it's annoying that he keeps mentioning his book. Also, when doing reviews, I feel that there should have been almost no editing errors so I'm confused as to why there were so many errors in this book.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

melissy370 wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 18:08
ea_anthony wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 16:00 You have done a good job reviewing a book of reviews, seriously this is a well thought out review. Coming across the book title anywhere, I would definitely want to read it (defending the Christian faith is a goal for me; please don't ask how well I have done - anyways I intend to keep trying), so not too excited about the 2 out of 4 stars; I guess you had to do your job. I would be put off by a reviewer mentioning his own work while reviewing the work of other authors (not cool I think). Well we can't fault him too much for trying for relevance, it just seemed a bit underhanded.
Don't be offset by the 2 in regards to the author's ability in defending his faith. He did an exceptional job in that, especially with the reviews on books about evolution. With the amount of errors he had, plus his shameless plugs for his book, made me lowered the rate. Thank you for your comments.
Great, this should make me better anticipate the read. Cheers.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I like the idea of a reviewer reviewing a reviewer's book about reviews! That's almost a tongue twister. I won't be reading this book though since I'm not really interested in the subjects it covers.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Never thought i would ever come across a book of this nature. Im a Christian so this should be a book a i would consider indulging in. Hope to get through to the last page even with the grammar errors

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”