Official Review: 2 Months in the Woods by Andrew Hamlin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: 2 Months in the Woods by Andrew Hamlin

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "2 Months in the Woods" by Andrew Hamlin.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

2 Months in the Woods by Andrew Hamlin is an unedited journal about the author's life while working at a salmon hatchery in Alaska. With no cell reception and almost no contact with the outside world, Andrew Hamlin has time to unplug and think about what his future entails and the struggles he will have to face.

The authors time away from civilization promises insightful commentary on the challenges that are thrown his way. Where to next? Will there be a next stop? Does he want to settle down? Will his next job have a good Wi-Fi connection?

Unfortunately, while these questions were dealt with, it all fell flat. It was more a casual thought instead of a real struggle. The short 40-page read was mostly filled with the author's daily schedule at the salmon hatchery in Alaska; his love for Netflix and Wi-Fi; and a bit of thought on what he will be doing after leaving the hatchery.

The author’s personal struggles boil down to whether he’ll take a job that will give him access to a good Wi-Fi connection and whether or not he will farm and settle down or carry on with his adventures. Now, while this could have been expanded on and presented as the real struggle it is, it’s treated more like a quick ‘meh’ question. More time was used to talk about the mortality rates of the salmon than dealing with what the author is struggling with. Everything is straightforward, and I was constantly waiting for there to be more talk of feelings or the author’s personal struggles.

The open-ended ending fits with the story but there is not much in the way of insightful commentary. 2 Months in the Woods is just a journal containing the author's daily schedule.

2 Months in the Woods is stated to be an unedited journal but whether that refers to unedited thoughts or unedited text – I’m unsure. But I will report that 2 Months in the Woods is filled with errors from an overuse of commas to run on sentences.

I rate 2 Months in the Woods 1 out of 4 stars. I feel the blurb is misleading. It promises a much more contemplative story and it doesn’t deliver. The errors were distracting and while the title does say an unedited journal, I feel it should apply to the thoughts of the author and not the text. I couldn’t enjoy this book because it was not what it promised to be. I do not recommend this book.

2 Months in the Woods
View: on Bookshelves

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for your honest review and the warning. I will give this a miss!!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What a disppointment! I think I will skip this one. Thanks for the warning and for the honest review.
badswag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by badswag »

Thanks for your honest review and the warning
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Thanks for the introduction to this book. It is always challenging to review a book that you really dislike. I read a book that was also very much like a collection of unedited journals. Kind of a lazy way to tell a story, I thought. I appreciate your candor and will skip this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Corhan2 wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 01:32 Thanks for your honest review and the warning. I will give this a miss!!
It saddens me that this book didn't meet expectations. Thank you for sticking around! :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 06:48 What a disppointment! I think I will skip this one. Thanks for the warning and for the honest review.
It's a pleasure and it always sucks giving a bad review but we always need to be honest. Thank you for commenting!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

badswag wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 16:56 Thanks for your honest review and the warning
It's a pleasure! Thank you for commenting.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Eva Darrington wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 00:03 Thanks for the introduction to this book. It is always challenging to review a book that you really dislike. I read a book that was also very much like a collection of unedited journals. Kind of a lazy way to tell a story, I thought. I appreciate your candor and will skip this book.
"Kind of a lazy way to tell a story."
Perfectly said. It just didn't do anything for me. Thank you for commenting!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Sad to hear the story couldn't come up to your expectations. Its uninteresting plot with a number of mistakes is enough for me to stay away from this. Thanks for this honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

More time was used to talk about the mortality rates of the salmon than dealing with what the author is struggling with.
Lol! Truly not inspiring! It is disappointing when a promising premise falls flat on its face. Must have been a terrible experience for you trudging through the journal. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 09:40 Sad to hear the story couldn't come up to your expectations. Its uninteresting plot with a number of mistakes is enough for me to stay away from this. Thanks for this honest review.
It was a big disappointment but thank you for sticking around and leaving a comment.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cotwani wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 14:59
More time was used to talk about the mortality rates of the salmon than dealing with what the author is struggling with.
Lol! Truly not inspiring! It is disappointing when a promising premise falls flat on its face. Must have been a terrible experience for you trudging through the journal. Great review!
I'm just really glad it was a short read! It was not what it promised and that made me a liiiiitle
mad. :lol2: Thank you for stopping by and commenting!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

What a shame. In a world where people panic if they are disconnected from ‘the hive’, this could have had so much potential. It needed a writer to do the experiment and he doesn’t sound like one.
Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Sounds miserable and I can't understand the purpose of a 40 page book. Truly, who would want to read that. Thanks for the honest review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”