Official Review: Mr. President, Say What?! by Tom Law

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: Mr. President, Say What?! by Tom Law

Post by 1ditzyrn »

While I am open to reading political nonfiction, it would have to be something written well that doesn't come across as if I am watching CNN and hearing correspondents argue back and forth. Thank you for your honest review. I must say that, given your comments about the "ranting" feel, I don't think I'll be reading this one.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

1ditzyrn wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 14:17 While I am open to reading political nonfiction, it would have to be something written well that doesn't come across as if I am watching CNN and hearing correspondents argue back and forth. Thank you for your honest review. I must say that, given your comments about the "ranting" feel, I don't think I'll be reading this one.
I definitely understand. I was hopeful about the book and ended up being disappointed. Thanks so much for dropping by.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

While I found some of Dr. Law’s essays to be interesting, after a dozen or so, I began noticing quite a lot of overlapping material. The titles changed, but the topics and the critiques were being repeated from slightly different angles. The essays “Respect,” “Letting Go,” “Counterpunching,” and “Retribution,” all discuss the president’s tendency to be thin-skinned and impulsive. This collection would have been served by significant editing for content, punctuation and grammar; I noted ten errors of varying types in the first twelve pages of the book.
I think one of the most difficult things to do, in fiction and non-fiction, is to take a viewpoint and build a compelling narrative around it. People respond to emotion and that is usually achieved by having a relate-able character. In non-fiction, if the author is not using other people as examples, then he is the character. Maybe his experience is just not coming through.

For example, I read a book called Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy, which was about 4 women and their roles in the Civil War. I found it fascinating but not preachy because while the author was relating the stories of each woman (2 were Northern supporters and 2 were Confederate supporters) it was their views of the politics and the happenings of the time you were seeing, not the author's .

One of the women shot a man in her house (not during a battle) and was like, "Die Yankee scum." She got away with it, too.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Doctors and lawyers rarely agree but are two of the most influential types of people in the planet. We usually do as they say because we don't know half of what they are talking about. I wonder if Dr. Law is a pen name. If it isn't, I admire the man for his daring. But it's not exactly unpresidented, as Trump would say.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

FictionLover wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 17:01
While I found some of Dr. Law’s essays to be interesting, after a dozen or so, I began noticing quite a lot of overlapping material. The titles changed, but the topics and the critiques were being repeated from slightly different angles. The essays “Respect,” “Letting Go,” “Counterpunching,” and “Retribution,” all discuss the president’s tendency to be thin-skinned and impulsive. This collection would have been served by significant editing for content, punctuation and grammar; I noted ten errors of varying types in the first twelve pages of the book.
I think one of the most difficult things to do, in fiction and non-fiction, is to take a viewpoint and build a compelling narrative around it. People respond to emotion and that is usually achieved by having a relate-able character. In non-fiction, if the author is not using other people as examples, then he is the character. Maybe his experience is just not coming through.

For example, I read a book called Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy, which was about 4 women and their roles in the Civil War. I found it fascinating but not preachy because while the author was relating the stories of each woman (2 were Northern supporters and 2 were Confederate supporters) it was their views of the politics and the happenings of the time you were seeing, not the author's .

One of the women shot a man in her house (not during a battle) and was like, "Die Yankee scum." She got away with it, too.
This was fairly nakedly the author's viewpoint. The narrative was just so repetitive that it became tiring and predictable. I appreciate you dropping in and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Miriam Molina wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 23:15 Doctors and lawyers rarely agree but are two of the most influential types of people in the planet. We usually do as they say because we don't know half of what they are talking about. I wonder if Dr. Law is a pen name. If it isn't, I admire the man for his daring. But it's not exactly unpresidented, as Trump would say.
Indeed. :D Thank you for stopping in, Miriam Molina!
-Nayyirah Waheed
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I usually stay away from any political read. I will give this one a skip because of the overlapping material and the rating. Ranting just gets on my nerves. But thank you for your well written and honest review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

JR Mercier wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 00:37 I usually stay away from any political read. I will give this one a skip because of the overlapping material and the rating. Ranting just gets on my nerves. But thank you for your well written and honest review!
Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my review. Appreciate it. :tiphat:
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I laughed a little at the part about "ill-fitting suits", LOL! It's a pity that the content was repetitive, although I assume that he has a few salient points. Thanks for the lovely review, Eva! (:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

gen_g wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 00:34 I laughed a little at the part about "ill-fitting suits", LOL! It's a pity that the content was repetitive, although I assume that he has a few salient points. Thanks for the lovely review, Eva! (:
He actually had some very valid points, but they are the same points being made for two years. He kind of went on a weird rant about the president's weight and exactly how his suits don't fit and why he didn't exercise. :D Thanks so much for checking out my review.
-Nayyirah Waheed
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Definitely a catchy title. While this sounds very cathartic for the author (and, as you said, for readers who share the same viewpoint), it doesn't sound very conducive for a healthy political debate. (Otherwise, what will set it apart from the rants you see in social media?)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The author could have delivered much more through this topic. I like political thriller and hope the author would make it more appealing in the next edition by overcoming the current shortcomings of this text. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

inaramid wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 01:36 Definitely a catchy title. While this sounds very cathartic for the author (and, as you said, for readers who share the same viewpoint), it doesn't sound very conducive for a healthy political debate. (Otherwise, what will set it apart from the rants you see in social media?)
Exactly. It was an example of what isn't working very well right now in political discourse. Thanks so much for checking out my review and sharing your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 09:49 The author could have delivered much more through this topic. I like political thriller and hope the author would make it more appealing in the next edition by overcoming the current shortcomings of this text. Great review.
Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I can turn on CNN if I want to hear the same ranting over and over again. Not even sure I would be interested if there was more original thought. I feel bad you had to be subjected to the book but I appreciate the honest review so I can make sure I avoid!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”