Official Review: Mr. President, Say What?! by Tom Law

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Mr. President, Say What?! by Tom Law

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mr. President, Say What?!" by Tom Law.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For The United States, the 2016 election ushered in an unprecedented level of political discord and a new era of political expression. Tensions are still high, and many Americans are speaking out – Americans like Dr. Thomas Law. “If I am going to be true to my country, I cannot continue to close my mouth and keep quiet. I need to speak up hoping that someone will hear and do something about it.” Dr. Law has compiled his thoughts on a broad range of political topics in his 2018 non-fiction book, Mr. President, Say What?!

As the title suggests, Law uses primarily second person, speaking directly to the current president about how he is, or isn’t, governing. Comprised of 103 short essays, the book faults the president across the board on topics that include lying incessantly, dissolving crucial alliances, filling the swamp, favoring the rich, popularizing intolerance, and even sporting ill-fitting suits. Dr. Law’s traditional Republican values make his scathing criticism all the more poignant. Having lived under three twentieth-century dictators in his life, Dr. Law speaks with authority of his concern that the country is currently careening off an autocratic cliff. Law hopes the president will hear the appeal and that the book will positively affect the fate of the country.

The essays begin by defining a problem such as Russian interference or corruption. “Coal,” compares the current administration’s resistance to clean energy with the transition from horse and buggy to automobiles. Making a better horse and buggy would have never taken the country where it needed to go, and neither will insistence that coal is clean. I found this and some of Law's other arguments to be unimaginative. The bulk of each essay consists of the author imploring the president to change his destructive ways. “Step up, Mr. President. Lead this country….The American people deserve more, and they are expecting you to provide it.” The tone of Law’s writing is serious, if not urgent. He continually laments the president’s proven inability to listen to anyone, yet ironically he persists in appealing to the man to change. This type of direct address to the president comes across as a rant, at times, though it undoubtedly reflects the growing fears and frustrations experienced by a broad swath of the country.

While I found some of Dr. Law’s essays to be interesting, after a dozen or so, I began noticing quite a lot of overlapping material. The titles changed, but the topics and the critiques were being repeated from slightly different angles. The essays “Respect,” “Letting Go,” “Counterpunching,” and “Retribution,” all discuss the president’s tendency to be thin-skinned and impulsive. This collection would have been served by significant editing for content, punctuation and grammar; I noted ten errors of varying types in the first twelve pages of the book.

Given the editing problems, the periodic ranting and repeated material, I rate Mr. President, Say What?! 2 out of 4 stars. These essays likely do not provide enough compelling material to appeal to political non-fiction readers, but critics of the president looking to commiserate will be satisfied. Had the author honed his message and offered more unique commentary, the audience for this book would be more substantial.

Mr. President, Say What?!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one is definitely not for me. It would have to be extremely compelling for me to want to read anything political. With the ranting and the repetition, I just can't bring myself to want to start this. I'm sorry it wasn't that great for you either. Hopefully your next one will be better. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

While I certainly understand the author's need to speak out, I dislike political content that is repetitious as it tends to read like a rant. Thanks for your honest review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 13:51 This one is definitely not for me. It would have to be extremely compelling for me to want to read anything political. With the ranting and the repetition, I just can't bring myself to want to start this. I'm sorry it wasn't that great for you either. Hopefully your next one will be better. Thanks!
I know. I was naively optimistic about this book. Didn't deliver though. Thanks for reading my review, though. I appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Cecilia_L wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 13:57 While I certainly understand the author's need to speak out, I dislike political content that is repetitious as it tends to read like a rant. Thanks for your honest review.
Thanks for dropping in and reading the review, Cecelia. I do appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Well, Dr. Law is certainly expressive, confident and honest. He should be commended by everyone. Thank you for your very insightful review.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

The author probably has some good points, but just needs to express them differently. I was interested in this book until you talked about the ranting. I can do without that. I see that enough on TV as it is. Thanks for your review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

crediblereading2 wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 16:59 Well, Dr. Law is certainly expressive, confident and honest. He should be commended by everyone. Thank you for your very insightful review.
Yes, he is certainly speaking out. Thank you for reading the review. I appreciate your thoughts.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

melissy370 wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 18:10 The author probably has some good points, but just needs to express them differently. I was interested in this book until you talked about the ranting. I can do without that. I see that enough on TV as it is. Thanks for your review.
Yes, I had to go there. Too much of it was rehashing and venting. Thank you, though, for reading my review and sharing a comment. I appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

A good political critique has a well-articulated. It sounds like Dr. Law has reasonable complaints about the current administration. It is unfortunate that his message is overshadowed by errors and repetition. Thank you for an honest and good review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Sicily Joy wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 21:11 A good political critique has a well-articulated. It sounds like Dr. Law has reasonable complaints about the current administration. It is unfortunate that his message is overshadowed by errors and repetition. Thank you for an honest and good review.
Yes, the critique is reasonable, but you are right that the tone and errors detracted from the message. Thank you for stopping by and sharing a comment.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am so exhausted by all the antics of 45 that I do not think I could read an entire book cataloging his issues. Thanks for the informative review!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Political fiction or non-fiction is about the most boring thing I can imagine reading. I would consider it doubly boring if it is repetitive. I love this, "critics of the president looking to commiserate will be satisfied." You are probably quite right about that. Excellent review. Definitely not the book for me, but the title made me want to see what it's all about.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Kat Berg wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 23:59 I am so exhausted by all the antics of 45 that I do not think I could read an entire book cataloging his issues. Thanks for the informative review!
Yes, it was definitely tiresome at times. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kfwilson6 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 09:52 Political fiction or non-fiction is about the most boring thing I can imagine reading. I would consider it doubly boring if it is repetitive. I love this, "critics of the president looking to commiserate will be satisfied." You are probably quite right about that. Excellent review. Definitely not the book for me, but the title made me want to see what it's all about.
Yes, this one was tough to push through at times. Thank you for taking the time to read my review and comment.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”