Official Review: Living by Choice by Michael L. Nelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Official Review: Living by Choice by Michael L. Nelson

Post by Mely918 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Living by Choice" by Michael L. Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Living by Choice by Michael Nelson is a self-help guide that provides advice about making choices that will allow individuals to live a fulfilling life. Oftentimes, people get too caught up in their daily lives. As a result, they tend to fall into the habit of taking life one day at a time and going with the flow. Nelson tries to teach his readers to step back and gain more perspective. There is a greater and attainable purpose for everyone. It’s simply a matter of the choices one makes.

The purpose of this guide is to motivate readers into thinking about their lives. Nelson believes that, for the most part, everyone has control over the course their lives take. This book encourages everybody to look within themselves and find their true purpose. Once they discover it, they must make the choices that will allow them to fulfill that purpose. Only then will individuals live to their full potential and truly be happy. Nelson provides eighty-two choices that everyone is likely to face at one point or another. He advises his readers to become independent thinkers and make wiser choices.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very informative and engaging all throughout. The author makes very strong arguments and is able to back them up very well. He uses reasoning and personal opinions to make his points. He also provides hypothetical scenarios to get his points across. Furthermore, it seems professionally edited. I only caught seven mistakes in the whole book. Nelson wrote this book in such a way that makes it incredibly relatable. The choices that he lists in this guide are all choices that everyone has had to make. While some may have been regrettable, Nelson gives his readers hope for a better future. Individuals must simply be willing to look at the bigger picture in order to make the choices that are right for them.

I don’t have much to criticize about this book. It was very organized and eloquent. There was a consistent and steady flow to it as well. If anything, I take issue with the fact that it got repetitive at times. While all the points that Nelson made were valid and good ones, he repeated some of them quite a lot. However, I cannot fully hold that against him, as he did give his readers a warning that this would happen.

All in all, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a very inspirational read. I believe this book can motivate a lot of people to carefully consider their choices in order to live their best lives. This might not be the best book for those who don’t particularly like self-help guides. I do recommend this book to young adults who are beginning to explore all of life’s opportunities. This would also be a great read for anyone who has been or is currently in a rut.

Living by Choice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mely918's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sympathyodeh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sympathyodeh »

you throughly red the novel, perfect review! the book is very educative and can chance someone bad habit to be a responsible individual to it society, it teaches how to live in a good life.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

The book sounds like a good read. 82 choices that most of us come up against, wow!

I share the view that often we get sucked into living day to day and often question how I escape the rut. I have enjoyed reading books such as Who Moved My Cheese to help me think about change so this could be a good book to add to my repertoire.

Thanks for the helpful review.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I have found authors tend to be repetitive in this kind of book because they strive too hard to get their point across. They don't let their arguments lead you to the conclusion, but think they have to constantly tell you about it. It is annoying to me if it is excessive. Philosophically I don't agree with the author, so I wouldn't read this book. It is true we are accountable for our actions, but to find our purpose for living within ourselves is not something I believe in. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm pretty much over self-help books at the moment. They just make it sound so easy, and it's not that easy. Still, I'm glad that you got something out of it. Maybe I'll keep this in mind for sometime when I'm not as cynical. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
lazybekah
Currently Reading: The Devil's Astronaut
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lazybekah.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M

Post by lazybekah »

I started reading self help books a few years ago, and I was surprised by how much I really enjoy them. Even though I'm aware of most of the lessons being taught to me, sometimes I need the reminders to apply them. I'd rather books like these didn't repeat their points multiple times, but I appreciate that the book was good enough that it didn't take away from your enjoyment of it! It sounds like it was an insightful and relatable read. Excellent review :)
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Self help books are often imbued with repetitiveness in order to pass across a particular message to readers.
However, books like this helps to remind people of life lessons and how they apply on day-to-day basis.
Thank you for the review
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This book sounds like an interesting concept, although I would personally prefer an audio book. If I read a repetitive piece, I become much more annoyed, as compared to when I hear it ( not to sure why). Thank you for your review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Galnius
Currently Reading: The Last City of America
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galnius.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Galnius »

I'll not really one for repititive pieces, so I'm not positive I would enjoy this. However, i am also curious as to what the choices are.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a very unique self help book. I'm interested in finding out what the choices are. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great review. I am not into self-help books and so will give this one a miss. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I'd be interested to know what the 82 decisions are. This wouldn't be my book, but I appreciate your review. I have never thought landing on just one purpose would suit me, but I can see how many could benefit from the book. Thanks for the thorough review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I see a lot of things to benefit from this book. Knowing what the 82 decisions are got me interested in this book. Thank you for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Life is all about the choices we make so this book is within the realities of life. A book like this one will be on 'my books to read' list
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

82 choices seems like a lot, but I give the author credit for coming up with them! I always find some gem in every self help book I read. Whether it’s a quote or a concept to apply, I just can’t go wrong when I read this genre. I have gotten burnt out somewhat from the flood of these types of books, so I am currently reading other genres, but this one does look good. Great job on this review!
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”