Official Review: GOLD by Vicki Lynn King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: GOLD by Vicki Lynn King

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "GOLD" by Vicki Lynn King.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a world where negativity is everywhere, often even in our own minds, self-help books are everywhere. There are so many that you could probably build a whole town out of them using just a single copy of each title! Okay, yeah, I may be exaggerating a bit, but with so many self-help books out there, how do you decide which one is for you?

For me, there are three important things a good self-help books needs: information, encouragement, and genuineness (yes, that's really a word!). No self-help book is even worth cracking open if it doesn't give you new information no matter how good it makes you feel, and the last thing anyone needs is a book reminding them of what a failure they are when they're looking to be uplifted. And even if a book does make you feel good and gives you new information, you'll never be encouraged to try any of the things recommended if the author isn't someone genuine, someone you can relate to and who really seems like they're writing the book to reach out to you rather than to try to make a quick buck.

I'm very happy to say that GOLD: How To Go From Lost To Found, Awaken Your Inner Power, And Discover Your Midas Touch by Vicki Lynn King gets high marks in all three subjects. Vicki's writing is incredibly friendly, and it blends Christian beliefs and ideals with lessons about setting goals, positivity, visualization, and the laws of attraction and vibration. There may be some that don't believe in some of these things, whether you're not Christian or don't believe in the ability to get what you want through visualizing it, but Vicki is never pushy about her beliefs at all and has all sorts of proof, both personal and from professional studies,

Vicki begins by describing a bit of her own past, and then goes into relating her own personal experiences with the lessons she's teaching. Two of her life experiences are especially relatable: when she was following her dream of being a singer and when she dove into being self-employed as an insurance saleswoman. In both of these endeavors she faced hardship and could've easily given up, but she stuck with it, powered through the tough times, and ended up being greatly successful. Vicki may believe in the power of visualization, but that doesn't mean just sitting around imagining what you want and not working your butt off for it!

I did not choose to move forward until the pain of my present state became greater than the pain I would go through if I chose change and growth.
The book flows from point to point rather than chronologically, and the 160-ish pages flew by once I started reading. I'm a huge lover of lists and setting goals, so those sections may not have held any new information, but they still managed to reinforce their importance. She also makes some incredible points, such as a study in which three groups of people tried to make as many free throws as they could. After that, they had the first group practice daily for an hour, the second group visualized themselves making free throws and the third group did nothing. Surprisingly, while the first group improved by 24%, the group that visualized and didn't even practice at all improved by 23%! She also made the point that scientists say 70% of our thoughts are negative, and as such the majority of people "have what some people call ANTS, Automatic Negative Thoughts". which is rather enlightening! If you think negatively 70% of the time, unless you specifically choose to think positively, every thought you have is more likely to be negative than positive. Positivity is literally something you have to choose!

I really enjoyed spending time reading Vicki's writing, and she's easily one of the most genuine authors I've ever read. Despite my best efforts I couldn't find a single grammatical error, and I only found a single minor negative thing: in the chapter about tapping and Qigong, she doesn't really go into detail about how they work. She links to more information and mentions other authors and pioneers in the fields, but I really wanted more information in the book itself, or for this to be put into a separate appendix or something. It's still incredibly easy for me to give this book 4 out of 4 stars, and just as easy for me to recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their life and become more positive, especially those who are willing to put the work into it. This is a great starting point for beginning a much more intentional, less passive life.

GOLD
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

It sounds like you really enjoyed this self-help book. With so many available, as you said, it is such a joy to find one that is well written and addresses truly helpful practices. Thank you for the introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one so well. I'm pretty well self-helped out. I do appreciate the power of positive thinking. I'll keep this in mind for a future date. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love your description of what a self-help book should include. I totally agree. Great job on the review.
Moon Water 379
Currently Reading: Enlightened
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moon-water-379.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Moon Water 379 »

I love self help books! Thanks for your honesty. Tapping isn’t for everyone, especially on the face. It can be too much input for a trauma survivor. The combination of visualization and goal setting sounds very helpful. I am so glad Im not the only person with too many negative thoughts. This really sounds like something I should read. Thanks!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”