Official Review: Serene Wellness by Healer Naseem Mariam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Official Review: Serene Wellness by Healer Naseem Mariam

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Serene Wellness" by Healer Naseem Mariam.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serene Wellness by Healer Naseem Mariam is a guide to help everyday people like you and me achieve symphony and balance in their lives. It doesn't matter who you are, or how confused and unbalanced your life is because this book promises to teach you how to improve it so you can be the person you always hoped you'd be.

The book starts with a quiz to help you realize how "good" or "bad" you are handling the seven most important areas in your life: 1. "Physical Vitality", 2. "Emotional-Mental Well-being" 3. "Spiritual Connectivity" 4. "Time Richness" 5. "Financial Abundance", 6. "Relationship Prosperity" and 7. "Community Service". All these seven areas are very important to be balanced in order to achieve "Serene Wellness". If we lack in just one of them it might lead us to sadness, depression or losing the balance of the other six areas.
The quiz is followed by several chapters that describe these areas, why we need them in our life, why we lack in many of those, and what we should do to improve ourselves. I believe the titles are self-explanatory for each area, thus I won't analyze them further.

Every chapter includes multiple quotes related to every area to motivate the reader, and it gives tips and suggestions to organize your life around those areas. Through the last chapters we even read the obstacles we will meet in our way but I don't want to give you more details so you can read it yourself.

Overall, the book is easy to read, and it's written in a way many people could benefit from it. Personally, I knew most of the advice and tips so unfortunately, it wasn't much of a help to me. Mariam tries to broach certain subjects which afflict today's society, especially in India, but in her struggle to make this world a better place she often represents a utopian life and unrealistic behaviors. I don't want to differ with the author, it's true that if we follow her suggestions to the letter our lives would improve tremendously. What I think she doesn't take into consideration are the different circumstances, values, and facts a person might have. For example, an atheist doesn't need the "Spiritual Connectivity" to be happy. I know many people who might get offended with the "need" to believe in something superior to themselves. I'm not against it myself, I just point out that the alchemy of "Serene Wellness" is not as perfect as it seems.

Through the book, we often read the schedule of a person leading the life of "Seren Wellness". It was then that I realized how unrealistic this life is for most of the people. Balancing those seven areas seems exhausting and very pretentious. You can't just say: "from 18:00 to 18:15 I will pray, and then from 18:16 to 19:00 I will spend time with my children but when the clock tics 20:01 I have to go and do charity, or yoga, or something else". Yes, organizing your life is important, yes, you must have a certain program if you don't want to end up all over the place but the plan Mariam suggest is impossible for most people. Maybe someone could achieve it for a day or two but afterward, he/she would collapse.

Another minus of this book is that it lacks on tips to improve your finances. The author is very generic on this subject, and she only gives tips on how to manage your earning, should you have them. But how do I get to the point where Ι'm actually able to have the financial abundance to support my family and give to charity, is something that is left unexplainable.

Also at some point in this book, the writer express the need for a mentor in our lives. A person close to us who is successful in most of the areas we want to succeed. Someone who is already where we want to be. He or she should be close to us, advise us, punish us, and guide us so we will achieve "Serene Wellness" as they did. Well, personally, I don't have a person like that in my surroundings, and I doubt I will find one willing to teach me and guide me. This idea, in my opinion, is another unrealistic expectation of the author.

To sum up, I wish I could give this book three stars but unfortunately, I can't. I didn't learn something I didn't know. I knew that if I was healthy, rich, loved and compassionate, having time for myself and for the people I love, and have a close connection with God, I would be the happiest person on earth. But there are certain reasons why people, usually, can't achieve such happiness, and it's not just the obstacles mentioned in the book. I feel this book promises an unrealistic life, at least from my point of view. I'm sure that it will help many people improve their lives and inspire them. I don't want to belittle the book, not for a moment. I appreciate the effort the author gives to help her readers be happier. Some people might even find this book life-changing but for me, that wasn't the case. I could give it more stars if there were more genuine pieces of advice and fewer quotes from other writers. Unfortunately, I have to give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I am not suggesting you shouldn't read it though. The book is well edited and includes facts and some good tips. However, for all the reasons I listed above, I couldn't vote otherwise.

Serene Wellness
View: on Bookshelves

Like Sen_Suzumiya's review? Post a comment saying so!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Dishing out the same old ideas along with providing unrealistic advice is not what a good self-help book does. I am going to skip this one. Thanks for the honest review!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The author describes nirvana. I wish life were that simple.

I tend to agree with your vote, Sen_Suzumiya!
Rafaella Michailidou

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 00:41 Dishing out the same old ideas along with providing unrealistic advice is not what a good self-help book does. I am going to skip this one. Thanks for the honest review!
I'm glad I could help. Maybe there are some tips you would find useful in this book. For me, having read so many self-help books just wasn't the case.
― Lemony Snicket
Rafaella Michailidou

Miriam Molina wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 07:43 The author describes nirvana. I wish life were that simple.

I tend to agree with your vote, Sen_Suzumiya!
Yeah, I really hope I could achieve what was written in the book myself! Thanks for your comment.
― Lemony Snicket
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Scheduling spirituality doesn't always work that well. You did a nice job of reviewing this challenging book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
BLINKYNOEL36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by BLINKYNOEL36 »

You did a great job reviewing the book. I suffer from depression and it is a compli cated illness.
Rafaella Michailidou

Eva Darrington wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 10:25 Scheduling spirituality doesn't always work that well. You did a nice job of reviewing this challenging book.
Thank you for your kind words. I have to agree with you, some aspects of life cannot be controlled.
― Lemony Snicket
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

From what you have mentioned in your review, I don't really expect I would learn anything new from this book. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Rafaella Michailidou

BLINKYNOEL36 wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 13:23 You did a great job reviewing the book. I suffer from depression and it is a compli cated illness.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you can feel better soon. If you want me to suggest you books that will help you send me a PM.
― Lemony Snicket
Rafaella Michailidou

daydreaming reader wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 19:51 From what you have mentioned in your review, I don't really expect I would learn anything new from this book. Thank you for your thorough review.
Unfortunately, I didn't. Of course, it's my personal opinion, you can give it a try if you think there is an area in your life you are unable to organize.
― Lemony Snicket
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I like the ideas that the author has described, but I agree it may be hard to carry out the suggestions in such a scheduled way. Life can be very unpredictable and sticking to set times for spirituality and wellness exercises may be difficult. I like a little more flexibility in my life. Thanks for your review.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Rafaella Michailidou

BookReader+6 wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 09:00 I like the ideas that the author has described, but I agree it may be hard to carry out the suggestions in such a scheduled way. Life can be very unpredictable and sticking to set times for spirituality and wellness exercises may be difficult. I like a little more flexibility in my life. Thanks for your review.
Thank was exactly what I thought when I was reading this book. Thank you for your comment.
― Lemony Snicket
BLINKYNOEL36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by BLINKYNOEL36 »

Thank you for your kind words. I am a life long sufferer of generalized anxiety and depression. I am under the care of a good doctor and have a relatively normal life and family. My opinion is that these type of self help books promote a cure from mental illnesses and depression. They might give people false ideas that these illnesses are cureable themselves without receiving treatment from a doctor. They also shame people into believing that if I do x y and z I will be cured from my illness and be a happy person which is not how mental illness works. Please do not follow this hype and see a doctor if you suspect you have depression.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I am an organized person and at the same time spontaneous, the scheduled life doesn't work for me. If I happen to read this book, I will read it with an open mind. Thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”