Official Review: I Am Beautiful by Ann Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: I Am Beautiful by Ann Smith

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Am Beautiful" by Ann Smith.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ann Smith gives her insights and experiences of what being beautiful is all about and includes tips and advice on becoming the best a woman can be in her non-fictional book I am Beautiful (and so are You). The title grabbed my attention because I knew that saying “I am beautiful” was not meant to be a proud statement about an outward appearance. I best liked when the author shared the Webster dictionary’s definition of beauty, as it did not include anything about “looks”.

The author makes it clear that our image is not just what we see in a mirror, but it also includes our inner image. She states that what is on the inside shows on the outside and that there are many things women can do that affect how we feel and act. Ann discusses the things that women can do to keep healthy and happy, which reflect an inner beauty. There are chapters on maintaining good habits of eating healthy, exercising regularly, and thinking positively, as well as, touching on clothing fashion and the use of makeup. If I had to sum up this author’s message, I would use her own statement. Ann states:
“Beauty is so much more than looks ... There are some physical things we can do to help or enhance our outer physical appearance but real beauty comes from deep within the recesses of the heart and soul.”
Ann uses a few Bible verses scattered throughout her book. She also shares quite a number of books that she has read and that have helped her. She shares several real-life examples of people to demonstrate her points on the topics. However, on sharing about her life and family, it felt a bit scattered and not very clear on some details.

I liked the four women’s perspective on being beautiful, which the author included at the end of the book. They touched on confidence, self-worth, and unconditional love as some of their discussions on defining beauty and being beautiful. However, I did not like the poor quality of the pictures of these women. One was blurry, one was a yellowish-color, and another was dark and shadowy. I also wondered who these women were in relation to the author.

Though I liked the topic and the overall message of being beautiful, I, unfortunately, cannot overlook the punctuation and grammar mistakes. For example, "prospective" was used instead of perspective in describing a man’s viewpoint. I least liked the organization of the book, as some topics were repeated throughout and some things didn’t seem to flow well in the chapter. Therefore, I rate the book I am Beautiful 2 out of 4 stars. If the book would undergo a deep editing, I would consider rating it 3 out of 4 stars.

I think the topic of being beautiful is a very important one that should be discussed and portrayed by women to the younger women and girls. Mothers may like this book to help discuss being beautiful with their daughters. Young women and teenage girls may find this book the most helpful as they are developing their self-esteem. Though men may get some benefit out of reading this book in understanding the true beauty of women, they may like reading this book the least.

I Am Beautiful
View: on Bookshelves

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I have read good books before, but never got to finish them due to the poor edition which terribly ruined the flow of the book! The book sounds amazing, and I think I can learn a thing or two from it. Thanks for the review, and for enduring all the imperfections in it.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. I like the concept of this book! I feel that there should be more books out there that focuses on inner beauty - and other beauty that doesn't include the outward appearance. It's a shame about all the editing errors though!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I like the concept of the book, but some editing definitely needs to be done. Thank you for your honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Editing problems generally affect my reading enjoyment, so I will probably skip this book. But, I do appreciate your thorough review of the book. I like the concept of redefining beauty.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Repetition seems to be common in books like this. Sometimes, I think the author does it on purpose. Good editors are priceless in this case. I think I'll wait for further editing before I read this. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Men should read this and learn to appreciate a woman's inner beauty. They would probably be bored though!
I always find that people are more "attractive" to me, if they have a good personality. Even the cutest guy can look ugly to me if he has an ugly attitude.
With some cleanup, this does sound like a great book for teens emerging into womanhood.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

kfwilson6 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 09:46 Men should read this and learn to appreciate a woman's inner beauty. They would probably be bored though!
I always find that people are more "attractive" to me, if they have a good personality. Even the cutest guy can look ugly to me if he has an ugly attitude.
With some cleanup, this does sound like a great book for teens emerging into womanhood.
You are probably right! Thanks for your comment.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Norms and standards are good if they could lead to betterment. If not, there's always rhyme and reason for venturing towards deeper introspection to find what could. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”