Official Review: The Diary Of A Changed Man by Marlon reid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Official Review: The Diary Of A Changed Man by Marlon reid

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Diary Of A Changed Man" by Marlon reid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Diary Of A Changed Man is a book written by Marlon Reid documenting his journey from his childhood to adulthood through difficult times brought on by bad decisions that he made along the way. The audio-book is narrated by John H Fehskens.

Marlon was born to an addicted mother who was impregnated at an early age of 16. In order to get him a good upbringing, she had to leave him with his grandparents most of his childhood to the extent that he knew them as ‘mum’ and ‘dad’. As a child, he didn’t see it that way. As he grew he came to find out more about his background and in the process realized that not everyone is who he believed they were. This hurt him and made him feel betrayed. As he grew up and went to school he was at the same time hanging out with friends from the streets, who seemed to be doing okay dealing drugs. Soon he joined them, enjoying the freedom the money afforded him despite numeral lock-ups and having to deal with a probation officer.

He became a father as a teenager, bringing in new challenges in his life. This nudged him toward a path of getting his life back on track. It was after many pitfalls, lock-ups, relapses, reliance on Divine strength and support from a long time girlfriend that he managed to pull through. Part of his motivation was his younger brother Derrick’s success in the boxing world and the need to be a good example to his son and other young men in his neighbourhood. He had also lost a few of his friends to the street. The kind of support he expected from his kin and crew when he was struggling wasn’t always forthcoming. This was partly due to the bad name he had made for himself.

The great thing I realized about an audiobook is you can listen to it while doing something else that doesn’t need all your attention like driving, laundry or better yet, writing notes related to the book. Although there were rare phrase repetitions here and there, the story flow was gracious and simple to comprehend. The author told it in first person mixing in some of that “Philly” (Philadelphia) slang/phraseology. The tone of his story is filled with gratitude toward his grandparents, friends from Myrtlewood Street, from the church, and any other person who positively contributed to his life in one way or another.

I like the fact that the author left little out of his story to share where one is capable of coming from and make a change for the better. His story should be inspiring to young men who need not make the bad choices he did growing up. I recommend this book to them, and any other who is in a position of influence over such, to share this story. Marlon Reid is currently married to Julia, is an ordained deacon at his home church and is the founder of Men do Help Men Foundation.

I have no reason not to rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. I think the memoir is well narrated and organized in the book’s almost 40 short chapters, which include a number of open letters. Those who like memoirs will also enjoy this book.

The Diary Of A Changed Man
View: on Bookshelves

Like KitabuKizuri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lwazi62
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Lwazi62 »

I have yet to read or review any book here but I must say, I think KitabuKitamu's review is splendid.
You had me hooked in your brief summary of the book: not too much information also not too little but just right. This is one book I hope to read soon.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

What an interesting book! I would like to read more about the real-life drama that officers face daily. I think I will have to read the book :)
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

You have written a thorough review of this beautiful memoir. I also enjoy audio "reading" for the reasons you highlighted. It sounds like this author did a nice job of recounting how he overcame numerous obstacles.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Lwazi62 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 10:42 I have yet to read or review any book here but I must say, I think KitabuKitamu's review is splendid.
You had me hooked in your brief summary of the book: not too much information also not too little but just right. This is one book I hope to read soon.
Thanks for the kind compliments, welcome! Happy reading and reviewing!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Allyseria wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 13:27 What an interesting book! I would like to read more about the real-life drama that officers face daily. I think I will have to read the book :)
The story may not be so much about officers but do grab the book!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Eva Darrington wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 11:10 You have written a thorough review of this beautiful memoir. I also enjoy audio "reading" for the reasons you highlighted. It sounds like this author did a nice job of recounting how he overcame numerous obstacles.
Audible is definitely convenient. Thanks for passing by!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A book that encourages one to always be hopeful & strive towards becoming a better person. A real-life drama. This is an interesting book I'd love to read!
Thanks for the good review
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

T_stone wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 12:35 A book that encourages one to always be hopeful & strive towards becoming a better person. A real-life drama. This is an interesting book I'd love to read!
Thanks for the good review
You're welcome! thanks for passing by.
valariewanjagitonga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by valariewanjagitonga »

Author:Marlon Reid
Title of the book:The Diary Of A changed Man

It is a motivating experience to have the opportunity to get some knowledge from this book.I feel inspired to continue reading more.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:

Post by KitabuKizuri »

valariewanjagitonga wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 02:28 Author:Marlon Reid
Title of the book:The Diary Of A changed Man

It is a motivating experience to have the opportunity to get some knowledge from this book.I feel inspired to continue reading more.
Thanks for the comment, keep on reading!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”