Official Review: Moonshots

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: Moonshots

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Moonshots" by Naveen Jain, John Schroeter, Sir Richard Branson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Moonshots by Naveen Jain (author), John Schroeter (contributor), and Sir Richard Branson (foreword) talks about what it takes to enable exponential technology developments that will forever change the way in which we live and work.

People have always been asking the wrong questions: they want to know how they could get rich as opposed to how they could do meaningful things. This is the focal point of the foreword of the book that has been contributed by Sir Richard Branson himself. This essentially lays the groundwork for the rest of the chapters where Naveen Jain, a business executive, entrepreneur, and the founder and former CEO of InfoSpace, starts sharing his insights into what are the things that hold us back from achieving amazing things in life. The hard truth we need to face up to today is how, in today’s global economy driven by scarcity, we have to create more of what we need rather than spend less of what we have.

The urgency is real, as we see billions of people around us without basic education, safe water, adequate nutrition, and access to healthcare. But each one of us is capable of changing these conditions by cultivating the right mind-set – pessimism and resignation about the situation will do nothing to uncover human potential. Jain – in his optimistic way – assures us that he doesn’t believe we will let the doom and gloom predictions become a reality. As an example he quotes the situation in 1825, when people didn’t know what rail travel was and strongly believed that, at 30 miles per hour, passengers would simply melt and uteruses would fly out of the female body. Yet, the Stockton-Darlington Railway made rail travel possible and people took to it like fish to water. This is an example of a “moonshot” as per Jain—a ground-breaking project undertaken without any expectation of near-term profitability, making a huge positive change to the lives of people in the process.

In addition to the foreword and the afterword, the book is divided into three major parts. Part one talks about intellectual curiosity, creating a post-scarcity world, and finding your right direction. Part two provides some good old motivation to aim higher in life and discusses the problems with health and education today, and what can be done about these issues. And part three deals with the need for perfect execution and offers some steps to success.

Overall, the book is great and I enjoyed reading it. It is inspiring, encouraging, entertaining and, at times, awe-inspiring. What is most admirable about this book is how it gets us to start thinking of our lives and how we can make a difference to the world, rather than wait for others to make a move. I also find it enlightening that as I read Jain’s thoughts and learned his perspectives on a variety of topics, I was encouraged to feel more optimistic that things could just get better from here on for our planet and its inhabitants, thanks to the work of entrepreneurs like the author himself. If you are aware of the law of attraction, I can tell you that this book’s tips and tricks sound a lot more like the teachings of that law, but even go beyond that by telling us not to just believe that things will happen—just go ahead and make them happen. Inaction is seriously not appreciated by this entrepreneur. The writing reflects the passion with which the author has written these chapters, and it feels like he is talking to us one-to-one and trying to answer all the questions we have in our mind about the future that we just cannot predict. What’s more, I have to admit that the book has been perfectly edited and I found absolutely no errors in the book including misspelled words, missing words, and typos.

However, I had a difficult time keeping my attention focused on the book at times. Not just once did I find it hard to keep myself engrossed in the book due to the sheer length of the chapters and the repetition of a single idea over and over again in the same chapter. This kills some of the enthusiasm we feel about reading the book.

I, therefore, give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it to everyone, especially those who feel down in the dumps due to the doomsday predictions they are exposed to on a daily basis and sincerely wish to bring about a change in people’s lives.

Moonshots
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Cultivating the right mindset is certainly the antidote for success in today's world. I am glad you have enjoyed reading this book. Thank you for a great review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

However, I had a difficult time keeping my attention focused on the book at times. Not just once did I find it hard to keep myself engrossed in the book due to the sheer length of the chapters and the repetition of a single idea over and over again in the same chapter. This kills some of the enthusiasm we feel about reading the book.
The lengthy chapters and repetitious content would cause me to lose interest. Thank you for your candid review.
APOLLYON
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by APOLLYON »

Yes the book brings some send in life and I am trying to live by his advises and see if my life could change
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

crediblereading2 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 15:06 Cultivating the right mindset is certainly the antidote for success in today's world. I am glad you have enjoyed reading this book. Thank you for a great review.
Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The hard truth we need to face up to today is how, in today’s global economy driven by scarcity, we have to create more of what we need rather than spend less of what we have.
Hard truth indeed, it always seems easier to attempt spending less of what we have. Sounds like a book with useful information despite the lengthy chapters and repetition of ideas. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

he hard truth we need to face up to today is how, in today’s global economy driven by scarcity, we have to create more of what we need rather than spend less of what we have.
I agree with the authors' viewpoint. I also like the example of the rail travel that you provided in your review to explain "moonshot". However, repetition can indeed dissociate an enthused reader. Hence, I will skip this one. Thanks for the review!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Sounds inspiring, something we could all use in today's world! Thanks for your review.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This absolutely sounds like a book I would enjoy. I WANT to be able to make a difference. I could care less about getting rich. Sounds like the author does a good job with the subject. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Cecilia_L wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 15:10
The lengthy chapters and repetitious content would cause me to lose interest. Thank you for your candid review.
You're right. That is a bone of contention I had with this book as well.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

"...they want to know how they could get rich as opposed to how they could do meaningful things."
"...we have to create more of what we need rather than spend less of what we have."

Some of these ideas from the book that you included in your review were really interesting. Unfortunately, I think I'd be one of those people to lose interest in the long chapters and repetitiveness, but I felt I learned enough from your review that I almost don't even have to read it :) Thanks!
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Great review. Lengthy chapters and repetitive topics tend to turn me off, so I don't know that I will read this one but I am glad that you enjoyed it.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Books that promote everyone to think about how to make the world better. To consider more than money and focus on the wellbeing of everyone. I look forward to seeing how the world progresses and how we change each other.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

APOLLYON wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 17:07 Yes the book brings some send in life and I am trying to live by his advises and see if my life could change
That's exactly what the author intended to achieve, I am sure.

Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Cotwani wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 03:20
The hard truth we need to face up to today is how, in today’s global economy driven by scarcity, we have to create more of what we need rather than spend less of what we have.
Hard truth indeed, it always seems easier to attempt spending less of what we have. Sounds like a book with useful information despite the lengthy chapters and repetition of ideas. Great review!
It sure is a good book to have by your side for whenever you want that boost of motivation.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”