Official Review: Bosnian Phoenix: How Bosnia Saved Europe...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Official Review: Bosnian Phoenix: How Bosnia Saved Europe...

Post by crediblereading2 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bosnian Phoenix: How Bosnia Saved Europe and Made Possible the Modern Age" by Miljan Peter Ilich.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This historical nonfiction book entitled Bosnian Phoenix: How Bosnia Saved Europe and Made Possible the Modern Age by Author Miljan Peter Ilich is undoubtedly an informative and enthralling read. It defines Bosnia’s role in the defense of Europe from Turkey's menacing invasions for over a century and clarifies the myths that surround that country.

The tale unfolds by highlighting the era of the early 1990s in Bosnia. It was a time when the world was disconcerted by the bloody and bitter warfare that shook the regions of the former Yugoslavia; Bosnia and Herzegovina were the focal areas of this warfare. It narrates that throughout the ages different nations such as the Croats, Serbs, and even the Catholic Church had raged many battles in these regions. Many persons from these nations settled there, and overtime multi-ethnic populations were formed. The Illyrians, an Indo-European people who settled throughout the Balkans was one of such multi-ethnic nations. In the Fourth Century B.C., Bosnia and Herzegovina were captured by the Celts who placed purgative in the food of the Illyrians.

The author also mentions Bogomilism. It was a religion that was strongly established in Bosnia in 1203 when the Bosnians agreed to follow Catholic orders. The religion lasted for three centuries and has provided the foundation for Protestantism and the modern western world.

Portrayed in the book are numerous leaders that played significant roles in the history of the featured countries. One of such persons of renown was Matthew Corvinus. For many years after 1463, it was mainly his leadership that kept much of Bosnia proper out of Turkish hands. However, his feud with the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III of the Habsburg family made it quite an arduous task. Kulin Ban, son of Boric, is another person of great importance in the history of Bosnia. He ruled Bosnia for approximately 40 years and catapulted that country to great heights. An account is given of how the heir to the Austrian Hungarian throne was assassinated by a young Bosnian which led to the first world war. Suileman, the young new sultan of Ottoman is also highlighted in the book. In 1526, in the conquest of Europe, he had a Turkish victory over Hungary, Bosnia, and Jajce.

The author who has a Ph.D. in history and, a JD in law is also a professor of law and history. He has certainly presented to us an in-depth chronological record of the events regarding Bosnia. The narration is done in the third person, and the mood throughout the book is courage. Because it could only take this great virtue for Bosnia and Herzegonia to defend themselves against the constant attacks of the Turks throughout the ages. I must also add that this courage of the Bosnian people is what I greatly admire about this book. This was displayed by leaders such as Kulin Ban, the son of Boric and, Vlatko who was quite instrumental in the resistance of the Turks.

There is a section of this history that I found particularly disturbing. It is the section which gives an account of how 46 Bosnians were cut in halves alive by the Turks and 3 stomped to death by elephants. This was as a result of them conspiring with the Hungarians against the Turks. I must also add that I agree with the author that it was because of King Tomasi turning against the Bogomils at the request of the papacy that caused Bosnia and Herzegovina to fall into the hands of the Turks and for Europe to be assaulted for many years afterward.

The book consists of 22 Chapters, and the history is outlined in chronological order. The writing style of the author is impeccable, mature and academic. He has described the personality of some persons throughout the passages of the book to be very engaging and at times whimsical. The prose is skillfully used in a manner to convey vivid sceneries of battlefields to the minds of the readers. These are battlefields where wretched war raged and blood-curdling cries of defeat, and victory echoed as one soldier after another slumped to their death. There is also a high usage of pathos and ethos interwoven within the passages of the book that add more flavor, intrigue, and thrill for the readers.

I have noted that bravery and loyalty are promoted in this book. I would recommend it to persons who have a deep interest in and an appreciation for history, especially those on the topic of war. Persons affected by trauma should resist the urge to read this book. However, there are other trauma patients who may find the strength to overcome as there are elements to this book that promotes courage and resistance. I could barely find any errors, and the author has outdone himself by presenting such a detailed account of history. Based on these observations, I will award this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating as it so rightly deserves.

Bosnian Phoenix: How Bosnia Saved Europe and Made Possible the Modern Age
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I used to think historical fiction and non-fiction wasn't for me. I read one recently that changed my mind about that. They are usually so revealing. I'll love to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Wow, this sounds like a gruesome but honest account of Bosnia's history and its role in the defence of Europe from Turkey's invasions. I don't particularly like reading about history but it sounds like a very informative read for those who have an interest in history!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oh my. Cut in half while alive? That's definitely brutal. I know very little about Bosnia, so this would be a good book to pick up. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
crediblereading2

prospero360 wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 06:35 I used to think historical fiction and non-fiction wasn't for me. I read one recently that changed my mind about that. They are usually so revealing. I'll love to read this book. Thank you for the review.
It all depends on how creative the author gets. Whether the book is about fiction or non-fiction, it is how the elements are blended to engage readers. Thank you for your kind comments.
crediblereading2

Allyseria wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 10:19 Wow, this sounds like a gruesome but honest account of Bosnia's history and its role in the defence of Europe from Turkey's invasions. I don't particularly like reading about history but it sounds like a very informative read for those who have an interest in history!
I do agree with you that it has some gruesome elements to it but it is also very informative. Thank you for your honest opinion on this book.
crediblereading2

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 18:09 Oh my. Cut in half while alive? That's definitely brutal. I know very little about Bosnia, so this would be a good book to pick up. Thanks for the information.
I do agree with you that it has some gruesome elements to it but it is also very informative. Thank you for your honest opinion re this book.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

History and historic fictions are not really my thing but the section that included the gruesome caught my eyes.
A very avowing book.
Good review
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

This novel seems like it would definitely keep you on your toes. Personally, I love the gruesome elements in such books as they mirror reality. Thanks for the wonderful review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

You wrote an excellent review of a book that took courage to read. The book was about Bosnia's role in defending Europe against invasions of Turkey. I had never heard of the religion "Bogomillism" before. The book was well written by the author, who must have definitely had a handle on understanding the history of Bosnia and their leaders, to able to write it all down in an interesting way. History buffs would surely like to read this book.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

The book sounds very interesting. I like that the author has done his research and really knows a lot this subject.Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

This truly sounds like a good read. The title seems a bit daunting but your review may have changed my mind. I think I'm going to give this book a try.

Excellent review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for this enlightening review. The title alone scared me off! The book seems action packed with gruesome/bloody war scenes. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Harzelryan »

Wow it is an interesting review I'm looking forward to reading this book. Really glad you enjoyed the read and thanks for the review.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I'm not usually a nonfiction reader when it comes to reading for pleasure, but I do enjoy history. Your review makes this book sound like one I should definitely consider. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”