Official Review: Under the Birch Tree by Nancy Chadwick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Under the Birch Tree by Nancy Chadwick

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Under the Birch Tree" by Nancy Chadwick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Under the Birch Tree is a captivating memoir which details Nancy Chadwick’s life. For Nancy, a birch tree represents familiarity, stability, and home. Since she was a little girl, she has resonated with the tall, strong birch tree that grew outside of her home on Carlisle Avenue. Her happy childhood is shadowed by her parents’ divorce and the sudden uprooting of their lives due to this. The struggles of growing up are also evident in her story. Nancy also writes about her college experiences and her career in the advertising and banking industries. Her friendships, relationships, and marriage are also a significant part of her memoir. Throughout her book, she places a deep regard for her everlasting faith in God and the importance of the birch tree in her life.

I really enjoyed this memoir. I can compare it to watching a movie because of the way Nancy expressed herself through her descriptions. She had a flair for writing vivid and diverse descriptions of nature, such as in the last chapter where she described the scene overlooking a valley. Her childhood memories were also powerfully written because she invoked almost all of the senses in her descriptions, for example, the orange fragrance she associated with her grandmother.

Another thing which I liked about this book was that the characters’ personalities were unique and captivating. For instance, Nancy’s mother was the type of woman to exude perfection in her home and family. Image was everything to her and she liked styling her children in clothes that presented them to the world in the best way possible. She also liked taking photos where they could portray the image of a cohesive, happy family. Her character reminded me of Bree Vandercamp from the TV series, Desperate Housewives. Furthermore, her brother was the rebel who smoked, skipped work, and dressed against his mother’s wishes.

Nancy’s faith in God and her belief that He would never cause anything bad to happen to her was both admirable and relatable. Like Nancy, I am a Catholic, but I have found my own way to connect with the divine which does not involve fasting for Lent or strictly attending church. One of Nancy’s profound spiritual moments was at the St. Joan of Arc Chapel which she happily realized was nestled among birch trees. As this type of tree always held meaning for her, she truly felt God’s presence at that moment. After reading about this memory, I took a minute to marvel at the divine synchronicities in my own life.

In my opinion, this was a spectacular and well-written memoir. I also believe that it was professionally edited because I only found one error where an “a” was missing. I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who enjoys memoirs should read this wonderful book.

Under the Birch Tree
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for your review. It's great that the characters' personalities were unique, and I already feel like I can relate to Nancy!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Almost all the actions in our life are done to achieve two things- happiness and stability (not necessarily in that order :p). Everybody's notions of these two things vary. I am intrigued to find out more about the author's story whether she was able to overcome all odds. Thanks for the beautiful review!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I can relate to Nancy's feelings toward the birch tree since I planted an elm tree in the backyard when I was young, and it mirrored my growth and provided a reassuring presence in my life. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I really enjoyed reading this review. I am not usually one to read too much nonfiction, but I really think I would like this book. I like that the character's personality is unique and captivating. I think that it is something that helps to build a really good book and to help a reader to connect with the character.
Mac :techie-reference:
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

BookReader+6 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 09:07 I can relate to Nancy's feelings toward the birch tree since I planted an elm tree in the backyard when I was young, and it mirrored my growth and provided a reassuring presence in my life. Thanks for your review!
It is truly remarkable what trees can symbolize in our lives. It's cool that your special tree was an elm. I think you would love this book :)
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

KristyKhem wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 14:07
BookReader+6 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 09:07 I can relate to Nancy's feelings toward the birch tree since I planted an elm tree in the backyard when I was young, and it mirrored my growth and provided a reassuring presence in my life. Thanks for your review!
It is truly remarkable what trees can symbolize in our lives. It's cool that your special tree was an elm. I think you would love this book :)
Thanks, I think I'll enjoy reading the book too.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”