Review by AutumnIvy -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
AutumnIvy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnivy.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Review by AutumnIvy -- The Unbound Soul

Post by AutumnIvy » 18 Sep 2018, 14:48

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul by Richard Haight is a personal journey of spirituality. This four-part biography takes the reader through Haight’s personal experiences that led to his spiritual awakening and beyond.

In part one of this journey, Haight tells us about his background and childhood experiences that led him to seek a deeper understanding. I was moved to tears in this first part. I felt his experiences as if they had happened to me. The author is very relatable, and I think it is due to him explaining his genuine experiences. I felt Haight’s struggles and victories with him.

In part two, Haight gives his readers details on the meditation practices he came up with and explains how and why they work so well. We are asked to try his process as if we are Haight’s students. I spent a lot of time on this part of the book and I think that anyone who is seeking this path would be well served to take part two step-by-step.

Part three was lovely because Haight took me from his meditation practices which felt like they should stand alone and brought them into everyday life. In this part, Haight guided me through refining the practices outlined in part two. I especially enjoyed chapter 17 because Haight focuses on caring for the physical body in this chapter. I find that too often in this type of book the author will ignore the fact that we are physical beings and focus solely on our mental state. I think that because Haight has an extensive background in martial arts he is more inclined to consider bodies as part of the equation for enlightenment.

Part four was a beautiful “coming together” of all Haight’s thoughts, ideas, and practices. In this section, he expounds on everything he learned in his life journey and leaves the reader with some profound thoughts on life, the universe, and everything. He did a marvelous job expressing the essence of his beliefs.

In all, I found this to be a very enjoyable book. I thought Haight expressed his thoughts and experiences in a manner that is relatable and profound. I can tell that he spent years working on, developing, and changing before sharing this with the world.

While I enjoyed it, I also found this book to be somewhat tedious in spots. There were a few times I had to push myself to keep reading. This probably stems from my school days and being forced into reading biographies for book reports. So, if you have a conditioned response to biographies like I do then you might struggle to get through this book as well.

The book was professionally edited, and I did not notice any flaws in the writing. I am giving this 4 out of 4 stars. This is a great book for anyone questioning their spiritual path or why they are living this life.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like AutumnIvy's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”