Official Review: Nothing Left but Love

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Nothing Left but Love

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nothing Left but Love" by Glenda Rueger Payne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"We chose loving and compassion over anger, resentment, and hate." Hold the thought!

Nothing Left But Love by Glenda Rueger Payne recounts the author's journey with her mother's final life stage afflicted with Alzheimer's disease and congenital heart failure. Sadness and hardships mark her role as a caregiver as she watches her mother approaches the end of life. When their family realizes Wanda Rueger's deteriorating condition, they enter her into a hospice program. As they take turns in visiting their mother, they created a journal to document her death journey. The author shares her mother’s journal, offering the readers an intimate view of her mom's condition. The journal, in addition, contains her beautiful and painful memories growing up with Wanda. Glenda Payne also shares parts of her personal journal so that readers will be able to understand where all her feelings and thoughts are coming from: an unwanted child and sibling throughout her childhood, and several unpleasant situations as she grew up within a dysfunctional family.

What I liked about this novel was it was about love, a love so big it was able to mend any troubled relationships, to forget past hurts and anger. The narrations were full of insights, wisdom, and enlightenments. Having a mother suffering also from Alzheimer's, I can relate with the author in all aspects and levels. I felt her sufferings, her pains and the deep feeling of sadness that her own mother sees a stranger and not her own flesh and blood. Using a first-person perspective provided the deepest personal touch to her novel, made more intimate by the journals. The book was an easy read, properly labeled to assist the reader in following the flow of the story. The author did not hold back; she presented the unpleasant things, the painful ones she experienced as a child, and the hardships the caregivers (family members) experienced during her mom’s death journey. Readers should expect some shocking revelations along the way!

There were minimal grammatical errors, and these were few and far in between. One was how oxygen saturation level was written and some misses on punctuation. I observed the word "granddaddy" was capitalized. The author mentioned some medications which I had to search online to comprehend what these were for. I have to assume the drugs’ indication within the context of the sentence. Not everyone is familiar about the Alzheimer's disease, so I think the author should have provided some information or a bit of backgrounder.

While there were some flaws, I nonetheless give the book 4 out of 4 stars. These flaws did not distract me from appreciating the bravery and love by which the author wrote this book. It was a moving novel, each chapter informative.

This book is for everyone, regardless of religious beliefs or philosophy. If you want to be enlightened and touched; if you want to cry and experience a pleasant feeling in your heart; if you want to be educated on how people with Alzheimer’s disease behave, this book is for you.

Nothing Left but Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Misael's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This book seems to be a catharsis for the author and she seems to have done it gracefully without being overbearing. Thanks for the informative review!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This one sounds like something I would enjoy just because of the subject of Alzheimer's and how people handle that. I love how you wrote this. It just draws me to the book which I now must go check out and possibly read a sample of it. Well done on this. Thank you.
Everything happens for a reason...
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

cpru68 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 22:43 This one sounds like something I would enjoy just because of the subject of Alzheimer's and how people handle that. I love how you wrote this. It just draws me to the book which I now must go check out and possibly read a sample of it. Well done on this. Thank you.
Thank you very much for the nice words! Happy reading to us!
Misael Carlos
Currently Reading:

Post by Misael Carlos »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 01:00 This book seems to be a catharsis for the author and she seems to have done it gracefully without being overbearing. Thanks for the informative review!
I absolutely agree with you! I should have included this observation. Thank you. Happy reading to us!
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

The title of this book caught my eye. I enjoyed reading your review. I think I would like this book a lot. I like that it is about love and forgetting the past hurts. That isn't always something easy to do. I like that the book offers insight and wisdom as well. I think we all could use a little bit of both from time to time.
Mac :techie-reference:
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

This book sounds very painful to read, it also sound touching and something that will give you hope. I don't know someone with Alzheimer's disease, but I saw one film that has a character with Alzheimer. And watching that film has been really emotional, you can see how other characters around her tried their best not to break in front of her, every time she forgets someone's name.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”